User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A Few Questions

Finally gotten everything together and scheduled a date for school and I start the beginning of October. I have decided to go the flat bed route, from reading posts, talking to some van/refer/flatbed drivers. It seems like a good fit for me. I will be through school (4 weeks) and company training (6-8 weeks) just before or just after Christmas.

Companies I am considering (in no order).
Hunt Transportation - Part of Crete
Arrow Transportation - Tulsa OK
Systems Transport - Spokane, WA

a couple others but those are the top three... any information from drivers on those companies? Or other companies I should be considering that WA is in their hiring area.

This might be something I learn in school but when you are on your "home time" and its winter how do you keep the fuel from gelling when you aren't running the truck?

Are there any items I will need to buy that I wouldn't normally need driving a van or refer?

I have been reading the winter driving tip thread and making notes so I wanted to say thanks for all the information on that thread and I will not ask the same question here.

TIA
Old 09-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
This might be something I learn in school but when you are on your "home time" and its winter how do you keep the fuel from gelling when you aren't running the truck?
There are a few possible ways. There are additives you can put in the fuel, you can buy #1 diesel which have anti-gel additives in it (with company permission). Even with the use of either of those it is a good idea to start and run the truck for at least 30 minutes every day to help keep everything in good order once the temp drops below 10 degrees.

Quote:
Are there any items I will need to buy that I wouldn't normally need driving a van or refer?
You will definately want a pair of cover-alls to protect your clothes. A hard hat is also a good idea so you can keep from borrowing one at some factories, a good pair of work boots that are steel toed. Also a strap winder is a great tool to have though you dont really need one.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the reply I wasn't sure how long a truck could sit before it became a problem. If you don't bobtail home and have to leave the truck at the yard will they start it?

I have coveralls and steel toed boots. I will pick up the hard hat.