User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default One Employer (?)

What's the longest you stayed with one truck company, and how did you stick it out that far? Especially dealing with rude, careless, and perhaps prejudiced dispatchers/management.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Senior Board Member

i`ve been driving for myself for about a year now, but damn does the boss ever get on my nerves every once and a while :lol:
Old 09-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If I don't stop talking back and arguing with myself, I will be forced to fire me. :lol:

Caramel, you need to understand that you are going to have problems and personality conflicts with most any carrier for whom you work. It is in your best interest to try to work things out with the company you are presently working. If you are having problems with your dispatcher, you may want to see whether you can get another dispatcher. It may not be the company at all, but one or two individuals within the company. You will likely lose 1-2 weeks of income every time you switch jobs. You could lose more. That is one reason why I feel that trying to work things out is in your best interest. Having said that, there are some companies that have problems built into their corporate culture, or so it seems. It could also be your attitude. I don't know you, but I do know that with a good attitude and a smile, you can often over come a lot of conflicts. A smile and positive attitude is catching, just like one that is negative. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:07 AM

I ran with a company for almost two years, until they gave me to a newbie dispatcher...I gave them notice within a week.

I tried to be nice and talk about it with one company. They fired me the next week :shock:. I learned not to have more than one suitcase and my radio with me.

The dispatcher is who makes you the $$. Short loads, "call me on Monday", four day weekends and "I'll make it up to you" don't work.

YOU have to be willing and able to "get the job done" also.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourcats
I ran with a company for almost two years, until they gave me to a newbie dispatcher...I gave them notice within a week.

I tried to be nice and talk about it with one company. They fired me the next week :shock:. I learned not to have more than one suitcase and my radio with me.

The dispatcher is who makes you the $$. Short loads, "call me on Monday", four day weekends and "I'll make it up to you" don't work.

YOU have to be willing and able to "get the job done" also.
you can always go to work at longview fibre
Old 09-17-2006, 01:36 PM

I think you also have to find you niche in this industry. What I mean by that is find what you like to haul. Some guys are here to haul dry-box, some flatbed, and then there is me car hauling. God I love my job. Are there days I want to choke dispatch? You bet your a$$ there is, but if you really like what you are hauling then the little things don't get to you as much.