User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default new trucker -info about $

hi there,
please let me know , as a canadian new truck driver how much$ i can get per month.i'm ready to do long ones, Ontario - California. My plan is to work as hard as i can so i can save money to buy a house .Do u think that in 3-4 years of hard working as a truck driver i can save around 300 000 $350 000$?
my monthly expens. are 2000 $, family expens.

Please give some info, about how much $i can make as a truck driver.

Some people told me $ 12000 per month.....some, $20 000 /month....
that's mean that if i want to buy my own truck with 50 000 $,
and i make 12000 / month.....6000 goes back in truck expens.and 6000 goes to my family?

Please help me out with some real numbers .
thx,
martonko.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Default $$$$

You will not make anything close to that kind of money. There will be others that will give you specifics, but realistically you should figure to make around $4,000 per month if you are lucky.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Senior Board Member

You say you are a new truck driver but you also say you want numbers for being an owner operator. I hope you have not already signed on the dotted line- trucking is unlike any other profession (and I use the term loosely...). You really need to understand the business before you jump in and buy a truck- and in most cases, if you really understand the business, you WON'T jump in and buy a truck.

The problem with "numbers" is that there are so many variables. There are guys making $2+ per mile but running lower miles and guys making $.80 per mile and running their butts off (these are o/o numbers here). In my opinion, owner operators who settle for low pay and high miles are hurting themselves. The companies can afford to pay their company drivers high rates and still make profits but it doesn't add up to the rates they pay their o/o- I think the o/o are getting royally screwed by the companies as well as the rates.

Here is an article I highly recommend- nah- here's 3 articles. They are all a little different but they are worth looking into if you are thinking about buying a truck. These companies target new drivers who don't know any better- and it sounds like you may be a target.

Trucking Owner Operator Traps
Trucking Lease Purchase Scam
Tips for Buying a Truck

You will never be able to save $6,000 per month (IMO) if you buy a truck. If your goal is to save money- especially over the short term- you are MUCH wiser to stay a company driver with no truck hanging over your head.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Senior Board Member

You can buy houses with no money down if you have good credit. You only need a job to make the payments.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

I can not really give you any figures, but here is something to consider.

Until you get a few years of experience insurance is going to be extremely expensive, assuming you can find anyone to insure you at all.

Also I can tell you this. Working hard in trucking is only about 5% of it. The other 95% is working smart.

If you want to drive a truck then start out driving for someone else. Make sure trucking is for you before you jump in and buy a truck. Learn the ropes and then in 3 or 4 years if you want to own your own truck you will have a better chance of succeding then if you jump right in to being an O/O.

BTW: I know quite a few company drivers who actually take home more than many of the O/O's I know.

In the end....it is not how much you gross that matters. It is how much is left after the bills are paid.