User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 04:27 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Life after training

I'm looking into an OTR driving career. I've been spending a lot of time reading what's being posted. Just when it seems I find an answer 5 more questions pop up. I'm 54, living in the Carlisle, PA area. Time away from home is not an issue but I have to live in this area due to some family, property commitments but do not "need to be home" on a regular basis. I would like to do my recharging here when it's available and that's about it. I will need training, Roehl, Millis, Crete and Schneider are who I am looking at. The first three offer a higher CPM per mile once working. I can not seem to get a clear picture about Schneider, most say great for training and not so great as an employer, it doesn't make sense. Schneider and Crete/Shaffer have terminal/dropyards in the area. Crete has Shaffer under their umbrella but I would need 6 months out before Shaffer would even consider me. I have a solid work history, divorced, no kids, 1 speeding ticket 3-4 years ago, no criminal record, no drugs, no alcohol and references would not be a problem, so getting into a training program should be OK. Here's the first of many questions. Am I already dead in the water as far a working for any of these companies, except Schnieder, and living here after training and employment? Any insight would be great, any comments from drivers working/living in the Carlise/Harrisburg area, all the better.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Rookie

I know that you're not dead in the water as far as Millis is concerned. they would probably love someone with your profile. I would check them out
Old 09-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Default Re: Life after training

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile_marker
I'm looking into an OTR driving career. I've been spending a lot of time reading what's being posted. Just when it seems I find an answer 5 more questions pop up. I'm 54, living in the Carlisle, PA area. Time away from home is not an issue but I have to live in this area due to some family, property commitments but do not "need to be home" on a regular basis. I would like to do my recharging here when it's available and that's about it. I will need training, Roehl, Millis, Crete and Schneider are who I am looking at. The first three offer a higher CPM per mile once working. I can not seem to get a clear picture about Schneider, most say great for training and not so great as an employer, it doesn't make sense. Schneider and Crete/Shaffer have terminal/dropyards in the area. Crete has Shaffer under their umbrella but I would need 6 months out before Shaffer would even consider me. I have a solid work history, divorced, no kids, 1 speeding ticket 3-4 years ago, no criminal record, no drugs, no alcohol and references would not be a problem, so getting into a training program should be OK. Here's the first of many questions. Am I already dead in the water as far a working for any of these companies, except Schnieder, and living here after training and employment? Any insight would be great, any comments from drivers working/living in the Carlise/Harrisburg area, all the better.
PA is a PERFECT place to live in this industry. You may want to find a dedicated position. They are easy to find in your area, plus they keep you close to home and most also offer weekends home. I know you said you're not concerned with home time, but why not take it if it's there?

I know we run a Dollar Tree account that is driver unload out of Berwick, PA. Our recent grads are making GREAT money. Avg $1100 weekly and home on weekends.

It wont be hard for you to find something similar.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:53 PM

I second the Millis poster. You will get past your house often with them. A lot of beer out of the Eden NC terminal going right up I81. The training is good and a company you can tolerate the year commitment with also. They will get you the miles too.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Senior Board Member

The Carlisle/Harrisburg area has a ton of freight moving in and out of it and through there everyday. You would not have any problems getting home when you wanted nor would living there be any type of disadvantage.

There are also a lot of companies in that general area with terminals or drop yards (not to mention all the truck stops) so you should not have much of a problem finding a place to park the truck when you are home.