LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
One, what Fozz is saying is shifts aren't made during a turn. And BTW, I started pulling a flatbed, 7 weeks with a trainer, when JB had their flatbed division (later Charger) and wouldn't have done it any other way. I saw nothing going on with a box. BOL
I never suggested to shift during a turn...I said 'around a turn'. Maybe thats easily misunderstood so I shall clarify:
It is very important for a driver to be able to choose the right gear for negotiating a turn before starting into a turn, a gear that will have you going through the turn comfortably while providing adequate power to maintain your speed through it. I usually slow to the speed I figure will be safe (yellow advisory signs are often helpful) and then slite the shifter into the gear to maintain that speed.

My original post was not really intended as a tutorial, more to give noobs an idea of how much extra a headache it would be to learn to drive AND learn to flatbed at the same time. I feel I have an obligation to make my assessment available to people like 'Topper' because id hate to see a thread entitled 'lost a load of pipe within my first week on the road and got fired and need new career, cause noone will hire me now.'.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Good post? Yes. Bad Title? Yes. Should read Flatbed is not for everyone. I know quite a few newbies who are doing excellent, myself included, with flatbedding. I enjoy the daily challenges and the feeling of accomplishment I get every time I experience securing a new type of freight.
With a bit of common sense and proper training, it's not all that difficult and due to the more extensive training flatbed drivers receive (or should receive), I believe it is safer than driving a van. Some individuals may actually be looking for more of a challenge in truck driving than holding a steering wheel and filling out their paperwork properly. Not saying that van driving is easy. In fact in many ways it can be more dangerous. There are crosswinds to deal with that don't affect flatbeds as much and then there's the issue of just "closing the cargo doors and going down the road" only to have the load shift and roll you over or flat out tear through the side of the van and land in the road. Driving a van is every bit as dangerous as a flatbed and sometimes more so since you can't SEE what your load is doing. Many drivers think the van body will hold or protect the load and it just might, if you're hauling diapers. Good load securement is MANDATORY in a van too but is RARELY done properly, if at ALL.
I have NEVER had a load shift or a single freight claim against me. I HAVE seen beautiful and interesting places when delivering to job sites and have "played with" countless amazing (to me) big machines. I love the adventure and respect I get every day as a flatbed driver and the physical shape my body is in is better at 40 years of age than it has been in my entire life.
Going down the road I feel safe and secure in the knowlege that I secured my OWN load and not some 18 year old dock worker with his girlfriend, not my safety, on his mind.
ANY questions or concerns regarding driving flatbeds??? PM me anytime.

Sorry for the long post. ops:
Old 10-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Besides, can you do THIS with a van???

Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

I agree with Fred. Common sense and proper training. I started on a flat bed with no major problems, plus I made more money than a van. 4 Hrs to do a coil? There couldnt have been ANY training at all. Its a 15 to 30 minute job, maybe an hour if you have to tarp in the wind, I dont know...Anyway, all types of driving require training and common sense. Ask the Swift driver I saw sitting at a light in Metamora Il. He had a van and it looked like he got caught off guard at the stop light or he got brake checked but anyway his load came right thru the front of the trailer. No common sense, not paying attention, proper following distance, whatever happened it could have easily been avoided and it had nothing to do with flatbedding. With vans you have to worry about bridge heights more so than a flat, there's dozens of differences but they ALL require your respect and full attention. Do this and you can drive whatever you want.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Senior Board Member

15-30 mins to secure a coil? yeah, right- Mr.SUPERTRUCKER.
Ok, you two might be 'special' (nice work on the pic, Goldiesplating) but most noobs are overwhelmed just by the key points mentioned in the original post and do not need to be burdened by the extra headache of securing loads etc. The first challenge is learning how to drive- one thing at a time! The extra stress can be avoided. and as we know, stress and fatigue go hand in hand- and so does a greater chance of forgetting something or making a mistake. ONE mistake as a rookie can cost you your job and career more so than as a vet, from what we read in these forums.

Im just saddedend by reading posts by rookies that had no idea what was in store for them and am trying to help. Posting that it was no problem for you, is not constructive to educating a potential rookie flatbedder and preparing them for whats ahead. How often do we see posts like: "Flatbed or van?" those are the people that need to read this and will be thankful for our input, someone that has decided to go flatbed already is less likely to get overwhelmed by being a rookie in flatbedding and will not be swayed from his decision by our words of caution.
Those that go into flatbedding for a few cpm more are not those that care too much what they pull are the ones most interested, and need to hear my points.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Agreed One. NOW you made a good point! hehehe Actually I had FUN messin' with your pic. hehe
Old 10-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
I agree with Fred. Common sense and proper training. I started on a flat bed with no major problems, plus I made more money than a van. 4 Hrs to do a coil? There couldnt have been ANY training at all. Its a 15 to 30 minute job, maybe an hour if you have to tarp in the wind, I dont know...
How on earth do you chain and tarp a coil in 15 to 30 minutes? I never did that many coils, but typically it'd take me at least an hour to do a good job. Plenty of chains, metal edge protectors, a strap or two, padding tarp, steel tarp tight as a drum. It'd take me 15 minutes just to get started with the first couple of chains, much less finish the job. Maybe you're one of those hotshots that run through Chicago with two chains on a 45,000+lb coil and no tarp. :roll:
Old 10-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Senior Board Member

When you do it everyday you get pretty good at it. Leave your racks and chains in place, then when you get there you just throw them thru the eye and tighten your ratchet binders. If you have the proper strength equipment 45k requires 4-6 secrements depending on shotgun vs suicide. Not that hard to tighten 6 ratchets. I was referring to the act of securing and not waiting, checking in and out etc, you can't control waiting for the shipper. If I wasnt already setup for a coil and knew thats where I was going then I would setup after I delivered, or I would setup while waiting in line. I was always legal. Point is, its alot closer to 30 minutes then 4 hrs. Maybe you were one of the guys always holding up the line! :roll: I'll race ya if you want, same securements.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Senior Board Member

One,

No supertrucker here, everyone I worked with could chain down a coil in 30 minutes. Just providing a different viewpoint, thats what the forum is for. Tarping would take longer but we had covered wagons, although some guys who tarp are pretty darn fast at it.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Senior Board Member