Old 09-20-2006, 06:24 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothpick
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
and you say you wanna go coast to coast but the western states are alot better then being stuck in traffic in jersey or new york.
You forgot to mention the tolls, the low bridges, and the sharp corners in the inner cities, but that's all wonderful experience.
I grew up in NY and hitch hiked to CA when I was in my early 20s. Granted it was in Schenectady/Colonie/Albany area. But I learned to drive a VW manual tranny on ice. (No, I wasn't predisposed to consider the low overheads, but I am well aware of the congestion.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:29 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Swift has a new CEO and has undergone a lot of changes and made a lots of improvements over the past couple of years. They're not the same company with all the growing pains they used to be anymore and they do things much better now and that includes driver retention and being friendly to drivers. They also take care of their equipment real good and a lot better than some of the other companies that I have observed. Are they perfect? Hell no, not by a long shot, but then again who is?
I've heard a lot of positives concerning Mr. Cunningham. I have to admit, a lot of the negative posts that I read, was while Jerry Moyes was at the helm. It looks like the company Mr. Moyes' family started just got too big for Mr. Moyes to the point that he had relinquish the wheel. I'm sure that Mr. Moyes had no intention of creating such a whirlwind but was a business maverick that was excited about his families legacy.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:41 AM
Board Regular

As an aside, I have no basis for making a qualified statement concerning the professionalism of either Swift or Schneider. I've been through boot camp in the Army, albeit during peacetime, and I am not adverse to the idea that "what don't kill ya, only makes you stronger."

Having said that, I would be a fool not to have a plan B should Swift decide not to run legal and safe. As stated in my other written musings, I do have an out should safety not be a serious concern with Swift. I also have not made my final commitment to either at this point as I am not starting school until Oct. 3. I am still weighing my options. Swift, however; definitely has my attention - in a positive sense. Please bear in mind I am taking all that I have read in print (and between the lines) to heart, knowing that there are always two sides to every story.

You personally had a positive experience with Swift whereas "sarasdad" did not.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
My only concerns with Schenider are 1) Their OTR training only consists of 2 - 3 weeks as opposed to Swifts, 6 weeks.
2-3 weeks might be all you need. I had never piloted a truck before I got behind the wheel of one while in CDL school and at Steven's orientation and I was constantly being asked if I had experience driving a truck. I guess I was just one of those people who was a "natural".

I sometimes toy with the idea of going back. I'd probably try Swift if only to get on their Wal-Mart fleet and work out of the Los Lunas, NM distribution center that way I'd stay regional. Something to consider anyways.

Quote:
2) Their solo drivers on the west coast only run the 11 western states and I want to go coast to coast.
While the traditional romanticized image of trucking includes going coast to coast, the crowded, truck unfriendly nature of the East Coast makes the romance fizzle pretty quickly. Most drivers living west of the Mississippi would kill for the chance to stay west, lol. :lol:
Old 09-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
Quote:
My only concerns with Schenider are 1) Their OTR training only consists of 2 - 3 weeks as opposed to Swifts, 6 weeks.
2-3 weeks might be all you need. I had never piloted a truck before I got behind the wheel of one while in CDL school and at Steven's orientation and I was constantly being asked if I had experience driving a truck. I guess I was just one of those people who was a "natural".

I sometimes toy with the idea of going back. I'd probably try Swift if only to get on their Wal-Mart fleet and work out of the Los Lunas, NM distribution center that way I'd stay regional. Something to consider anyways.

Quote:
2) Their solo drivers on the west coast only run the 11 western states and I want to go coast to coast.
While the traditional romanticized image of trucking includes going coast to coast, the crowded, truck unfriendly nature of the East Coast makes the romance fizzle pretty quickly. Most drivers living west of the Mississippi would kill for the chance to stay west, lol. :lol:
Good Point, but I have family in Morgantown and Morehead I wanna see. 8)
Old 09-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T * Storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
Quote:

Quote:
Good Point, but I have family in Morgantown and Morehead I wanna see. 8)
Well in that case I'm sure they probably have a few loads heading east that don't need to be put on a train. 8)
Old 09-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Senior Board Member

I would tell Swift to stick it. If the people can't conduct themselves in a professional manner on the phone then why should they get your business. I don't rewards flakes.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:48 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
my next goal will be to find the best paying companies within my personally preferred parameters. (Money NOT being the only consideration.)
Don?t try to shortcut it! Your next goal ought to be to stick around long enough to learn how drive a truck without hitting anything or killing or maiming anyone and to always deliver on time every time. After you?ve done that successfully for a couple of years, then the best paying companies might be willing to give you a shot, but please at least pay your dues first, or else you?ll go wreck one of their trucks, get yourself fired, and lose your career.
UMMM - Here's the full quote:

Quote:
My main goal at this point is to get the best training possible, without any upfront out of pocket expenses, or at least the very minimal. After I receive quality training and the beginning of great habits are formed and ingrained, my next goal will be to find the best paying companies within my personally preferred parameters. (Money NOT being the only consideration.)
My apologies to the many truckers with IQs, but this poster had a few legitimate points, prefaced with an insult and followed by selective reading. I know this logistics engineer is not representative of our particular demographic and it really annoys me. (?At least for the moment).

So, without further adieu here's where I vent ...well, maybe I just did and the poster with the ADS and the sub-remedial literary comprehension skills will never know. :shock:

Sort of a self-canceling testimonial for Swift if ya ask me.