User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tips for Rookies

Hey Everyone,

I just signed up today, and I was hoping maybe some of you veterans could chime in and give us rookies some helpful hints and tips about life on the road. I just thought it might be nice to hit the basics in a new thread that's fresh and interesting. Maybe touch on topics like:

* LEGAL Protection.
* Economical/Healthy Food Options (That don't sacrifice taste).
* Dealing with Lot Lizards.
* Inexpensive solutions for miscellanious problems.
* What types of animals make good OTR pets?

Thanks everybody!
Old 09-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Rookie Tips

* Legal Protection. You have none if you break company, local, state, or federal laws or regulations.
* Economical/Healthy Food Options (That don't sacrifice taste). Don't eat more calories than you'll burn off during your day. Define "taste".
* Dealing with Lot Lizards. Just say no or have a full-body stainless steel condom and keep your shot record current.
* Inexpensive solutions for miscellaneous problems. Too broad, depends on the wagon you're draggin'.
* What types of animals make good OTR pets? Stuffed. BOL
Old 09-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Tips for Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharismaticEvil
Hey Everyone,

* What types of animals make good OTR pets?
I'm no veteran, but I can probably already attest that you'd want a small dog, not a big one. I would think small dogs wouldn't take up as much room as a bigger one, plus they'd be easier to bathe. And if he jumped in your lap, you'd still be able to see, whereas if a big dog jumps in your lap, he might block your view or cause you to run off the road or something. :wink:
Old 09-12-2006, 01:13 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the imput so far guys, here's a few ideas I had as well -

* LEGAL Protection -

6 Cell Maglite (Flashlite, Tire Thumper, Sterilizer if need be)

* Economical/Healthy Food Options (That don't sacrifice taste) -

Vanilla Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, String Cheese, Chocolate Soy Milk

* Dealing with Lot Lizards -

Laminated print out driver & passenger windows w/ crossed out lizard and text "Police WILL be called". And or large dog to greet them.

* Inexpensive solutions for miscellanious problems -

Oakly Razors at $250.00: They're customizable sun glasses, MP3 Player, and come Blue Tooth equipped!

* What types of animals make good OTR pets -

Sphynx cat (Remember the naked, hairless cat Dr. Evil had in Austin Powers?) They don't shed, negligeble dander. You don't have to stop to let them do their business, they're very effectionette temperment wise and love to cuddle up in bed to share body heat, and you can get away with names like "Butt Naked Purrfection" on their papers, while calling them "Streaker" for short, lol.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The best OTR pet is the one you leave at home. Having a pet in the truck can be dangerous and many companies won't allow them. Some may allow them with a deposit. I don't want them in my truck. Unless they are well trained, they can really destroy the interior. In addition, there isn't enough room for a dog to exercise. Remember, you are at work. You wouldn't take a dog to your office or factory, I don't understand why you should expect to be able to take one with you to your work, just because you drive a truck. There are some shippers who will not allow pets on their property, so you may not be able to do your job if you have a pet in the truck. Pets can be a distraction in a truck, which is a safety concern. If you feel the need to take a pet with you, perhaps you should not go OTR. Just stay at home and find a local job where you can keep your pet company.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Rookie

GMAN,

Ok, I can definately see your point, but since you're sticking to that point specifically, how do you personally tend your desire to have a companion? I have also heard that having a pet tends to keep drivers more alert and in better shape, given the required stops for pooch's business. These stops could easily be taken every 3 hours or 150 miles to do your safety checks I would think. Now I completely agree that a puppy should not be taken OTR, as they lack good training, and the ability to "hold it"., but a dog could be used in a variety of positive ways:

* Companion.
* Legal Protection.
* Ensuring we stop often enough and avoid the notorious "trucker profile".
* Avoiding renting a car/cab if pooch is big enough and sulky/cart trained on scenic stops. This gives Rover a great cardiovascular workout.

But every point you brought up is also valid, each side of the argument has its up's and downs. I for one, being a female trucker, am supportive of the idea of having a good sized dog to keep the unsavory types at bay. Though I'm not saying have a Saint Bernard by any means, maybe a rottweiler. Consistant grooming would be a must to keep Rover smelling clean and not smelling up your truck. No long haired breeds of any pet type for me, too much shedding and dander.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Senior Board Member

I have a small dog, a Min Pin that loves to go with me in the truck or car or wherever I go. She is truck broken so those issues are over with too.

