User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Older Driver...Needs a New Start

I'm 45 years old and I'm looking to start driving again..I have over 3 years of driving over the road experience
But my experience is more than 10 years old of Driving over the road...I still have my Class A Driver Lic's
with "T" endorsment,with update Health Card..I Kept my CDL's up to date,Because,I knew when my kids
Got grown?..I would want to start driving again..Well,"they are grown"(ha..ha)...and I also kept my CDL's
up to date?Because,I have a good friend that owns a construction business? That I help from time to time
To move his heavy equipment (dozer, backhoe, etc...)on a lowboy, around town......I don't have any problem
Driving a Tractor Trailer, or even Backing into tight places, or even Heavy Traffic does not bother me... But, log Books and the Federal Regulation?s, I would like to Brush up on....Maybe some type of refresher Class? any suggestions?
Old 09-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

What is a guy from Tennessee doing with Alabama? :wink: Where do you live in Tennessee? If you have kept your CDL current for the last 3 years, you may find a owner operator or small carrier who will help you get back in the saddle again. Insurance is the thing most need to over come. They check your MVR to see how long you have held your CDL. If you feel the need to brush up, you may consider taking a course at a local state vocational school, such as Chattanooga State, if you live nearby. It will cost much less than the private schools.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

TMC often asks that drivers attend a "refresher" cdl course available at most cdl schools and some universities. Also you are by NO means "old"!!!
TMC (a flatbed company I work for) hires people your (our) age all the time. If you have any questions feel free to PM or email me anytime.

Good luck driver,
Fred
Old 10-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
What is a guy from Tennessee doing with Alabama? :wink: Where do you live in Tennessee? If you have kept your CDL current for the last 3 years, you may find a owner operator or small carrier who will help you get back in the saddle again. Insurance is the thing most need to over come. They check your MVR to see how long you have held your CDL. If you feel the need to brush up, you may consider taking a course at a local state vocational school, such as Chattanooga State, if you live nearby. It will cost much less than the private schools.
I know I hear it all the time I live in Lewisburg Tennessee..I have kept my CDL current for over 15 years :shock: My MVR is spotless..Iam just looking for a Good Company or Owner Operator who will treat me fair,and pay a good wage,...I dont like"Changing Jobs"..So,Iam going to do some research..Then when I pick the right Company or Owner Operator..."I will be there awhile"...If you can suggestions?Please send them my way...
Thanks
Henry
Old 10-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Senior Board Member

For brushing up on regs. you can get a copy of the green book at most truck stops for a few bucks and read this site. A lot of logbook stuff can be found here too and at L18wheels.com website and forums. They actually have illustrations ad logging examples. Logging is really easy. you dont need a refresher course, they would likely not teach much about logging and regs.
Maybe running equipment around for someone in your area is perfect for you! Unless you go over 150 miles radius from your company HQ, no logbook needed. GL