User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 02:29 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I've got landlord problems: Parking my truck

I live in an apartment building. I'm not driving a tractor tailer right now like you guys are. I'm just driving a 5 ton starting next week. Problem is my landlord won't let me park it anywhere. This guy owns 4 apartment buildings all next to each other or around the corner and he owns a small strip mall/plaza accross the street from the building I live in. My super is telling me the owner won't let me park it anywhere. A guy who used to live in my building drove a tractor trailer and would park his cab in the plaza across the street every night. The super told me he shouldn't have been doing it, he wasn't allowed.
Do any of you have a problem like this? finding somewhere to park you truck? It's a good job, two half days and 3 full days a week with weekends off for a decent salary, plus they let me take the truck home at the end of the day including the weekends. Any parking tickets I get while off duty are my responsibilty.
There is a mall close to me, a few churches and a couple of schools but I doubt they'll let me park there. I told my super I'm willing to pay to park wherever the owner will let me, if that fails i'm going to have canvass the damn neighborhood to try and find someone who'll be willing to let me park on their property.
I've been living in the building for 14 years, I'm a model tenant, never been late with rent, no noise complaints etc. It's clean, neat and has the rent is reasonable.
Leaving the truck at work every day is not an option. The company is downtown with no parking, we pick up at a warehouse every morning, make our deliveries and head straight home.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Any storage facilities nearby where you can park the truck while you are home and park your car while you are at work.

If you pick up at the same warehouse everyday is it possible to park the truck there at night and your car there while your work?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Also check businesses that may have extra space somewhere, it helps to know the owner :wink: beware of someone stealing your fuel if you park outside a fenced area!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Board Regular

Do you have parents, friends, relatives, etc. that live close by with a big yard? You could ask them if you can park your truck there. Maybe if you offered to pay $20 a week for parking, they might let you.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:52 AM

Did you try offering the landlord some money so you could park across the street at the strip mall?
Old 09-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Deal - NOT

"Leaving the truck at work every day is not an option. The company is downtown with no parking." So?
Let's see if I have this straight. You drive, pick up and deliver with their truck but it's on you to find a secure place to park it? How 'bout telling your employer to get you a safe/secure place to park their truck? BTW, you don't have a landlord problem, you have an employer problem. BOL
Old 09-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

How 'bout telling your employer to get you a safe/secure plece to park their truck?

That's an excellent point! The truck belongs to them, if they're a local company they should have a place to park their trucks. What if they don't have enough employees the fill all of the trucks, where do they park them then?
Old 09-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Rookie

I'm not sure how common it is, but a local self storage place near me rents outdoor parking spaces. I have one for one of my cars, it's less than $50 a month, 24hr access, etc. I used to see an O/O rig parked there so I assume that was his deal. Might want to call around places in your area.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Is their a truck dealer nearby? I bet they'd rent you parking space. But like others have said, if it's a company truck, the company is supposed to take care of the parkinig. Stevens rented space from a lot in El Paso for us to park our rigs. I had the option of renting my own space closer to Las Cruces (40 miles) but I figured I'd spend more on rental fees than I would on gas driving from El Paso to home.

Then again gas wasn't $2.70 a gallon then, lol. :lol:
Old 09-20-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_knee
I'm not sure how common it is, but a local self storage place near me rents outdoor parking spaces. I have one for one of my cars, it's less than $50 a month, 24hr access, etc. I used to see an O/O rig parked there so I assume that was his deal. Might want to call around places in your area.
I found out in New Hampshire at least that all storage places do not allow any commercial vehicles parked there. They all were prohibited by there insurance.