User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 01:15 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I've had a surgery

About 5 years ago I had a Back surgery and I've been wanting to go into The Trucking Industry....Now that most of the equipment is Air-ride...How bad is it for those of you that have or had back problems?
Old 09-12-2006, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Shouldn't be sop bad. My dad has had 3 surgeries on his back and has been a trucker right around 30 years. The newer equipment is pretty ergonomic, so you should find it a comfortable work career if you can take the BS with it.

BOL
Old 09-12-2006, 02:46 AM
Senior Board Member

There is more abuse that your back goes through than just the ride. Coupling and uncoupling, adjusting the position of the trailer tandems to balance the load, and loading or unloading boxes that may weigh 75 lbs' or more are just some of the things you need to make sure you can handle.

One thing for sure. If you are unable to handle riding in your average car for 500-600 miles in 11-14 clock hours you will not be able to handle the rigors of driving a truck.

Just giving you some indicators/questions to ask yourself before you invest the time and/or money to pursue truck driving.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I broke my back several years ago and I do just fine driving. I get a little stiff if I sit all day. Other than that, I don't have a problem. If I still had a spring ride truck, I am not sure. Air ride makes all the difference. If you don't have a lot of pain and problems with your back, you will probably do all right. You may want to stop every few hours and get out of the truck.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:36 AM
Rookie
Default But what I want to really know is

Are there alot of companies that do mostly drop and hook I'd prefer not to have to off load for 2-3 hours at a time after the surgery for any frequency and being a potential rookie at this I'm just feeling out my options but the fact is I'm a Corrections Officer for the last 13 years and I'm completely Burned out with having 30 bosses breathing all over me and I'm looking for a changeI just drove from Terre Haute IN. to Jacksonville Fla. straight trough 13 hours...granted that was by car but I think I would love the freedom of the road...I just don't want to make the wrong decision....I would really appreciate some REAL honest imput on this cause it has always been an interest of mine. Thank you all who have and will respond!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: But what I want to really know is

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsherm
Are there alot of companies that do mostly drop and hook I'd prefer not to have to off load for 2-3 hours at a time after the surgery for any frequency and being a potential rookie at this I'm just feeling out my options but the fact is I'm a Corrections Officer for the last 13 years and I'm completely Burned out with having 30 bosses breathing all over me and I'm looking for a changeI just drove from Terre Haute IN. to Jacksonville Fla. straight trough 13 hours...granted that was by car but I think I would love the freedom of the road...I just don't want to make the wrong decision....I would really appreciate some REAL honest imput on this cause it has always been an interest of mine. Thank you all who have and will respond!

I had back surgery and never had a problem.

I guess I was lucky because I never load or unloader a trailer.

There is alot going on besides driving. Such thing as being gone most of the time. It takes years nornally to get job where you will be home every day. I tell people that driving is life style. And very few people can adjust to that life style.

kc0iv
Old 09-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Rookie
Default Thank you ...to all who have

Responded, The "Being away from Home"part will not bother me as My Ex wife now lives about 100 miles from me so I only see my kids now every 2 weeks....I'm more concerned about the rigors of OTR driving when it comes to back problems, I had a few Vertebrae fused 5 years ago and was really wanting to go into Trucking before the surgery...I've given my back plenty of time to heal and I'm sick of my current job.....Is it more or less what Company you get on with as to the amount of loading and off loading or should I expect to have to ( no pun intended) Bust my Hump regardless of who I get on with...I'd really like some sound advise from you guys on this topic..Thanks
Old 09-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Board Regular

I drove for a company one time that had mack trucks with cheap seats. Just about the only thing these seats had were the air ride. They were completely flat and really hard like cinder blocks. The only adjustments they had were front to back for leg room. These were real back killers and butt killers I might add. I haven't worked for anyone else though that had these seats.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Board Regular

I drive tractor trailer end dumps but locally. I have seen some otr ones. There is no coupling/uncoupling or hand loading/unloading to this job. To unload you flip a couple switches to open the end gate and lower your air bags and then turn your pto on and raise your bed up and down. It's real easy. I haul coal and to load up they have an automated system: you swipe a card select what weight you want and where you are going, wait for a green light and pull under the chute. When you get your second green light you just pull up in low gear as slow as you can until the chute raises back up again. Pretty easy. Your almost always scaled out and if you aren't it's just a matter of hammering the throttle and hitting your brakes either forward or in reverse where ever you are heavy to get the weight off.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Rookie
Default One more question

How thorough are the CDL exams ..as I have a pretty signifigant scar due to this surgery?Once again thanks for the replies.