User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 02:20 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pay

I am 39 years old and I wanted to ask the experienced drivers a question. Not counting the time away from home or the distance, but what is the most money I can make the first year as a company driver if they pay my way through school? I mean if I go balls to the wall and drive, drive, drive with the longest amount of time away from home, what is the most possible amount I can make?
Old 10-04-2006, 03:15 AM
Board Regular

$30,000-$35,000.

Seriously.

Check into your state's Workforce (or similar) program. They often will pay for your training. Hell, I went to HCC and an earlier class had a HOMELESS guy in it. He literally lived in the trees near the campus. They helped him out, trained him, one of the instructors loaned him some clothes for an interview, now he's hired and rolling with Stevens I think.

You would even be better off getting a credit card and paying for the school yourself and then hiring on with one of the entry flatbed companies such as Arrow, Maverick, or TMC. $50,000 is easily attainable with any of those. You could easily pay off the card in 6 months.

Llicense in hand starting green is way more lucrative than the training/slave routine.

-p.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Call TMC's recruiting department tomorrow 1-800-247-2460 ext 7605 (me, Fred) or ask for Fred or Matt. We may be able to get you sponsored where TMC will get you a loan and help you pay it off as long as you are employed by TMC. If you quit in your first year, you will have to repay the loan. If you stay a year, TMC pays the loan.
Earning $50,000 is do-able and some have made more (given your desire to run hard).

Good Luck,
Fred
Old 10-05-2006, 03:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Fred is correct, 50K is very obtainable if you go with the right company. Maverick or TMC would both give you the opportunity to earn this and I know that Indy is a great area to live for just about any company out there.

As for drive, drive, drive and stay out the longest amount of time from home, maybe that is what you want, but my opinion is why stay out if you don't have to? I know a lot of guys who drive dry van and stay out a few weeks at a time just to make 50K, but there are companies that will get you home every weekend (or nearly) and still let you make that same 50K. There are never any guarantees and there are a lot of things that can go wrong on any given day, but for the most part it's up to the individual.

I know it's a bad word on these forum's but I know a few guys who work for Swift on the Family Dollar and other similar runs and they pull in a grand or better per week and are home for a day and a half to 2 days per week. Even if you go out with a company that keeps you out for weeks at a time and you run, run, run you will still need a restart so why not get that at home?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Senior Board Member

If you don't mind working your a$$ off...

Try Continental Express in Sidney, Ohio. They run a lot of overnight refer freight to grocer receivers... but they pay well and they have good equipment. They also have 4 weeks of paid vacation- you pick one week and every 13 weeks, you get a week off based on that one week. And they pay you based on your average weekly pay the previous 13 weeks. This is what they used to do- you'd need to check if it's still the same. This is NOT Continental Express out of Arkansas. I dont know anything about them.

They won't pay for your schooling but you have to consider that you may make more money overall if you go with another company and pay for the schooling yourself? Can you not go to the bank and get a loan? And some schools offer a payment plan.

Trucking School Info
Old 10-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Senior Board Member

It's these guys:
Continental Express- Ohio (800-497-2100)
Not these guys:
Continental Express- Arkansas
Old 10-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm now on TMC's dedicated and I'm home EVERY night, have weekends off, and get a GUARANTEED base pay minimum of $1000.00 per week
Old 10-10-2006, 01:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
I'm now on TMC's dedicated and I'm home EVERY night, have weekends off, and get a GUARANTEED base pay minimum of $1000.00 per week
Damn Yankee! Makes me want to move up there! No, seriously! 8)
Old 10-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Rookie

The reason I asked, is because I got hired to be a civilian contractor in Kuwait, and I will be gone a year, with one month of time off to be with my family... Thats why I thought about driving as much as I can that first year, and even though I wont be home as much, I would still me home mroe then if I were in Kuwait..

I can afford to pay my way through school, so that wont be a problem.. That's why I asked which company would pay the most if I were out as much as I can the first year...
Old 10-12-2006, 08:42 PM

Check with your state for a work program. That will save you thousands. Not just in tuition, but in pay. ANY company who offers tuition reimbursment or to pay for your school takes it out of your pay. You may just not know about it.