User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Reduced 2006 Freight, but continued demand for new drivers?

As I review the posting here and other forums, I have seen several comments that the summer and fall shipments are down. There have been many comments about long periods sitting with an empty trailer several hundred miles from home just killing time waiting for the next run to show up.

But I also see comments about how the trucking industry is pushing hard for many more drivers.

I realize the 100+% turnover has something to do with the recruitment. There will always be a need to hire replacement drivers. But if the amount of available freight is truly down this year, shouldn't the push for new drivers would also slack off?

Being a naturally cynical person, I wonder if the companies' claims about needing more drivers is real or just a ploy to keep the CPM down.

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 09-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Board Regular

It's probably some truth to it..........you keep the level of inexperienced drivers to experienced drivers to it's maximum and you can keep your cost of doing business down. Personally, I believe the companies will welcome an extended period of slow freight, chances are it will drive out the more experienced drivers who will get fed up with no miles and sitting around freeing up the left hand seats for more inexperienced drivers who will drive for less.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Freight is down considerably over what is normal for this time of year. Companies are still finding it difficult to find and retain QUALIFIED drivers. There are a lot of people wanting to enter this business, but the main problem within the industry seems to be driver retention. That is one reason some of the larger carrier's, such as Schneider, are making a push to bring in foreign drivers. We hear some talk about compensation of drivers, but much of the problem comes from the drivers themselves. There are inequities in pay, such as lumping and sitting at loading docks uncompensated. But on the carrier side, there are a lot of drivers who don't take care of the equipment assigned to them and don't know how to best manage their time. If some drivers changed their behavior, it could have an impact on wages. If a carrier is constantly having to spend resources on recruitment and vehicle maintenance or replacement, there will be less money available for greater compensation. If this slow down continues for longer than expected, it should solve some of the driver shortage problems. It could allow carrier's to be more selective in whom they hire. Drivers who are employed may find it more difficult to change jobs. In that respect, an extended slow down could be good for the trucking industry, at least as far as driver retention and recruitment is concerned. It isn't that there aren't those who want to work in this industry. It is a matter of finding qualified drivers. If a driver doesn't have enough experience, too many moving violations or a poor work ethic, they are not qualified to work for many carriers. Some enter this business with false expectations and get disillusioned about what this business really entails. I have spoken with some who think that they are going to see the country, visit all the tourist attractions and someone is going to pay them lots of money. They become disillusioned when they realize that this is actually a job with many demands. We cannot always do what we want, when we want. We are normally on a schedule, which we must adhere, in order to earn a good livelihood. There seems to be a lack of communication from drivers to the company and in some cases an insensitivity of companies to the driver's needs. For instance, some fail to get a driver home when they want. On the other hand, companies are at the mercy of shippers to find a load going near to where the driver lives. Drivers need to learn to more effectively communicate rather than make demands on their companies. And companies need to find better ways in which to listen to their drivers. Is there a shortage? Yes and no.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:41 PM

GMAN - that's an excellent response covering both sides of the industry. Thanks for putting some time into a thoughtful answer.

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 09-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Some good points, But I think the carriers will retain a certain percentage of profit regardless...I think the arguement that companies have to compensate for recruitig costs, etc. by low py is invalid, They know what to do to obtain driver retention, they just choose not to. This is the american way. In Europe for e.g companies go to great lengths to make their help happy, healthy and not overworked and it pays off in productivity and longevity.
There is no reason to pay a driver 30cpm, that will never get you a good, reliable worker. Even if after a year or 2 of hanging in there, the driver will remember the exploitation and get his revenge one way or another. My co, for e.g starts you out a 47cpm for line-haul and has many drivers with 2million+ safe miles! They are changing some things reducing milage to senior drivers and hiring lots of new driver, so their cost per mile is dropping, but the co. is expanding really nicely...
Old 09-26-2006, 03:46 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Reduced 2006 Freight, but continued demand for new drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBenson2
There have been many comments about long periods sitting with an empty trailer several hundred miles from home just killing time waiting for the next run to show up.
I think you just answered your own question driver!

Quote:
But if the amount of available freight is truly down this year, shouldn't the push for new drivers would also slack off?
No matter what the level of freight is, there will ALWAYS be too many drivers/trucks chasing a fixed amount of freight. And until a real layover/detention system is put into place, there always will be.

Quote:
Being a naturally cynical person, I wonder if the companies' claims about needing more drivers is real or just a ploy to keep the CPM down.
I think you just answered your own question again! The whole "driver shortage" is pure hogwash. Because if there was a true shortage, you'd see empty store shevles, freight piling up on docks, and produce rotting.

It's not so much a driver "shortage" per se. Rather, it's a lack of people willing to put up with the pay, working conditions, and treatment in OTR truckdriving.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBenson2
GMAN - that's an excellent response covering both sides of the industry. Thanks for putting some time into a thoughtful answer.

You are welcome, JBenson. There are always 2 sides to every issue.