User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 04:59 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thinking about a career in truck driving.

Im thinking about going for a a career in truck driving. I am also thinking about a career in Mechanical engineering. How much can I make as a truck driver. I will still go to college and get a degree reguardless of what I do. Will I get paid any more because I have a degree? What is the most I can expect to make? What about working as an independent contractor? Is it better? Can you make any more than a company worker? How safe is this job of truckdriving? I have always liked to idea of truckdriving. I think it would be cool to see the nation. I would be willing to not always be home every night, but I would like to be home most of the time. I see most truckers take a dog with them? How does this work? Who are some good companies to work with? Knight seems to have good pay and good employee relations. Anything else I should know about truck driving? My main concern tho is pay and safety. Thank you and have a nice night.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Driving vs Engineer

Become an engineer.

How much can I make as a truck driver. Mid $30k starting out. Will I get paid any more because I have a degree? No. What is the most I can expect to make? Hard to say depending union driver or not. What about working as an independent contractor? Can you run your own business? Is it better? Depends. Can you make any more than a company worker? Yes, but ALL the expenses are on you. How safe is this job of truckdriving? Not as dangerous as mining or working on a carrier flightdeck. I think it would be cool to see the nation. If you don't mind seeing the nation thru a windshield, but you're hauling freight, not being a tourist. I would be willing to not always be home every night, but I would like to be home most of the time. Think local and you may start as a dock worker. Get your engineering degree. I see most truckers take a dog with them? How does this work? If the company allows it, you pay a deposit to have the truck cleaned after you depart. Who are some good companies to work with? Most entry level companies are pretty much the same. Knight seems to have good pay and good employee relations. Don't believe all you see in print or hear from recruiters. Anything else I should know about truck driving? Get your engineering degree. BOL
Old 10-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Board Regular

GunNut...........Sealord has hit the nail on the head.........you wanna become a trucker because you think it's some glamorous job........you've been watching Convoy or Smokey and the Bandit way too much......

It sounds like you don't really know what you want to do..........okay, what kid does in reality......here's an idea........go drive for a year, see what it's all about........get the real story up front in person first hand. I'll be willing to bet you'll run back to college.........and you'll have a driving reason to.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Rookie

I know it not a glamorous job, but you guys wouldn't recommend it? What is the most you can expect to make?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Board Regular

After 28 years in the Architectural profession, I made the jump to driving simply because it was time for something else..........I was completely burned out from Architecture...........would I recommend driving for anybody else........that depends. What do you want out of life?

You will meet some of the most honest and nicest folks on earth in trucking......and you'll meet some of the scum of the earth. Don't expect to be included on too many social calander events with the elite society memebers in your town. What I like about the trucking industry is the people are real. What you see is what you get.

At first you're not going to make that much.........first year drivers will make somewhere between 27 - 35K gross for the year I'd say is the average......

Compare that to 4 years in college and by the fourth year driving you could easily be grossing in the 50's...........as a new engineer fresh out of college, a starting salary of 45 -55k isn't uncommon.........if you get your PE, 65-80 isn't unheard of............

You're not going to make that kind of money as a company driver. As an O/O yeah..... but now we're talking about something else....

How are you going to pay for college? Student loans? grants? or did grandad set up a tuition fund that will pay for all 4 years......

There are way too many variables that you haven't tossed out there yet.

Driving OTR you're going to be on the road 3-5 weeks at a time as a norm. On the average, I'd say you're going to take 1 day off for each week out.......Your HOS for the day is a 14 hour window.....no more than 11 hours driving before you have to take a 10 hour break........remember you're only getting paid for the miles driven, so you're going to have some long days at times..............at the end of that day, you'll find someplace to park it for the night (TS or RS) for your 10 hour rest period...........you're living in a space the size of a walking in closet. Your schedule is changing everyday...........can you live like that?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespalette
. What do you want out of life? Well, payin, and stability. And change.

How are you going to pay for college? Student loans? grants? or did grandad set up a tuition fund that will pay for all 4 years......
A mix between those. And I will pay the rest out the ass.

you're living in a space the size of a walking in closet. Your schedule is changing everyday...........can you live like that? Yea, thats not a problem.
College is my TOP, TOP, TOP priority. I will go t ocollege reguardless of anything.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

How exactly are you planning on going to college when you're driving OTR? You're going to be away from home 10-20 days at a time, and home 2-3 days.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:51 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
How exactly are you planning on going to college when you're driving OTR? You're going to be away from home 10-20 days at a time, and home 2-3 days.
I plan to drive after college.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:16 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTGunNut
I plan to drive after college.
PPBBBFFFTTTT..spittle forget college. We have plenty of college grads. Just drive truck. In a couple three years ...you can be a Roads Scholar. You can buy your own truck and trailer with the money you'd blow on some college.

Now we do have lots of college educated people driving. But most of them slaved at some other profession for 15-20 years before they wised up, and became a Trucker. :?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:24 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
You could always do the University of Phoenix online thing... But like Roadhog said, "College? You don't need no stinking college!"

Seriously though, yes you can make 45-55K in trucking in your first year. It's all about choosing the right company and doing enough hard work to earn that. Some companies will let you earn that AND get you home on the weekends (see Maverick or TMC). You get enough experience and you just might land that cush local union driving job that gets you home every night and gives you 60K+ and phenominal bennies.

I'm one of those college educated truck drivers. I have a Bachelor's degree in IT. Got bored with the IT field, worked in sales for several years and then got into trucking. I've made as much money with trucking as I made with the other endeavors and I enjoy trucking a heck of a lot more. My college Economics professor had a saying "The world needs ditch diggers too.". The number one thing is do what you're happy doing. Trucking isn't for everyone, but college isn't either. The call is yours to make, just educated yourself about both and make an informed decision.

As for Owner Operators, they do make more money, but the spend a lot more also. You have to be extremely good at managing your time and money to to succeed or you could end up with nothing.

Good luck!