User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

is there a way to tell if someone is on your internet connection?
Old 09-25-2006, 06:24 AM
Rookie

I think some people are missing the point. The guy is NOT stealing use of WIFI, he paid the fee to sign up for Flying J internet. As long as he paid the fee to get to log in, it does not matter if he is not parked in a Flying J parking lot or not. You can't use their internet unless you pay, no matter where you park. So I don't see why people are comparing this to illegal use of other peoples system?

By the way, for the person who originally posted. I traveled with my husband for aboug 5 months and we found that Flying J was by far the most reliable of the WiFi systems. The one we found to be the worst, and he has tried them again now, and they still seem to be pretty bad is Siricom that is available at most Pilots. If you are an online gamer, Flying J or TA wifi are the way to go.

Also some of the cell phone companies have wireless pci cards that gives you internet access basically any place that your cell phone would work. And those are awesome. We are getting ready to change back to that method again, it costs about 80 dollars a month, but in our opinion well worth it. Then you can even get online when you are sitting around at customers waiting to load and unload.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:34 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
is there a way to tell if someone is on your internet connection?
This only happens if you have a wireless router at home. Just a note. Your router has it's own web address like 192.168.1.1 which you can get into from your browser. In there you will see DHCP which is Dynamic Host Control Protocol and that's the guy that assigns IP addresses to anyone who hooks into your router. Click on list DHCP clients or something that looks like that and it will tell who is using your router other than yourself. You should read the manual and setup a password key which only allows you to use it. You can also go to your file explorer or my computer and click on Computers Near Me and see if anyone else shows up. And, if they are fool enough to be sharing there disk, all there files will be available for either viewing or deleting!!! I opened up my router once for fun to see if anyone would take advantage and many did and many had there system open with shared access. I modified each of there personal login profiles so there screen background had a nice personal message as to what I could have done.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Rookie
Default wi fi

I got so tired of chasing signals at the truck stops. nothing worse than the clerk telling you if you want a signal you have to sit inside :x
I made the investment of a sprint card. For the price of what I was spending at the truck stops (all three the Sirius, flying and and TA) to keep connected. (when I could get a signal) I now can Internet anywhere including shippers and even when hubby is driving down the road and I am in the bunk. No need to go inside or move truck to get a signal anymore!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:49 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Well, I'm sitting at a customer's location. Got here at about 4:30 AM and my appointment is at 10 AM. I get two signals here. One says "SSID not broadcast". The other works fine. I found a customer in GA that provides internet access for the drivers that have to wait to get into a dock. It seems to relieve the tension with some of the drivers and they feel it's worth it. Now, I look for signals whenever I'm going to be waiting for a while. Don't find them very often, but once in a while, like now, the signal is good and it works fine. I noticed that some of the McDonald's have WIFI for free too.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRolln
Again, it's not illegal unless you try to hack into the persons computer. I use one of my neighbors DSL when my cable goes down. They even make devices to boost your WiFi signal to pick up unsecured signals.
I have not checked all the states but a QUICK search showed 3 cases (2 in FL. and 1 in IL.) where people were fined for using a WIFI connection.

As far as a signal booster. I know at least in the Bay area the use of a "Cantenna" is illegal. I'm not sure how the law is written I haven't read the law.

kc0iv