User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 12:09 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default dispatch speed

My co is really lighting a fire under my ass about getting moving within 15 mins of the seal being applied to the trailor and getting to the destination terminal 'on time'. They wont tell me what my etas are however unless i call in and specifically ask. My ETAs are calculated at 50mph allowing for a 15min break on longer runs, but i do not know what the guideline is...Our trucks only run 65mph at best...a 50mph av. means no delays whatsoever, no traffic, no construction zones-only open road, right?
If I have hazmat i should really be checking stuff over closely and be sure the loads are secured right (they never are). Do I have time for that? Not really, I guess I could do what I have to, then call in and let them know what my delay was b4 leaving out....This is the best job Ive ever had, just these issues are a problem...Suggestions??
Old 09-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Talk to your disptacher and explain that if you take off and get stop and they find a violation it is on you. Explain you want to do the best job possible for the company which means you have to make sure everything is legal and you need your breaks to keep you alert and safe on the road
Old 09-26-2006, 01:58 AM
Senior Board Member

The bottom line is that it is your azz, your CDL, and possibly even your freedom on the line. It is up to you to do the right thing and do the job the right way to the best of your ability and knowledge or to let some number crunching moron who probably has never been in a truck run your rig.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most of the time, 50 mph should be about right on the calculations for your deliveries. I have known of some that use 45 mph. Even at 50 mph, you should easily do more than 500 miles per day without killing yourself. In any case, it isn't worth putting yourself or the public in danger to get a load of freight delivered. That doesn't mean that you should take a 3 hour lunch break at a truck stop, but as long as you keep the drivers door closed you shouldn't have any problems making your deliveries, in a timely manner, unless there are unforeseen events, such as a wreck, weather, construction, etc., It is your career that is on the line. If you have concerns, you should voice them with your company starting with your dispatcher. If you feel that you aren't getting results, start going up the ladder until you find someone who will help you solve the problem. Most problems can be solved by communication. The company doesn't know what goes on in your truck. It is up to you to make sure they are informed. It is in their best interest, as well as yours, to resolve any concerns.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Default Re: dispatch speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
My co is really lighting a fire under my ass about getting moving within 15 mins of the seal being applied to the trailor and getting to the destination terminal 'on time'. They wont tell me what my etas are however unless i call in and specifically ask. My ETAs are calculated at 50mph allowing for a 15min break on longer runs, but i do not know what the guideline is...Our trucks only run 65mph at best...a 50mph av. means no delays whatsoever, no traffic, no construction zones-only open road, right?
If I have hazmat i should really be checking stuff over closely and be sure the loads are secured right (they never are). Do I have time for that? Not really, I guess I could do what I have to, then call in and let them know what my delay was b4 leaving out....This is the best job Ive ever had, just these issues are a problem...Suggestions??
I would advise the dispatcher that by taking the few extra minutes to check everything, you could possibly be saving yourself WAY more time down the road. Prevention is the key to more success when dealing with hazmat.

Just my two cents.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Senior Board Member

I might be tempted to suggest that you do this:

Have a conversation with someone in your Safety Department.....give them a heads up as to what is happening, and ask them if its worth $15,000,000.00 or more in civil suit awards, not to mention EPA/HAZMAT fines and cleanup costs if there is an accident, load shift, and a resulting release of hazmat? And you need to consider how much of that you would be liable for dollar wise, and also possible criminal penalties against you that could force a reservation at the "graybar hotel" for you and an extended stay.

You probably have some non-truck driving semi knowledgable pinhead dispatcher who is on a minor powertrip trying to exert autority over you that they think they have, when they DON'T. Read the FMCSR's....regarding hazmat handling...you'll see why.

Considering that it appears you drive for Wilson, that means LTL maybe, and mixed loads that may contain several different classes of Hazmat, some of which have to be segrated and secured, which if mixed could create violent reactions and possibly clouds of noxious gasses which could be fatal to anyone exposed....including you.

If they are unwilling to allow sufficient time for you to make sure that the load is properly secured and safe to move, then you need to come to the realization that "this job of a lifetime" ISN'T.

