User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Another question...

This is another one of those questions where I THINK I already know what the answers going to be, but, (like the last question I posted about driving a Bobtail Tractor), I'll ask anyway because the answer may be way different than I anticipated.

Right now I have my Class B learners, meaning I can't drive a straight truck by myself. If I switch and get my Class A learners, would I still have to have another CDL driver in the seat while driving a straight truck? (I'm thinking yes)
Old 09-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

if you have just your learners permit you need someone in the truck with you at all times its doesn't matter if its a class A or B

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Senior Board Member

FWIW, go and get your Class A learners now. It is just one more written test (combination) and then you don't have to take a practical test years later like I did.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Board Regular

Shoot. I knew that THIS question would be good to be true... :sad: Oh well

Thanks for the advice, Maryland. I'm going to go try to take my written exam on Combinations tomorrow. I probably won't pass it because a lot of that stuff in the manual I just can't seem to get inside my head. For example, it mentioned something about the 5th wheel, and to make sure it's turned downward and facing the trailer and also to make sure it's greased properly. But if I don't EVEN KNOW WHAT A 5TH WHEEL IS OR EVEN LOOKS LIKE, how the h*ll am I supposed to know how it functions or what it does???

Luckily, we have a Low Boy, and I've looked at it and identified some of the parts (5th wheel, glad hands, the (red) emergency line and the (blue) service line and stuff like that.) The part of the Combos. that explains about how to distribute your load evenly and also about how to prevent jackknifing and rollovers, I got pretty easily. It's the part that explains about coupling and uncoupling the trailer that's a real brain-teaser for me.. ops: