User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Background Check Question

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forum and to trucking as well. I've enrolled in a driving school for my Class A CDL that will be starting in another week. Coupled with the thousands of dollars for the course along with the time I'll be out of work this is a pretty expensive venture for me.

I have a serious and very relevent question about what to expext when applying for jobs that I'd like some honest feedabck on. You all have alot of experience in this field and I'm hoping for some good answers.

I am not going to seek HazMat certification. The reason for that is because of something thats dogged me my entire adult life. I'm 40 years old and when I was 19 I commited a felony that sent me behind bars for a few years. It was an isolated event in my life that changed me for the better. That conviction, however, has kept me from securing any decent paying jobs. I've passed background checks in the state I live in and I think its because my offence happened over 20 years ago.

My question is this: When a potential employer is reviewing a job application, how far back do they dig into a persons character? Again, I'm not applying for HazMat simply because I know they do a thorough background check from the time you were basically born. But what can I expect when applying besides more doors being closed on me? Do they dig back 20 years or somthing like 5 or 10?

Again, looking for honest feedback here folks

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2006, 02:09 PM

As long as you are honest on your application, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It is the false statements on an application that come back and bite you.

I realize you are not going after the HAZMAT endorsement, but take a look at how ineffective the "supposedly" intensive in-depth background searches really are. The government has problems finding the bad guys even when the information is staring them in the face for years. In the news yesterday:

Quote:
More than 200 Somalian and Bosnian immigrants illegally obtained Missouri CDLs or HAZMAT endorsements through a West Plains truck-driving school, federal prosecutors said Thursday.

The West Plains school had been under the FBI radar for years, Lanza said, when the Missouri Highway Patrol alerted them of a large number of applicants with names that appeared Middle Eastern in origin.

Fifteen people were named in a federal grand jury indictment unsealed Thursday, including the former superintendent of South Central Career Center, a truck-driving school operated by the West Plains public school district. The 62-count indictment --with charges ranging from conspiracy and mail fraud to illegally producing documents ? relates to the issuance of licenses at SCCC and an agreement it had with a Kansas City truck driver training center...

A third key defendant is Ernest A. "Mustafa" White, 49, who ran the Kansas City-area MBS (Muslim Brothers and Sisters) driving school.
After many years, the feds finally got around to nailing the people who ran the school, but not the ones who got the illegal HAZMAT endorsements. It does not give me much confidence in the Homeland Security team. This school has been under the FBI radar for years???

Hello!!! anyone home?

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 09-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Rookie

Thanks for your reply.

the whole reason why I'm not going for HazMat is because the school told me I would have to go down to the local police station and be fingerprinted for a complete FBI background.

I'm not a person who is trying to "sneaK" into this profession, I'm just someone who made a terrible mistake in my youth that has affected me my entire adult life. I was hired by MBNA some years ago, went through their 6 week training, got out onto the production floor and then was called into the security office when my fingerprints came back with my offence. Didn't matter that I had allready received recognition from my trainers as the most likely to succeed, I was terminated on the spot .. a week before Christmas.

I don't want to lie to get a job but at the same time I obviously don't want my past to haunt me yet again. thats why I was asking how far back an employer would dig.

thanks !
Old 09-23-2006, 03:07 PM

Most of the applications I've filled out lately have asked for "Have you ever been convicted of a felony".

I've also spoken to a few recruiters and they've said as long as the applicant is honest and upfront then they can work with you. I would imagine that if it was a nonviolent and non drug involved felony you should have no problems. Now there are companies that won't touch you with a ten foot pole, but there are plenty who will give you a shot.

The background for hazmat is through TSA in the Department of Homeland Security and a felony is not in and of itself a disqualifier. Don't lie and give it a shot, they may pass you and even if they don't you can work for a whole lot of companies without it.

Not to be offensive but your tone sounds more like you intend not to mention it and hope no one finds out. Bad plan, be honest and up front as companies will hire a felon, but not a felon and a liar. Good luck to you.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Board Regular

We have a buddy in similar shoes as yours and he has worked for 5 big reputable trucking companies, however he is always up front about his history. Read ALL applications carefully. If they ask "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" answer truthfully. If the question is "Have you been convicted of a felony in the past 10 years?" then you can truthfully answer no. A lot of companies go into Canada, which means you will have to divulge your history to them whether or not it is asked on your application. Just be up front and honest to any of the companies, some will deny you others will say "It was over ten years ago, so we don't consider that as long has you have cleaned up you act." Remember just because they ask if you have been convicted in the last 10 years, does not mean they will not go back further. When you hire someone to haul $500,000 in merchandise you want to know all you can about them so don't take their questions personally. It will help if you have the facts of where, when (state, city, county), details of sentencing available for verification.

Also, having a felony conviction does not automatically disqualify you for a hazmat endorsement. There is a list of the convictions that disqualify a driver from getting the endorsement. Here is a link to explain it further: http://www.dds.ga.gov/Commercial/Haz...uidanceFaq.pdf

Best of luck to you!

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 09-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Senior Board Member

After having gone through the hazmat requirements and knowing the liabilities I now bear the burden of, I regret having gotten it.
Its not really like you make more money w/ a hazmat endorsement, and the bs you have to go through is rediculous. Not to mention being crucified by authorities should something go wrong. Id say its playing russian roulette.

As JBenson2 sais, it doesnt atually do what they told us it would , It just gives them 10 perfect fingerprints you pay for...They couldnt have screwed us better :lol:

Let me tell you this: I lived in Europe for part of the ten years they ask residence history about, but when I told the lady over the phone that, she said the computer wont take foreign adresses!!!!!! she actually falsified my app to show all US adresses!!! :shock: :roll:

So i guess If someone lived in Afghanistan, thats no biggie when 'assessing a security threat' :lol: