View Poll Results: What kind of work profession have you come from, are you driving, just looking etc.
Technical -- Just looking 1 5.56%
Technical -- Started training, Driving, Or have driven 4 22.22%
Business -- Just looking 0 0%
Business -- Started training, Driving, Or have driven 1 5.56%
Professional -- Just looking 0 0%
Professional -- Started training, Driving, Or have driven 11 61.11%
Other -- Just looking 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Bush Bunny wrote:
I have no regrets but the only think I haven't figured out is if I have an appointment why can't the shipper or receiver keep it?

Oh, dear..... I'll bet you're pulling a refer, aren't you... You know.. Those people stay awake nights trying to figure out new ways to screw over a driver, don't you?

Old 02-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I got my CDL B when I was 18. I applied to the same company my dad drive a concrete mixer truck for. They hired me on to run heavy equipment for an asphalt plant so I wasn't actually using my CDL. I was there about 8 months then I got a job delivering roofing and siding materials. I usually delivered bundles of shingles with a roof top conveyor. That job wasn't very nice on my back so I left after less than a year for a job delivering commercial turf and irrigation equipment for golf courses and schools over most of New York. Most of the time I was moving new equipment and used equipment bringing it in for service then taking it back to the customer. I started out in a rollback straight truck then moved onto a tractor trailer within the company. I left there after 3 years. I actually really miss that job. It was a great local job and I had lots of freedom and trust. I currently run over the road with Marten and have been with them for about a year and a half now. I do look back and wonder if I should have went to college and all that stuff but I'm pleased with how everything has worked out so far.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:28 PM

Well, I was a lost puppy when I got out of high school. Nobody really sat me down and talked about my options with me so I went to the only place that seemed to want me at the time...the Marine Corps. I retire in August. I spent my first 6 years in communications and my last 14 have been in retail (yes, it's a real job in the Corps :P). I've done two tours in the Middle East and that was more than enough for me.

I start my CDL school on Monday and plan on starting to drive for a decent company (still researching that) shortly after my retirement from the USMC.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Senior Board Member

I came from the Military was in the special forces during Somalia.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Board Regular

After high school I joined the military spent 5 years on active duty. Joined the Army National Guard and have been there since... Just racked up 22 years. Went to work for a corporation in Blythewood, SC working as a Microcomputer Engineer in 1995. Went back to school recieved my degree in business management. Have worked in telecommunications, telephone and Satellite communications. After seeing the bottom drop out of all these companies I knew it was time to make a major career change. So now I am here. I am currently in school TDI with two weeks to go. I have 5 pre hires but would only look at maybe two of them, because of the issues raised on the forum.

Like most of us newbies I wish you BOL in finding the match of you and the company.

Truck 81221

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Rookie

I've done just about everything ops: .

Started off working in a sporting goods store in high school, then a bag boy at a Safeway, then a finish carpenter, then joined the Navy for 4 years as an aviation structural tech. Got out and tried selling cars, then moved to Iowa to do carpentry, went to work at Maytag Co., got laid off, moved back to Idaho to get my degree in criminal justice, worked as a federal park ranger, then got hired by TSA as a screener supervisor. Stayed there for a couple of years, then moved back to Iowa, worked as a prison guard, then hired by Allied Insurance as a commercial services rep....Now I'm moving to Arizona to start my own dump truck business. 8)

Various other jobs I've had are propane delivery driver, building materials deliverer, DJ, feed truck driver, and painter. And I was in the Army national guard for 4 years as a combat engineer...
Old 02-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Spent 6 years in the Marine Corps, Started driving but now I am a Career Firefighter and just drive on my days off.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Rookie
Default So where did you come from?(work wise)

Started out doin' light delivery work in my own car out of high school. I was also in the Naval air reserve at that time ended up becoming a member of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht club, chasin' F4's up and down a flight deck as a plane captain. Afterward's decided to stay in Aviation and acquired my A&P certificate and have been in that field for the last 30 yrs or so. Last employer decided not to bargain in good faith so we walked out in aug of last year. I started training for my CDL at the end of October and now have only three weeks left of schooling. Looking forward to getting out on the road with a good company. Any suggestion's as to a good company will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:58 PM

32 years as a copier field technician ( I used to get paid to drive around-over half a million city miles- and fix photocopiers)...too many take-overs and layoffs sent me towards trucking.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member

I noticed after I posted the poll that I did not include a line for Other - in training .....

If someone can tell me how to add it I will.