User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Newbie with endorsement & other questions

I start school on the 18th of this month and want to take a step or two ahead. I've already studied for and passed my CDL permit test (Friday). Can I take the test for any other endorsements while I wait? I'm leaning towards getting my HAZMAT and tanker endorsements since I have experience handling hazardous materials. Any help or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

My background: Veteran (6.5 yrs Army) Communications/Cavalry Scout - went in during the Gulf War, but was over by the time I finished training, been overseas (3.5 yrs.), became a Scout in 95', did a Border Patrol mission (fun catching drug smugglers), geared up to do another, but got called to Kuwait in 96' (miserable time), got out in 97'. As a civilian worked my way up in a manufacturing company, got tired of the politics and office b.s., and quit in 05'. Since then been a consultant, repo agent, and driver for medical supplies. Nothings been steady though, so I decided to take the advice of my best friend and drive trucks. Father is retired truck driver (been driving since Vietnam), and doesn't like the idea of me following in his footsteps. I don't know if I'll make it a career yet though.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Senior Board Member

If you are wanting your hazmat endorsement it would be in your best intrest to go and get the background check done and over with as it can take up to 6 or 8 weeks for it to come back, even though it may be back in a week or 2.

Before jumping ahead and taking a bunch of endorsement tests it would be a good idea to double check with the school to see if the written tests are included in the course fees or not. If they are you could end up paying for them twice. If they are not then go ahead and take any written test you want like tanker, doubles/triples, etc.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

My husband took the written for hazmat and tankers and all. He did not pay for the background check. We read somewhere that if you jump the gun you may get tested twice. I forget which thread this was on. But another student did that and had to have a second test.

So I would check with the DMV and the school.

Now we just have to pay the fee for the background check and we can do that anytime within a year.

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 09-03-2006, 08:07 PM

Already checked, the school doesn't include any of the tests, but I will check into getting the background check done. I'm sure that it won't take so long considering my military background and having it done a couple other times for other jobs plus getting my firearms owners i.d. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Default Tanker Questions

Does anyone on here haul a tanker? If so, how do you like it and what made you start doing so? The reason why I'm asking is that I'm interested in driving tankers myself, because I think that it's a challenge. Basically, I want to know some of the ups and downs of this path. Any insight would be helpful and many thanks.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Senior Board Member

IMHO I think you should get a year, at least, of experience pulling vans or flats before jumping into tankers.

Tankers are very unforgiving and can put you in a world of hurt if you are not very careful as well as very smooth in your shifting and braking techniques.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:20 AM
Default Re: Tanker Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRolln
Does anyone on here haul a tanker? If so, how do you like it and what made you start doing so? The reason why I'm asking is that I'm interested in driving tankers myself, because I think that it's a challenge. Basically, I want to know some of the ups and downs of this path. Any insight would be helpful and many thanks.
EasyRolln, just was wondering the same as I got my cdl permit and tanker endorsement today. found this thread started by cyanide. Everthing you need to know . Massive info.
http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...pic.php?t=7031
Old 09-11-2006, 04:35 AM
Default Re: Tanker Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobotox
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRolln
EasyRolln, just was wondering the same as I got my cdl permit and tanker endorsement today. found this thread started by cyanide. Everthing you need to know . Massive info.
http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...pic.php?t=7031
nobotox,

Congrats on getting your permit and tanker endorsement, and many thanks for the link to cyanide's post! It answered a lot of questions for me. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:54 AM

I do drive a gas tanker and it is not bad as long as you pay attention. Gas tankers have baffles which I would think are easier than a tanker without. Have never driven a tanker without baffles. As long as I am fully loaded it really doesnt drive much different than anything else. Now if only a couple compartments are full then it is a different ballgame all together. Braking and turning become much more dangerous. I would definitely suggest pulling something else for a while before tanker though. Most places will want you to have some sort of experience driving other things before hiring to drive a tanker.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Default tankers

Uturn2001, teamster,
after much thought ,research and your advice on tankers I think I will get a year under my belt in vans or flatbeds before hooking up to a tank full of gasoline or milk. Better safe than sorry. When I think of trucks hauling gas I always remember something that happened in Brownfield,Tx when I was a little kid. Back in the 50's!! One night a pickup truck collided with a tanker truck hauling gasoline at a highway intersection coming into town. They started on fire and was burning furiously. Rescue workers were trying to get the driver out of the semi when it blew up. Killed several people and seriously hurt more. One of my school friends was there with his dad as they ran a ambulance service and owned the mortuary in town. My friend had his ear blown off from shrapnel.
I was asleep at home and didn't know anything about it till next day but more of my friends living close by me were actually shaken out of there beds from the explosion and we were 1 or 2 miles from where it happened.
Not that I am afraid of pulling a tanker full of gas but I want to make damn sure I can do it safely before I do it. That means, get some experience driving a semi pulling grocerys,steel or diapers first. I consider myself a good and safe driver in a 4-wheeler but a peterbilt hauling 80,000 lbs of goods is much different, and a tanker full of gasoline, chlorine or grape juice for that matter, does require more skill, and skill only comes with experience of which I have none of at this time. So tanks for the advice, I will heed it and if a year down the road if I feel like I could do tankers safely, I may just to it. 2 more weeks of cdl school and I will have a license. (If I don't fail the driving test!) Start learning how to drive a truck next Monday and I can't hardly wait. (I am a little apprehensive about it though) ,as a freighliner up close is a big machine! Kinda scary!! I have been talking with May Trucking and I think thats my 1st choice. Saw one of there trucks bobtailing on my way home this afternoon and I sure wished I was in it. Thanks again for sound advice for a newbie. nobotox