User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2006, 03:19 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Just finished my Training at Swift

Just finished training at Swift in KC Mo. It was a good experience and they had good instructors, they had good equipment and plenty of trucks an the accommodations were good. My class was small (9) people ...started with 18. all the instructors were willing to take time with you and make sure you were learning what you needed to know.I believe everyone in my class passed with a 90 plus avg. both at the school and the DMV. I am now going to attend orientation and then go 6 weeks on the road with a mentor...Hope to get a good one.

Dirtclod.......now for the real training ...seat time!!!!!!!!!!![/b]
Old 10-01-2006, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Congrats! Enjoy the big road!

Longsnowsm
Old 10-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Senior Board Member

dirtclod, congratulations. I hope you get a good mentor too.

I have seen too many "mentors" who stand at the parking spot while their trainee attempts to back in- it makes me mad when they make a bunch of degrading comments when the guy (who totally is brand new) doesn't do it right. I'm thinking "if the trainer was worth a d**n, he'd know which way to tell the guy to turn the wheel."

Backing is only one aspect of driving- but it's important when you need to park. We've all seen the truck at the truck stop that got backed into... ouch. I've helped drivers who were new and turning the wheel wrong to back in properly- and I never look down on them. Any driver who is willing to accept help will be able to learn. The guys who strut around putting their trainee down (but who don't know how to back up too well themselves) are dangerous in my opinion.

Sounds like you have a good attitude. Look forward to running into you (ha ha- bad joke) on the road. BOL.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:51 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety bird
dirtclod, congratulations. I hope you get a good mentor too.

I have seen too many "mentors" who stand at the parking spot while their trainee attempts to back in- it makes me mad when they make a bunch of degrading comments when the guy (who totally is brand new) doesn't do it right. I'm thinking "if the trainer was worth a d**n, he'd know which way to tell the guy to turn the wheel."

Backing is only one aspect of driving- but it's important when you need to park. We've all seen the truck at the truck stop that got backed into... ouch. I've helped drivers who were new and turning the wheel wrong to back in properly- and I never look down on them. Any driver who is willing to accept help will be able to learn. The guys who strut around putting their trainee down (but who don't know how to back up too well themselves) are dangerous in my opinion.

Sounds like you have a good attitude. Look forward to running into you (ha ha- bad joke) on the road. BOL.
backing is my weakness. i know which direction to turn to the(turn wheel left=trailer goes right) but i thing i oversteer. if i get past this backing i will be okay. does anyone have any tips for a newbie?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:25 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrevdogg
backing is my weakness. i know which direction to turn to the(turn wheel left=trailer goes right) but i thing i oversteer. if i get past this backing i will be okay.
You can tell backing is your problem because you have to think about which way to turn the wheel. Don?t sweat it, because it?ll come to you eventually. When you get to the point that you just turn the wheel without thinking about it is when you will be able to back good.

Quote:
does anyone have any tips for a newbie?
Some advice?setting up properly is 80 percent of the job. If you get your ass end set up right and pointing in the right direction then backing is much easier. So learn what you have to do with the front end of the truck to get the back end stationed right.

To prevent over-steering you have to learn to anticipate where your tandems will be and correct ahead of time. If you wait till they are where you want them to be before you start your correction, you?ve waited too long. Basically the trick is to learn to drive the tandems and walk the trailer where you want it to go. Not that hard to do once you get the hang of it, but it takes a little time and lots of practice, practice, practice.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2006, 02:09 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the support ...I am sure it will be a learning experience..but I am looking forward to all of it ...I am a welder and fabricator and have been ready for a change for awhile ...not that it s a bad job ...its just hot and dirty and have done it since 1977...it was a good career and I was always able to find work ...I am just ready to do something else ( Have always wanted to drive big rigs) ...I really get stoked when I See a sharp 18 wheeler ( Kenworth or Peterbuilt all decked out ) I like them all ...can't wait until I get some seat time under my belt ....If It is anything like welding ..there are alot of things you just can't teach in a classroom.....It takes experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway I am looking forward to a new career in Trucking

Over and out ...Dirtclod