User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hello fellow Hoosier! I would suggest looking into companies that have no touch freight. Most of the major carriers will have no touch freight. Also look at getting into a dedicated account. Alot of those are drop and hook. But, being a new driver it will be hard to find one, not impossible, but hard. I know you hear alot of negativity about Swift but they have a great-lakes regional out of Indiana that is 100% no touch drop and hook. At least that is what I am told. Good luck to you.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsherm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dle
If you haven't done it yet - you might want to use the search function to look for things like WIA, training companies, financing training etc.

Good luck in your research, I took a year before I decided to do it.

BTW, what were/are you doing? I was a computer programmer.
I've been debateing this for over a year.I'm a Corrections Officer for Indiana and after 13 years I'm a little burned out and would like a definite change of senery my only real reluctance is the fact that I had a pretty major back surgery 5 years ago and I'm not entirely sure that I could handle the rigors of having to off load several thousands of pounds of freight...The driving part with todays new equipment i don't think would bother me too bad...but I'm still looking for a company that is mostly drop and hook or that is mostly no-touch freight.
It's called a mid-life crisis and we all went through it. But in your case you should suck it up at your present job. Get your pension. Watch your kids grow up. Then drive truck if you still want to. Believe me it wont take 13 years to get burned out in trucking. See your kids every two weeks? C'mon! Food for thought.
Fact is I'm already vested...The retirement for the State of Indiana is Atrocious, The money that Indiana pays their employees is the 4th lowest paid in the U.S. And at 37 I hardly consider this a Mid-Life crisis...and in order to draw a pension...I'd have to stick around untill I'm 62 ( No thanks)
Old 09-29-2006, 02:33 AM
Default Re: Help Please

Quote:
I'm Totally new to this profession and would like some advise from the Senior guys out here...can you tell me which in your opinion is a good company to go with...I have no experience.I would like to see my kids at least once every 2 weeks...any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys
USXpress is my recommendation and they got me home every 7-10 days. If you want to be home once every two weeks, I think most of the OTR companies already do that.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:44 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_ryder
Quote:
I'm Totally new to this profession and would like some advise from the Senior guys out here...can you tell me which in your opinion is a good company to go with...I have no experience.I would like to see my kids at least once every 2 weeks...any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys
USXpress is my recommendation and they got me home every 7-10 days. If you want to be home once every two weeks, I think most of the OTR companies already do that.
US Xpress can get you home every other weekend if you want. Staying out 7-10 days at a time is a regional run, both of them are decent runs. You still at USX ghost_ryder?

gsherm, PM me if you want the # to the student recruiters out there, I know a good recruiter on the student side.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:47 AM

Roehl has a very good reputation. Not sure where in Indiana you are, but there flat bed division has a terminal in Gary, so they'd likely be a good bet for hometime if you live in the Northern part of the state. Actually they'd be a good bet for hometime if you live anywhere remotely close to an interstate as they run the heck out of that part of the country.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: most all companies now a days are no touch freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl77dar
most all companies are 95% no touch and if you put on your application you cannot lift over 25 lbs the company has to hire a lumper for you or even over 10 lbs for that matter. if u want 2 team let me know non smoking female here

Am I missing something??????????? :?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Fact is I'm already vested...The retirement for the State of Indiana is Atrocious, The money that Indiana pays their employees is the 4th lowest paid in the U.S. And at 37 I hardly consider this a Mid-Life crisis...and in order to draw a pension...I'd have to stick around untill I'm 62 ( No thanks)
So what does "vested" mean if you don't get anything unless you work till 62? Or are you saying you will get something if you quit now, but not till age 62? You're right, that pension doesnt sound as good as I thought it would be. As for mid life crisis believe me, you are old enough! :wink: Alot of guys burn out on their jobs right around 40. I'm 43 BTW, I quit my long time career at 41, but I wasnt leaving a pension plan. Driving is just another job with a different bunch of BS. All I'm saying is to people who have something decent going on now the grass ain't greener. If you dont have anything going on, its a job that can put food on the table.