User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 05:22 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Reality Is Right Around The Corner

Well, tonight is my last night at my house for a little bit. I went out to the vista point that over looks Vallejo with my wife of 17+ years and saw about 15-20 trucks maybe more. The First truck in the front of the Vista entry ramp was SWIFT.

Tomorrow night I get to sleep in a strange hotel room and then up at 6am to start school and begin to miss my wife and daughter. I know they'll be ok. As stated in one of my earlier posts, my wife makes a bit of money working for the State of CA on the professional level for the past 25 years, but I still can't help worrying about her and my little 13 yr old princess while I'm gone.

As I told my wife, even if I can get home every few weeks, I want to run and make money (and to show Swift that I am a team player) and stay out maybe a month to six weeks at a stretch. I may change my mind as the "romance" may run real thin real quick, but as stated in the title of my post, the reality truly is right around the corner.

This time tomorrow night I will be at the hotel (with my cell phone stuck to my ear) waiting for school to start on Tuesday. I'll keep a written journal and transpose it on the weekends while i spend the next 3 weeks going to school to let you all know how I'm doing. 8)
Old 10-02-2006, 07:34 AM
Senior Board Member

I wish you luck, but I would have probably just gone to the trucking school and went and haul for one of the ag haulers to get some experience and then (living in Vallejo) went to work for on of the container haulers or one of the LTL line haul fleets.

There are plenty of people driving basically during the harvest seasons and taking the winters off out there ( I used to be a Vacavillian)

Best of Luck!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
I wish you luck, but I would have probably just gone to the trucking school and went and haul for one of the ag haulers to get some experience and then (living in Vallejo) went to work for on of the container haulers or one of the LTL line haul fleets.

There are plenty of people driving basically during the harvest seasons and taking the winters off out there ( I used to be a Vacavillian)

Best of Luck!
Hmmm... that's a thought 8) I don't have my CDL yet and am going to the school starting Tursday. I also want to do the OTR thing for a year or two coast to coast, then...

( I hope the OTRs from up north don't shoot you for calling the weather from Oct to March "Winter" :wink
Old 10-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Get your OTR time in and go haul some gas or propane out of the various refineries out there. I loved that! Of course the company I was working for went "belly up" and sold out to the cheapkates at Button Transport, :roll:
Old 10-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Get your OTR time in and go haul some gas or propane out of the various refineries out there. I loved that! Of course the company I was working for went "belly up" and sold out to the cheapkates at Button Transport, :roll:
Thats my plan, get my OTR experience then drive Regional or Local. Being this close to the Oakland docks I'm sure I can get LTL's or whatever else I amy want. The bay area is full of opportunity for drivers. I just want to do the OTR thing for a while.

Check Craigs list or Solano jobs or Daily Republic websites and they usually have a bunch or CDL jobs available, not even talking about the jobs you see when you drive to the Oakland docks.

I could even run the I5 and do well. Your being from Vacaville you know its less than 45 minutes to a few major arteries as well as actually being an exit off the I80.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Senior Board Member

The only teamwork in trucking that I know of is whoever you talk to on the cb and maybe another driver giving you advice...