LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hobo,

I think this is probably the link you were talking about:

http://www.combinedtransport.com/driver/drivers.html

Doesn't look like they take newbies however...

Longsnowsm
Old 09-14-2006, 06:24 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsnowsm
Hobo,

Longsnowsm
Nice!! Now to get my 3 years w/1 yr flatbed exp. in.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsnowsm
Hobo,

Longsnowsm
Like I said... I don't KNOW the link to their website. I found a LINK through one of their drivers, after only 9 months or so on the road. That's why I suggested he DO the OTR time. During this time, he will meet drivers/recruiters from many GOOD companies. These drivers are always looking for GOOD people, and can bend the requirements if they want. I could have called this guy's manager the next day and got a job! In fact... I'm offered a new job almost every week I'm out there! Even before they know how long I've been driving, they get a feel for the fact that I CAN drive, and WILL work!

I guess I was just giving the poster an idea to harbor for awhile, of what might be possible after just a short time OTR. But let me be clear....

ALL newbies MUST pay dues! Get experience and learn to be a trucker. Be loyal to your first company until you just can't rationalize it any more. Then, make the change to the best company you've learned about in the 9 months to a year that it will take you to "find yourself" in trucking.

After speaking with this driver from Combined Transport, I know there are better jobs out there for me. I'm just being real patient about choosing the right one, instead of "jumping" at the first offer.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo

ALL newbies MUST pay dues! Get experience and learn to be a trucker. Be loyal to your first company until you just can't rationalize it any more. Then, make the change to the best company you've learned about in the 9 months to a year that it will take you to "find yourself" in trucking.

After speaking with this driver from Combined Transport, I know there are better jobs out there for me. I'm just being real patient about choosing the right one, instead of "jumping" at the first offer.
There are lots of good jobs out there at all experience levels. You just have to be patient and picky. It took me about a year or research until I found Con-Way. Be loyal to you employer, but at the same time don't do anything unsafe or illegal.

Talk to some of the drivers for the companies you're looking at they will give you the no BS low down on the company vs the rose colored glasses of recruiters.

Priorities are 1) Stay Safe 2) Protect your CDL 3) Keep your employer happy. As long as you take care of 1 & 2 you can find a new job if need be.