View Poll Results: How long do you usually drive without stopping?
2 hours 4 8.89%
3 hours 10 22.22%
4 hours 10 22.22%
5 hours 7 15.56%
6 hours 14 31.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Bunny
.....then kids 11 hours straight.

What's wrong can't drive 11 hours straight yourself? :roll:
No I can't, I am a kid.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Rookie

Reply to Super8

I like walking too, and I think it's the simplest way to exercise: you don't need any special gear (like a bike when you wanna ride); or clothes (you already have them)... Ever since I started driving a big rig, I came to like big shopping plazas. Whenever I see a sign "WalMart" or "Staples" or anything like that, it usually means there's plenty of space for my rig and I can take some time and just stroll/walk thru stores and look at things.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:56 AM

I will stop every 3 hours but in bad weather or traffic it will go up to 6 hours just to make the miles. Remember your health is the most important issue. Female drivers will need to stop more often due to their urinary tract and the anatomy of a female. Plus the females can't use a bottle like their male counter parts. Remember that your legs, back, and entire circulatory system are all in need of constant stops to regulate your common body functions. Don't forget that the most important cargo you carry is yourself!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Senior Board Member

i usually drive 11 straight then enjoy my 10 hr break .....but there are times i stop at around 8 hrs ...this is of course if you don't count the 2-3 couple minute stops i take pulling off to the roadside to void ...
Old 03-08-2006, 09:02 PM

I look at it like this, "When the tires stop rolling, so does the money." I drive until I either have to take care of mother nature business, or until I get where I'm going, or when the log book say's I'm out of time.

But that's just me...
Old 03-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Senior Board Member

How I run for a day is completely dependent on what kind of run I am doing.

We have "relays" that we do occasionally. One driver starts out, goes 300 to 500+ miles with it and passes it off to another driver who is waiting for the trailer. Those runs are run very tightly. Little or no stopping other than for absolute necessities. Its time sensitive freight with "drop dead times" on them.

If its a standard load.... I may run out 650-700 miles in a day, depending on the state, the terrain, and the weather. All of those things can directly affect your average speed and mileage coverage. I will stop maybe every 4 hours or so and get out and walk around, kick the tires (notice I said "kick the tires") to do an en-route safety check and stretch my muscles. Generally speaking, I cover as much mileage as I can each day and get as close to my delivery as possible, even spending the night at the receiver if possible so I have my 10 hr break in so I can take another load assignment in the morning.

Now this load I have right now....Laredo to Miami with extra time on it... I've been loafing along. Had an extra day to get here..... so I've been loafing along. And I'm already at my receiver, so after I am unloaded in the morning....I'll be fresh and ready to drive home for a few days!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Senior Board Member

I never considered myself a "trucker". I just like to make a living. I'm single, no child support, no rent or mortage, no big debts, I don't need to run 4000 miles a week and stay out a month at a time. When I drove OTR I'd usually run about 8-10 hours straight, sometimes, when heading home, 12+ hours straight. Never found it too difficult. I always just kind of got into the rhythm of it and the hours would fly by. Now that I've gotten used to local driving I can barely tolerate driving more than 40 miles without stopping!
Old 03-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

No matter what I am driving, car, motorcycle or tractor trailer. I always get out about every two hours for a few minutes. Bump the tires, check the slacks, get a coffee or take a leak. Sometimes all four.

I do not eat breakfast if I am on the road early. Usually I like to eat around 10:00 am, then again around 5 or 6.

I take lots of water with me and drink it all day long. The more water I drink, the less tired I feel.

I also like to have high energy snacks and something with high protein.

I find having tea (with caffeine) gives me a boost around 3:00 in the afternoon.

And if I think I need it, I will grab a cat nap in the early afternoon also.

None of the above has ever cost me a dime, or lost me a job.

One thing I know for sure. The other end of the road is always there. My job is to make sure I get to it. As soon as someone tells me I have to be anywhere at a certain time, and if it is unreasonable, I immediately slow down. That is the last time they say it.

I had a dispatcher who use to ask me all the time when the freight was going to be in town. I use to say "about one second after me, I can see it in the rear view mirrors".