User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Log book requirements

I have a CDL and have recieved differing opinions from state compliance officers. (1) To conduct operations within the state of Florida, I am required to retain records in a log book. (2) I only intend on operating within the state of Florida and would be within a 12 hour range from my principal base of operations. (3) The equipment that I operate is a 1-ton dually F-450 with a fifth wheel conversion, and a 4 car trailer. Some of the operators of the same equipment had given me differing opinions about the actual requirements I might expect to fall under.

I appreciate any and all replies......

Thank you
Florida wheelin
Old 09-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Logbook

"operating in Florida and 12 hour range from my principal base" Time isn't the determinate, it's distance (100 mile radius). And what's your secondary base? If you'll only operate within the 100 miles, you'll be keeping time cards for an audit, right? BOL
Old 09-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Senior Board Member

If you operate more than 100 air miles from your base of operations, or you do not return daily to your home terminal then you will need to keep a log book.

If you stay within the 100 air mile limit and return to your home terminal then you may keep track of your hours worked on a time card, pay sheet, etc. You still can use a log book if you want, and it would be adviseable if from time to time you travel away from that 100 mile radius and/or do not return home for any given night.

Fmcsa regs 395
Old 09-15-2006, 05:04 PM
Board Icon

If you are only engaged in INTRASTATE COMMERCE, you would only fall under Florida's requirements. I would contact Florida DOT to find out what those are. Be sure to tell them what type of vehicle you are running. If I'm not mistaken, ANY commercial vehicle (which you would be) has to stop at scales in Florida.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
If you are only engaged in INTRASTATE COMMERCE, you would only fall under Florida's requirements. I would contact Florida DOT to find out what those are. Be sure to tell them what type of vehicle you are running. If I'm not mistaken, ANY commercial vehicle (which you would be) has to stop at scales in Florida.
100% correct, because FL and GA/AL may have different rules, and add the Florida Agricultural Check Stations to that list. If you are carrying cars you will stand a very high chance of "visiting" with them occasionally to show the "documents" on the cars you are carrying.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.