User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 04:36 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Failed drug test in school... will they kick me out?

Well, it was for Adderall, I used it one day to give me a pickup throughout the day and help me concentrate in class for school. Well, the first day I had to go take a drug test and I get a call Friday saying I failed it do to amphetamine. So, I need to take the prescription tomorrow before business hours. Only thing is I won't be able to get the prescription to the place where I tested until Wednesay afternoon. Since, the office is out until then. I'm not sure how this will affect me being at the school. Im only going into my second week. Im sure they will understand, but I don't want to ask, because it is somewhat embarassing of course. I will be at the doctors office first thing Wed morning to get a copy of it of course, probably to get another prescription honestly. I used to take it a few years back and still had a few left. I called the pharmacy and they said it would be 2 weeks until they could get the prescription records ordered. I'm not really concerned about the drug test affecting my job employment after I get out of training since I will be working for a family trucking company, but I am hoping the school doesn't turn me around because of it. Guess, I'm looking at the worse case scenario, but expecting the best....
Any ideas?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:41 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Not trying to be a smart A$$ but you should have asked about banned substances BEFORE going to school and you should have told the school or their Doc in advance about taking this drug. If you need to take a Drug to Concentrate maybe you shouldn't become a Truck Driver.
You MIGHT catch a break-Maybe not
Old 09-18-2006, 04:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Not trying to be a smart A$$ but you should have asked about banned substances BEFORE going to school and you should have told the school or their Doc in advance about taking this drug. If you need to take a Drug to Concentrate maybe you shouldn't become a Truck Driver.
You MIGHT catch a break-Maybe not
Nah, it's not needed, but helped back in the school days. Definitely not dependent on it and definitely don't "need" it. No offense taken at all.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:51 AM
Board Icon

Good
Too bad my advice is 20/20 Hindsight.
THEY might question you about the "Concentrating" thing though.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:17 PM

Drug testing should not be taken lightly. It serves an important purpose. Please consider this a wake-up call.

Driving an 80K pound rig in heavy traffic requires full concentration. Here are some of the known side effects of using Adderall that could severely affect your ability to control your truck.

Common side effects of Adderall include:
Increased heart rate
Insomnia
Anorexia (loss of appetite)
Vertigo (dizziness)
Diarrhea
Sweating
Irritability
Tremor
Euphoria

Less common side effects
Nervousness
Detachment from reality
Phonetic tics
high blood pressure
hallucinations

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 09-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Board Regular

The problem is that prescriptions are generally considered valid for one year from the date of issue; meaning that a copy of a two year old prescription is probably not going to do very much good.

Also, regardless of who you work for, you can still be subject to DOT drug screens. I would think hard about renewing a prescription that will always cause a positive result. It could also be an issue with the insurer of the company you're planning to work for, regardless if it's a family company. Most larger companies turn down drivers on amphetamine prescriptions because of the insurance liability.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Rookie

Everythings going to be ok, I talked with the school about the situation. I may not go to the doctor and have it refilled either. So, I don't have to say I've been prescribed to them in the past so many months, if it ever is an issue. If the test comes back positive to the school, it shouldn't matter either. He understood what I was saying and said that the drug test only goes to the school not to the DAC or anything.
Thanks for the replies guys!