BE TRUE TO THYSELF, AND PROTECT THYSELF AND THOSE YOU LOVE, AS WELL AS THE PUBLIC, BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T....YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES AND OTHERS WILL PAY DEARLY, AND THE DISPATCHER MAY WELL WASH HIS HANDS OF YOU....AFTERALL, IT WAS THEE WHO SCREWED UP...NOT HIM/HER!! CYA!! and that does not mean "see-ya"!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
I might be tempted to suggest that you do this:

Have a conversation with someone in your Safety Department.....give them a heads up as to what is happening, and ask them if its worth $15,000,000.00 or more in civil suit awards, not to mention EPA/HAZMAT fines and cleanup costs if there is an accident, load shift, and a resulting release of hazmat? And you need to consider how much of that you would be liable for dollar wise, and also possible criminal penalties against you that could force a reservation at the "graybar hotel" for you and an extended stay.

You probably have some non-truck driving semi knowledgable pinhead dispatcher who is on a minor powertrip trying to exert autority over you that they think they have, when they DON'T. Read the FMCSR's....regarding hazmat handling...you'll see why.

Considering that it appears you drive for Wilson, that means LTL maybe, and mixed loads that may contain several different classes of Hazmat, some of which have to be segrated and secured, which if mixed could create violent reactions and possibly clouds of noxious gasses which could be fatal to anyone exposed....including you.

If they are unwilling to allow sufficient time for you to make sure that the load is properly secured and safe to move, then you need to come to the realization that "this job of a lifetime" ISN'T.

BE TRUE TO THYSELF, AND PROTECT THYSELF AND THOSE YOU LOVE, AS WELL AS THE PUBLIC, BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T....YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES AND OTHERS WILL PAY DEARLY, AND THE DISPATCHER MAY WELL WASH HIS HANDS OF YOU....AFTERALL, IT WAS THEE WHO SCREWED UP...NOT HIM/HER!! CYA!! and that does not mean "see-ya"!!
That's everything in a nutshell. Nice post.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Most of the time, 50 mph should be about right on the calculations for your deliveries. I have known of some that use 45 mph. Even at 50 mph, you should easily do more than 500 miles per day without killing yourself. In any case, it isn't worth putting yourself or the public in danger to get a load of freight delivered. That doesn't mean that you should take a 3 hour lunch break at a truck stop, but as long as you keep the drivers door closed you shouldn't have any problems making your deliveries, in a timely manner, unless there are unforeseen events, such as a wreck, weather, construction, etc., It is your career that is on the line. If you have concerns, you should voice them with your company starting with your dispatcher. If you feel that you aren't getting results, start going up the ladder until you find someone who will help you solve the problem. Most problems can be solved by communication. The company doesn't know what goes on in your truck. It is up to you to make sure they are informed. It is in their best interest, as well as yours, to resolve any concerns.
I think 50 mph is what Greyhound bases it's bus schedules on.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:59 PM

What Skywalker said...and--

I pull hazmat and I don't get the bills until the trailer(s) has been closed/sealed. You need more than 15 min to go through bills, determine hazmat, and then placard your trailer. I ASSume you are pulling a 53, because hooking/pulling/placarding pups in that timeframe is an accident that WILL happen.

The 50 MPH driving timeframe is doable. If you encounter a delay enroute, call your central dispatch and let them know (CYA)--thats what I do, and we are dispatched at 55 mph, in 65mph tractors.

I drive linehaul at night, so traffic is usually minimal. I will not compromise safety, and if you feel that you are being told to do that, then you need to speak to your safety dept. pronto.

I esp. take my time with hazmat, and I've had dispatchers get on me to get going, (cut time)--but if I'm behind it's usually because they were late closing a trailer. I tell them safety first, and they generally pipe down.

You may have some hot shot trying to get everyone out early because he got his butt chewed for late departures a time or two, but believe me if you compromise safety it will fall back on you.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:01 PM

What Skywalker said...and--

I pull hazmat and I don't get the bills until the trailer(s) has been closed/sealed. You need more than 15 min to go through bills, determine hazmat, and then placard your trailer. I ASSume you are pulling a 53, because hooking/pulling/placarding pups in that timeframe is an accident that WILL happen.

The 50 MPH driving timeframe is doable. If you encounter a delay enroute, call your central dispatch and let them know (CYA)--thats what I do, and we are dispatched at 55 mph, in 65mph tractors.

I drive linehaul at night, so traffic is usually minimal. I will not compromise safety, and if you feel that you are being told to do that, then you need to speak to your safety dept. pronto.

I esp. take my time with hazmat, and I've had dispatchers get on me to get going, (cut time)--but if I'm behind it's usually because they were late closing a trailer. I tell them safety first, and they generally pipe down.

You may have some hot shot trying to get everyone out early because he got his butt chewed for late departures a time or two, but believe me if you compromise safety it will fall back on you.