User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Submit job app's prior to CDL testing?

Hi gang,

I begin my CDL schooling on Monday and was wondering if it would be sensible or reccomended to begin submitting job applications to recruiters before I've even taken the course?

Whats the normal process for this?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Board Regular
Default good luck

good luck
Old 09-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Senior Board Member

I always reccomend students start submitting applications the first week of school. That way you will start having pre-hires by the time you graduate.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
I always reccomend students start submitting applications the first week of school. That way you will start having pre-hires by the time you graduate.
I thought the same thing when I began researching things, Now i believe it is better to have a few companies in mind, and at least make sure you qualify with them BEFORE giving a school your hard earned money. Some companies won't take you from certain schools and some schools will only push companies they are in cahoots with. After playing this school vs company game I feel it's better to have "prequalified" yourself with a company first and then deal with the school issue. Remember, the school wants your money and could care less who you end up working for...most I've found to be this way thus far. I would nail down a few comapnies first. Then talk to the recruiter and make sure you don't have any disqualifying factors and that you're in their hiring zone. Then ask if they will accept students from XYZ school. If all is well at this point, ask when they want your application sent to them.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Senior Board Member

NevadaJim, your points are good ones. It never hurts to research companies ahead of time and make sure that the school you are planning on attending is acceptable to them and also that any skeletons you may have in your closet will not be an issue.

Most companies, however, will not accept and/or process an application before a student is in school.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:46 AM
Senior Board Member

When you put your application in, you aren't hired --- you are pre-hired. That means they do quick checks on your background etc etc. The real processing of your application doesn't start until you actually show up at orientation.

As far as putting in applications before starting school -- yes at least you will know if the companies that YOU are interested in are half-way interested in you.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Senior Board Member

ALL very good (and true) points. When I went through the process, I sent out a bunch of applications through CAD and of those that replied I narrowed it down to a couple of companies I wanted to attend. I then did a LOT of research on those specific companies. I found out their schooling requirements, how many hours they required "school time" as this varies by company. I also checked into which schools they approved of and which they didn't. Which they may reimburse for and which they would pay for up front.
After I had a list of schools I could attend, I checked into THEM and chose the best that fit my needs.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Senior Board Member

I think maybe having a CDL first would look better at applying for work, I should go apply to fly jetliners even though I have no pilots license yet, sounds kinda stupid , yeah it does... try it maybe you will get hired before you graduate, but what if for some reason you failed the test, and your already hired, are you gonna call them and say you will be a bit late for work ?? just lookin at a bigger picture.. good luck
Old 09-29-2006, 03:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymutt
I think maybe having a CDL first would look better at applying for work, I should go apply to fly jetliners even though I have no pilots license yet, sounds kinda stupid , yeah it does... try it maybe you will get hired before you graduate, but what if for some reason you failed the test, and your already hired, are you gonna call them and say you will be a bit late for work ?? just lookin at a bigger picture.. good luck
NOT the best idea. Sounds good but really isn't. Having a CDL is not enough to get hired at TMC unless you also have OTR experience OR have obtained the CDL from a CDL shool approved by TMC. I've seen guys get their CDL's, apply at TMC, and be told "sorry that's NOT enough schooling to work here". They either have to go to a refresher CDL course with better or longer training, or work elsewhere for 3 months before coming to TMC.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:43 AM

GoldiesPlating said:

Quote:
obtained the CDL from a CDL school approved by TMC
What's the best way to find out what schools are approved by TMC? I did not see anything specific on the TMC website. I'm sure TMC would give the thumbs up or down if I call with a specific school. But it would be nice to see a selection of schools.

Is there a master list that we can select from?

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/