User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Winter Highway Shutdown

In today's news:

Quote:
GEORGETOWN, Colo. (AP) -- Interstate 70 reopened in the Colorado mountains Friday after blowing snow and icy roads forced an overnight shutdown and stranded some travelers.

A 50-mile stretch of eastbound I-70 was shut down late Thursday from Vail to Georgetown, which is about 45 miles west of Denver. Westbound traffic was allowed through Georgetown in stages, transportation department spokesman Ryan Drake said.
Question: On a normal night, many truckstops are completely full. When a major interstate highway is shutdown for an entire night, I would think the truckstops would not be able to handle the huge number of truckers who have to stop. What do you do with your truck when the truckstops have not spaces left and the highway is shut down? I would think there must be hundreds of trucks and thousands of 4-wheelers affected by this type of shutdown.

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 09-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Senior Board Member

A lot of times in a situation like that you'll find many truck drivers will anticipate a shutdown and make a move to find a place b4 it happens. I have seen malls used for parking as well in those situations.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Senior Board Member

It can be a real mess,usually look for a Wal Mart parking lot as quick as possible and plan ahead,make sure you get a spot where you have access to an exit and don't get blocked in.You can lose alot of time waiting for a lot to clear out after the road reopens,because most guys will just go to bed and once that happens they may be on their 10 hr break.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Senior Board Member

When I-10 was closed through El Paso, TX due to severe flooding last month, the NM State Police closed I-10 east here in Las Cruces to reduce traffic in El Paso. The huge dirt tailgate party/parking lot next to the New Mexico State University football and basketball stadiums was opened to truck parking.

I remember getting stuck at the Bosslemans in Grand Island, NE for almost 2 days due to severe wind and blizzard conditions across Nebraska and Wyoming. I was with my trainer and the roads were getting snowpacked really bad and we noticed that two of the trucks that passed us in the snow ended up in the median. Coupled with the fact that we were only loaded with about 20k worth of beef jerky, my trainer said, "Next fuel stop, we're shutting her down." We got parked about 3pm. By 9 that night, ever possible place you could park a truck was occupied.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Winter Highway Shutdown

Good reason to have a weather band receiver on a CB or broadcast (AM/FM) receiver. No weather based surprises. BOL
Old 09-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Board Icon

I remember one year on harvest in early,mid October of '96,or '97 there was an early blizzard that hit Denver. We were in Bird City,KS,which is about 200 or so miles east of Denver,thrashing corn. They talked about atleast a foot of snow by morning. We got the drizzle that evening,and sure nuff,the next morning,there was 16" of snow on the ground. :shock: We finally got out,and around,and we went to Goodland,KS to get groceries,and what not. There is a supercenter Wal-Mart there,and you couldnt get a motorcycle in that parking lot. The whole town was plumb full of trucks. I-70 was shut down that runs smack dab into Denver. Ive never seen so many trucks at one place.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Board Regular

We have pulled over in any space we can find when they shut down the highway. We were in a blizzard a few years back in Minnesota, there were cars and trucks every where you could look. Do whatever it takes to make sure you are safe, preferably ahead of time.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 09-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Board Regular

Always make sure you have water, drinks and non parrishable foods on board. I've been shut down for 3 days in ND before :cry: .

********************* "I have never been lost, but do admit to being confused for several weeks".