User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I used to own a Harley. I never had a problem with it. I do know that there were several years when they had some problems. As far as I know, they have solved any quality control or breakdown issues.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Board Icon

There used to be a commercial on TV about our local Harley shop. It may have been a nationwide commercial,so yall may have seen it. It showed this blind black man walking down a sidewalk with his walking stick. All of a sudden,you hear what sounds like a set of straights,and he stops for a second,and says"nice hawley",and starts walking again. :P :lol:
Old 09-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I used to own a Harley. I never had a problem with it. I do know that there were several years when they had some problems. As far as I know, they have solved any quality control or breakdown issues.
ahhhh yea the AMF years they are much better now
Old 09-09-2006, 02:45 PM

I think we are on to something here,,,,,,why not open your own truck wash/detailing center,,,,,,you could put a sign up outside that says "All trucks hand washed inside and out"

You've already got a customer base right here.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Employ college girls, and you could beat out Blue Beacon. Hell...all they'd have to scrub is the windshield. :? 8)

.... :? T*Storm...I don't know if that helps you with your Blood sugar levels...but it sure is a sweet idea.

Harley's back in the AMF days were nicknamed Bowling Balls.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Board Regular

Walking is really the beast form of excerise with very low impact on your body i used to walk 3 to 4 miles per day sure does relieve the stress in life and yes helps keep blood sugar levels in check several Doc's have told any form of excerise is good better than being a couch tater BTW good luck to ya
Old 09-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
BETTER THAN A HARLEY?!! :shock: I like a Honda, but there is nothing quite like a Harley.
For practicing your mechanical skills, I couldn't agree more. Harley Rocks. If you'd rather ride...well...

Harley got a little better after the AMF days, but the only Harley I would even consider is their Porsche / Harley collaboration the night rod (maybe the new street bob - but I'd have to dump those mini apes.)

All three are in the 15k range - street bob being a tad less - with no mods.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have spoken to several Harley owners in the last few years and they seem to be happy with the quality of the product right now. I think the AMF days were a disaster for them.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Senior Board Member

The keys to happy Harley ownership...

1. Make sure after you buy the bike get on good terms with your local shop service department. Most of the Harley service departments I have visited have been first class and they do take care of thier customer. If your on the road and have an issue and your away from home they will bump you in the service line to get you on the road ahead of the routine service local bikes. They are awesome.

2. Stay on top of the service bullitens for your bike. The local shop is flooded with bikes during the normal rush times in the spring and summer months and cannot keep track of everything that comes out regarding your bike. Print those things out and take them in with you on your regular service visits. I had a few items that I caught and had fixed at no cost to me because of this and it also fixed some issues I had come up.

3. Motorcycles in general experience a lot more vibration and jarring than other vehicles. You have to watch things that might be affected by this vibration. You should on a regular interval do a PTI to make sure tire pressures are right, everything is tight, and you have everything with you that you might need. On my previous Harley and another cruiser I owned the issue that popped up was the exhaust pipe header bolts wanted to back out causing a leak which cracked, popped, and if bad enough would backfire in the exhaust. Another bike I owned the issue was in the bars, riser bolts, and hand controls. A buddy of mine has an issue with his heal toe shifter and rear brake that he has to keep an eye on as bolts, clips, and pieces will come loose and can fall off. This is just motorcyles in general. A lot of people confuse these things happening on a Harley with quality issues, but the fact is that it happens to all bikes if ridden regularly and your putting miles on the bikes.

Harley just started extending thier service intervals last year so that tells me they think they have most of the kinks worked out. For a while there were issues with fuel injection remapping and some electronics components, and crush gasket problems causing leaks from the top of the motor once the bike had some miles on them. Sounds like they think they have those issues sorted out. Now is probably the best time to buy a new Harley if someone is in the market for a bike...

Me, I am between bikes at the moment... But I surely do love them!

Longsnowsm