User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Would other truckdrivers look down on you for driving slower

Seeing as how I'm 19, most people would think I'm a regular speed demon on the road. On the contrary, I'm a real slowpoke. Sometimes I like to drive 5, and sometimes even 10 miles below the speed limit, depending on if I have anywhere to be anytime soon or not. Nothing beats taking it easy listening to some good music, plus your vehicle will last longer too. (won't tear up as much). (talking about my personal vehicle, not just a commercial vehicle)

Problem is, at work, the other guys are always rushing me to speed up a little bit, even when I'm going the at a regular pace. Of course, I don't let them bother me, I always say p*** on the motherf*****s.

My question is, if I drive at a slower pace than the avg. truckdriver (not real real slow), would I be frowned upon by employers and fellow truckdrivers? A lot of 18-wheelers I see drive 60- 65 mph. in a 55 zone. I also see a fair number of them drive at about 45 downtown on the highway where there are a lot of traffic lights. It always makes me wonder how the h*ll they're going to stop if the light turns red before they go under it. If it was me, I probably wouldn't do over 30, until I got out on the open road.

Once I start driving an 18-wheeler, I don't plan on going so slow I'll back up traffic, but I also don't want to be rushed when I'm going the speed limit.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Drive as you have been driving....you'll do just fine. Many of us tend to actually drive at or below the speed limit...depending on the state and the roads and the conditions.

Why should you worry about what some "ya-hoo" thinks about how you drive? Afterall, would the opinion of someone you may see stopped down the road all embarassed getting a ticket...actually count for even "squat".

Me....I drive a 70mph truck, but rarely drive over 65... and no, I don't give a flip what some ya-hoo BBR thinks.... :shock: 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Default Re: Would other truckdrivers look down on you for driving sl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas

My question is, if I drive at a slower pace than the avg. truckdriver (not real real slow), would I be frowned upon by employers and fellow truckdrivers?
Who cares what other drivers think? Drive at the speed you feel comfortable. Safety is more important than speed. However, do NOT be an obstruction. If people are having to slam on the brakes to avoid running into you, that is not safe either. So, keep in mind what the speed limit, and the speed of traffic around you is. In fact, always be aware of what is around you.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:42 AM
Board Regular

The only time guys should be entitled to get a little cranked at you is if you're taking 10 miles to pass someone or you're poking in the middle lane of a 3 lane road when there isn't any traffic in the slow lane. Other than that, relax and enjoy the ride.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:53 AM
Rookie

Who cares what others think. Dont hog the passing lane and take your time.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:11 AM

OK, I'll be the first to offer a contrarian opinion.

On multilane highways, drive as you like and let others pass, no problems there.

But if you are driving 10mph under the speed limit on a two lane road during good weather, you are a rolling roadblock and thus a hazard. If you have no reasonable reason for doing so (ie: weather, congestion, presence of children around the roadway) then knock it off. You may be enjoying the slow cruise, but the 50 people behind you are not. It's rather selfish of you to ignore the public around you for the sake of your own enjoyment, especailly when your "enjoyment" is creating a hazard.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:15 AM
Senior Board Member

You'll not only be safer, but you will also save a lot of fuel. This will likely help you earn additional bonuses for your fuel usage. More people should think and drive as you do... I drive this way in my POV also. I just stay out of other peoples way, have fun, and just relax and enjoy the drive...

That is after all why we all choose to drive in the first place right?

Longsnowsm
Old 10-09-2006, 04:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat
OK, I'll be the first to offer a contrarian opinion.

On multilane highways, drive as you like and let others pass, no problems there.

But if you are driving 10mph under the speed limit on a two lane road during good weather, you are a rolling roadblock and thus a hazard. If you have no reasonable reason for doing so (ie: weather, congestion, presence of children around the roadway) then knock it off. You may be enjoying the slow cruise, but the 50 people behind you are not. It's rather selfish of you to ignore the public around you for the sake of your own enjoyment, especailly when your "enjoyment" is creating a hazard.
BINGO! This is the truth.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:13 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I work on the outskirts of Boston and leave at 2pm every day on a busy 4 lane highway and we all move at a pretty good clip. The speed limit is 55 but most are doing between 70 and 80. The police are nowhere to be found as I hear it would cause major problems. One day the traffic was doing the accordion thing, 45 then 70 then 45. I realized it was someone in the second slow lane doing the speed limit causing the backup. Everyone was moving over to the left and causing people to slow down. When I took my road test the ramp off the highway was about 1/2 mile long and straight. The ramp speed was 30 and people were passing me the whole way even though it was only one lane. I asked the DOT officer and he said keep up with the flow after you start driving. Right now I'm still new at this and the speed limit suits me just fine. I stay in the slow lane and put up with having to give way to people entering the highway.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:19 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Most people don't realize it, but a cop can give you a ticket for going to slow.