User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hi, I'm new; Looking for answers from SWIFT/CR-Eng drivers

Alright. Hello all, I'm male 22, and a cop by trade. Obviously I came here to learn about trucking, and the 'real' story about it, not just what's on a recruiter's website. I'm from GA, and live there now. I am currently not working in LE, having just resigned in June. I've been trying to get back in elsewhere, but it's slow going. So, why am I here.

Regardless of where I live I have roughly 800-900 dollars in bills that I 'have' to pay each month or face creditors. The job I had paid gross a grand every two weeks. This did not include off duty/overtime jobs. I wasn't making 'a lot' but I was making enough to comfortably pay my bills. Fast forward today, and I'm barely making 850 a month. Obviously I need a better job. I'm single and have no dependents to pay for.

I have no trucking experience, and no CDL. I would obviously need to go to school first. I've only seriously started looking last week, but so far the only two companies really seemingly interested in me are SWIFT and CR-England. I have one ticket (6-points)on my record, and one wreck. Considering the job I did; that's 'normal' for cop work, but obviously a big turn off for trucking companies.

I know 'how' to drive a stick, but never out of a parking lot and I'm sure it's a tad different with a truck. Other than that I'm completely foreign to trucks.

I do apologize for the long post, but now for the questions.

SWIFT drivers, is it realistic to make at least $500 TAKE HOME a week once solo. Do they have enough freight jobs for that? (the job I currently work at sees the refer SWIFT and CR-Eng take meat for their Walmart contracts I always see more SWIFT than CR guys though) Are 'all' swift trucks stick shifts? I've heard of some trucks being automatics but I can understand that those are probably few and far between. The school in TN, do they offer 'any' pay during the school? Taking a chance on an unsure job is one thing, but having to take a month off earning 'nothing' I have to be sure I won't be in worse shape when it's done. SWIFT says they have '6' weeks of training after the school. 350 per week for the first two, 400 and 500 respectively for the 3/4 and 5/6 weeks. Is that normal or is that slave labor?

I'm also concerned with taking the time/money to 'go' to the school and AFTER-WARDS having them tell me they don't like my record. Will the companies guarantee/check my record so that as long as I pass everything I should be ok.

SWIFT has better cpm than CR-England, does CR have better equipment or something? CR's school is out in Texas. They have training that appears to be 8 weeks long, but a little better pay on the road training. However their website says 'up to 23 years of age completely clean driving record', I obviously don't have a completely clean record but the recruiter still says to turn in the paperwork on the wreck and I should be ok. Can I get a guarantee on this before I go to their schools?

third, in order in get to these schools I will 'need' to take out a loan no only for the tuition and fees but also to pay my bills for at least a month. Will these companies help with that, or do I have to find an outside lender?
Old 09-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Board Regular

If you have the means to get a loan or grant to pay for your training on your own do so!! Private schools like Sage and Roadmasters can be expensive, so check to see if your local community college has CDL classes. If you sign up for company sponsored training, you wont have to get a loan yourself, but they will require that you sign a contract that says you will work for them for a least a year in exchange for your training. If you quit or get fired, even after working for them for 11 months and 25 days you will still be on the line for the whole amount of training as most contracts don't prorate the cost :sad:

There are a lot of other companies that pay more than Swift and CR England out there. Your age and the tickets are going to hurt you. But, before you sign the bottom line, do some more research. Checkout:

Millis Transfer, TMC, Falcoln Transport, CFI, Maverick, Boyd Bros, McElroy Truck Lines... The pay and home-time are much better than what you are looking at.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Senior Board Member

once you get your experience its realistic to take home $1000
Old 09-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
From Swifty an CR England? I wouldn't think so....but then again I don't drive for them
Old 09-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Senior Board Member

swift keeps their trucks moving, 500$+ a week once solo is definetely attainable, and most england COMPANY drivers I know are very happy, just dont sign a lease with either company :wink:
Old 09-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:
From Swifty an CR England? I wouldn't think so....but then again I don't drive for them
no i dont drive for them but like all companies they have good and bad, ive talked to plenty of drivers who do make that a week...i just wouldnt lease with them
Old 09-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Stay away from CRE at all costs. :evil:

You'd be far better off starting at Swift. Your age may be a bit of a problem, though.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Senior Board Member

The Collier County Sheriff's Office is crying for Deputies. And I think the pay is better than what you were making in GA. And FL has no income taxes.

Oh, BTW, Collier County is SW FL....Naples.

Your age is a definite impediment as most companies have a lower end age cap at 23.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:27 AM

To be able to net 500.00 a week at swift you are going to need to run at least 2800 miles or more a week at .26 a mile after they take out for the school and taxes and so on it is alot. I avg 2800 miles a week and a few extras here and there I bring home 500-550 but some weeks you will not get that many miles I stay out 4 weeks at a time and go home 3 to 4 days. Swift isn't a bad company alot of the companys are the same one way or another just all in what you want and who has the freight to get you by the house.

My advice to you is if you can swing it. Pay for your own school and work on the side. Swift does not pay while in school and it is really hard 3 weeks with no money comeing in. And training pay when you first start doesn't seem bad but figure you are going to need to eat and you will not be prepared so you will spend alot on food not leaving a hole lot for bills. If I recall CFI has alot better training pay than most Skywalker can tell you about that. I love Swift from my own exp but..... the training period of it all is ruff. Good Luck to ya
Old 09-18-2006, 03:43 AM