User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 12:34 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Want some opinions.........

Let me explain the situation first............

About a year and a half ago, I was enrolled in school at a local university, and I was a member of the baseball team there. The team had a hazing ritual that I foolishly took part in. Anyways, word got out, and since there was alcohol involved, all underage members of the team that took part were charged with Underage Drinking and Disorderly Conduct through the university. This information is on my student discipline record at the university. I was NOT arrested, did NOT have to appear in court, and the law/police were in NO WAY involved in the incident.

I understand that all these companies do background checks on all applicants. Since this was only through the university and I was not in trouble with the law, do you think this will rule me out of having a chance at a career as a truck driver? Wherever I apply, I will have to prove my enrollment in school, so do you think this information could be discovered and held against me even though it wasn't involving law enforcement?

Any help here is greatly appreciated. Just give me your opinions if you feel up to it. Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 09-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Board Regular
Default good luck

good luck
Old 09-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Since there is not any crimminal record then I would not bring it up.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:44 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Want some opinions.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv189
Let me explain the situation first............

About a year and a half ago, I was enrolled in school at a local university, and I was a member of the baseball team there. The team had a hazing ritual that I foolishly took part in. Anyways, word got out, and since there was alcohol involved, all underage members of the team that took part were charged with Underage Drinking and Disorderly Conduct through the university. This information is on my student discipline record at the university. I was NOT arrested, did NOT have to appear in court, and the law/police were in NO WAY involved in the incident.

I understand that all these companies do background checks on all applicants. Since this was only through the university and I was not in trouble with the law, do you think this will rule me out of having a chance at a career as a truck driver? Wherever I apply, I will have to prove my enrollment in school, so do you think this information could be discovered and held against me even though it wasn't involving law enforcement?

Any help here is greatly appreciated. Just give me your opinions if you feel up to it. Thanks in advance.

Tom
Not sure how much of a check a company will ask about University problems. Ask Twilight Flyer-he would probably know.
My "Guess" is that you don't have much to worry about-Remember-that's just my Opinion. It COULD be discovered if they look hard enough though. Don't know if they'll go that deep.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:05 AM
Senior Board Member

It depends on the University and how their Law Enforcement is accredited. It it is a state school, then they may be accredited through the state. If a background check is done it will show up. This is the way it is for the University of Texas, I do not speak for any other state or university.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:34 AM

Yeah, it was a state school. From what I understand, the information can only be obtained if my consent is given. The bad thing is that in order to be hired, you have to give your consent to conduct a background check. I'm probably out of luck.

Funny, I guess all truck drivers out there are perfect and have never made a mistake in their lives, whether it was through the law or not. That is what these companies would lead you to believe.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:36 AM
Board Regular
Default everyone has skeletons in their past

everyone has something they don't like in their past, i would go 4 it and try and see if i could get hired on applications here. but b4 going 2 far i would go 2 police dept and ask them if they would tell you what is on your background test or even go online and see what comes up 4 you on here, it may cost you some money, but would be not worth wasting time and money 2 go 2 trucking school and not get your hopes up and then dashed down again? i hope you can truck, but if not try something else like doing yard dog for a few years for a company like overnight or yellow and you may be able to get in that way? goodluck