User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default IFTA

about how long does it take for application to be process and mailed back. I got everything (as a carrier) ready but no IFTA yet. Thanks. And also if anyone knows a way around that please let me know.

thanks!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: IFTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by colectron
about how long does it take for application to be process and mailed back. I got everything (as a carrier) ready but no IFTA yet. Thanks. And also if anyone knows a way around that please let me know.

thanks!!!
I would not try to "get around" IFTA..... the fines may completely rearrange your thought processes... and your bank accounts. Patience is a virtue, and where your IFTA is concerned, no doubt. Have you called and looked into a temporary document to cover you til you get your final documents?

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You will have to show them a copy of your motor carrier authority before you can register with IFTA. If you already have your MC# you can drive to your state capital, or who handles that in your state, and spend the day with them. If you arrive early, you can probably get everything you need the same day. You can get your base plates, SSR, and IFTA all at the same time. Otherwise, it can take from several days to several weeks. :shock:
Old 08-24-2006, 04:38 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You will have to show them a copy of your motor carrier authority before you can register with IFTA. If you already have your MC# you can drive to your state capital, or who handles that in your state, and spend the day with them. If you arrive early, you can probably get everything you need the same day. You can get your base plates, SSR, and IFTA all at the same time. Otherwise, it can take from several days to several weeks. :shock:
Hey-Didn't you just do that a couple of months ago in Nashville? :P
Old 08-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Rookie

thanks for your advices.
This morning I went to the texas comptroller office near me and got IFTA sticker.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:04 AM
Rookie
Default IFTA tax

How does the ifta thing work? Do i need to keep track of how many miles i do in each state considering i will only be out of my based state once or twice out of the month? Im a new O/O and just got my apportioned plates but dont have the ifta or dot/mc # yet. So im gonna be running in CA until all that stuff comes in..Is there any other taxes that need to be paid to uncle Sam other then the heavyweight tax?
Old 09-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Gman knows some good trucking software for this I think. You may want to PM him- I can't remember the website.

By heavyweight tax do you mean the 2290 Heavy Vehicle Use Tax? That's the bad boy you don't want to forget! It was due August 31st.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: IFTA tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckrus
How does the ifta thing work? Do i need to keep track of how many miles i do in each state considering i will only be out of my based state once or twice out of the month? Im a new O/O and just got my apportioned plates but dont have the ifta or dot/mc # yet. So im gonna be running in CA until all that stuff comes in..Is there any other taxes that need to be paid to uncle Sam other then the heavyweight tax?

Yes you have to show all miles. Best bet would be to contact OOIDA and they will be able to set you up with what you need.

If you are talking about your 2290 it would depend on when you purchased the truck. The 2290 may have already been paid for the year.

kc0iv
Old 10-06-2006, 05:29 AM
Rookie

yeah i am refering to the 2290 form....I bought my truck in the beginning of aug. 2006 but didnt get my trailer till mid sept. And i didnt start operating until oct 2 which was a few days ago. So when would i need to file for the 2290 form?

Also since it is my first yr in businness how are my taxes gonna look at the end of the yr considering i spent alot of money to start the business...Am i gonna end up paying alot back to the irs?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckrus
yeah i am refering to the 2290 form....I bought my truck in the beginning of aug. 2006 but didnt get my trailer till mid sept. And i didnt start operating until oct 2 which was a few days ago. So when would i need to file for the 2290 form?

Also since it is my first yr in businness how are my taxes gonna look at the end of the yr considering i spent alot of money to start the business...Am i gonna end up paying alot back to the irs?

2290 taxes was due July 1. The question is-- Did the previous owner pay the taxes? If not then you will have to pay the tax. If he/she paid then you won't owe anything till July 2007. You should have received a statement in your paperwork when you purchased the truck.

Look at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i2290...2IRS%202290%22

They explain all the requirements.

As to your taxes that's were a good tax man comes in. Your operating a business and should set up an account with someone that knows the trucking business.

kc0iv