I found her to be quite the snow dog....she loved Washington state last winter!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Rookie

Hi Bumper,

Thanks for chiming in! I'm curious, is there a real difference in truck breaking and house breaking a dog? What does it take if there are real differences?

Also, the thread is for more than just pets, other helpful tid bits anyone?

On healthy/tasteful eating, I did some research online today and came across these thoughts:

Sandwhiches - Start with whole grain wheat bread, go easy on the meat, stack it with your favorite veggies, cut out the dressings and eat it dry (they're loaded with fat and calories), if you must have cheese, go easy on it, or better yet, give soy cheese a try. Don't say eww until you actually try it guys! Just make sure you have a big drink close at hand. Water, juice, and low fat milks are good choices.

Conscious Choice said - "Dried Fruits Figs, prunes, and dates are high in fiber and a good way to keep the digestion process rolling. Dried fruits like papaya, mango, apricot, and cranberries can also do the trick. Banana chips have almost a potato chip-like taste and crunch, and a few organic potato chips won?t hurt, though they?re loaded with fat.

Fruits Unpeeled fruits like oranges, bananas, kiwi, and grapes make great snacks; just make sure you wash the fruit before you leave home. Slicing up an orange and putting the segments in a Ziploc-style bag makes it easy to eat while driving ? but remember, only slice your fruit if you plan to eat it within a few hours.

Vegetable Dips and Toppings Vegetable pat?, sun-dried tomato paste, pesto paste, and artichoke spreads can dress up the bread and crackers you bring along. And the high oil content keeps these products safe.

Bean Dips Nowadays, hummus has become almost a generic term for kind of creamy bean dip, and the original recipe has been enhanced with a range of flavors as diverse as those you?d find in cream cheese spreads. Hummus spreads come in garlic and chive, tomato and basil, roasted red pepper, and lemon.You can find them in a refrigerated section of the supermarket, and you should keep them chilled.

But you can find canned bean dips, too, in the bean segment of the chips and salsa zone of any grocery store. Whether pinto or black bean, these dips can serve as a dip, a side dish, or a sandwich filling. Most bean dips are loaded with iron, fiber and protein, and some are fat-free, as well."

The Diet Channel Said - "Suggestions For Crunchy-Chewy Snacks
For a salty snack, bring baked tortilla chips, pretzels or whole-grain crackers. If you?re watching your weight, try the new smaller snack packs which come in 100-calorie portions. For a chewier snack, bring some low-fat string cheese and dried fruit, such as raisins, apricots, and cranberries. During the summer months, take advantage of the increased variety of fresh produce available and their reduced prices. Vegetables that travel well include green pepper strips, carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumber sticks, or broccoli or cauliflower flowerets.

Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
Fruits that travel well include apples, bananas, or? anges, grapes, peaches, plums, pears, and nectarines. In addition, many pre-packaged foods are available in single-serving cups for easy eating, including non-fat and low-fat yogurt, pudding, gelatin, and applesauce. Also, if you enjoy baking, pack some nutritious, homemade muffins or cookie bars."

You might consider checking these sites out if the above info. was of interest: http://www.angelfire.com/il2/figskat...avelmeals.html
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a
http://www.wacotrib.com/featr/conten...ldlydiets.html

Some of these aren't feasible onboard the rig, but some are. Most are if you're willing to get an inverter... I only speak for myself, but I could stand to lose a few pounds, and I'd rather live longer, and healthier. Besides, being smaller means spending less on all kinds of stuff provided you aren't trying to be Barbie. Now if only there was a magical solution to make the dogs stop howling over the CB at everything with a pair upstairs. :P
Old 09-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Rookie

Newbie here.... What is a lot lizard?
Old 09-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Senior Board Member

It was just a matter of remembering to take her out when ever I stopped.
She got the idea right away.

Subway is about the best fast food your going to get at a truck stop.
Except for Popeyes Chicken...Im addicted to it...LOL

Being a diabetic, I stay away from the candy snacks anyways, so that is not a big problem for me.