User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How long does it take to smoothout

How long does it take to smooth out when you first get out with a trainer. I do realize that when you get your CDL after school you still don't know shit. I know this is an openended question. Put some numbers on it.

Shifting? Not saying holy shit in your mind all day long? Is backing the hardest to smooth out on?

John
Atlanta
Old 09-12-2006, 01:19 AM
Board Regular

Jonesii.... don't know if there are any hard set and fast numbers to give you buddy. It all depends on the person..... I've seen some who after 6 hours in the seat on their first day had their shifting down......and I've seen some who after 6 weeks were still having problems. Some get in synch with the rig faster than others..........some never get in synch and are tense their whole careers (as short as they usually end up being).

As to backing, I think those who are able to think visually in spacial relationships seem to pick it up faster........either way, both are something that if you pay attention to your problems, make adjustments and practice, practice, practice..........it'll come to you.

I remember very well the day, my backing just clicked...... one day I was trying to steer the back of the trailer into slots and the next, I was pushing it where I wanted it............I think it was my third day out and my trainer had told me the day before that I was steering the trailer into the slot and that that was my problem.........he said don't steer it.......think more of pushing it where you want it.......once I did that, my problems weren't problems anymore.

You'll get it .... don't worry.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Senior Board Member

I second what lifespallette said.

Only other thing to add.... It will take as long as it takes, but for the majority its not that long. 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member

All I can tell you is the more you do it and the more relaxed you are the faster, time wise, it will come together for you, for the most part.

I say that because most of us, the ones who will admit it anyway, still have days from time to time where we shift like a first day newbie and can't back to save our lives.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:40 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

As said-there's no time frame but Until I had a small grasp of what was going on, this was in '78, I didn't start to really feel comfortable for a couple of years. I could do the Driving fine-It was just all of the Tons of stuff that you pick up and use and the tricks you learn that takes time.
Also, you'll never stop learning because something new will always come up
Old 09-12-2006, 02:50 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

In my humble opinion, truckdriving is a very skilled profession. I believe it takes about 2 years to get it down pat and another 1-2 to really master the trade.

Anyone can drive a truck, but it takes real skill to pick-up and deliver freight in a safe and efficient manner. CDL mills give the industry a black eye and anyone consdering one is doing a disservice to him\herself and the industry at large.

My .02 cents.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:48 AM

Well, I was a rookie just a year ago. I have been all around in that year though... :lol: Already worked for SNI, USX, CFL (local) and now I drive local hauling vans and containers (such as maersk sealand) in and out the seaport and railyards, also between our warehouses. I have driven freightliners, macks and volvos, even a 79' mack that I had no clue about! As far as backing, I don't really have to think about it too much anymore since I do it so much. Shifting is different in every truck, but once you get used to shifting, you can adjust to any truck within a week. An example, that 79' mack. :lol: Anyway, I think I do very well now.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Board Regular

Once out of trainer truck it was about 4-6 months before I was "comfortable" in the job...shifting, backing, truck placement, paperwork. This next 6 months will be honing my skills to make it more natural. However, I have found out that when I am tired nothing comes together. At first it seems like you will never get a routine or flow to your days. Then one day everything goes RIGHT :shock: That is the "ah ha" moment and trucking becomes enjoyable. Every day is a day of practice. Have patience and you will suceed...I am.

Soladad
Old 09-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Senior Board Member

I feel like a newbie right now... After driving for a little over 5 yrs, I got my 1st 'new' truck - almost, anyway, it just turned 45k miles. The main problem I'm having is the shifting. The pattern is tight, the linkage is still stiff, and the gears aren't a bit worn down.

Every time I shift I want to kick myself in the ass for grinding. :lol:
Old 09-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I feel like a newbie right now... After driving for a little over 5 yrs, I got my 1st 'new' truck - almost, anyway, it just turned 45k miles. The main problem I'm having is the shifting. The pattern is tight, the linkage is still stiff, and the gears aren't a bit worn down.

Every time I shift I want to kick myself in the ass for grinding. :lol:
I hear ya, the truck I drive the most has almost 300,000 miles on it, when I drive locally here we have some trucks that have only 15,000 miles on them, brand spanking new this year. Shifting them is very sensitive, very notchy. Takes some getting used to :-)