User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hey guys and gals, help me out with some figuring here.

Hi all!

Well, it may be possible that I might be moving to San Francisco, depending on if I get a job i've applied for. I'm in St. Louis right now.
I have a bedroom full of furniture, and approximately one whole room's worth of other furniture that is in storage or use. couch, coffee table, microwave, birdcage and stand, bookshelf, etc.

I'm going for this job because it makes quite a bit more than my Lowe's Home Improvement job, and I do have friends on both sides that will be doing the packing and unpacking with me. So no labor is involved for a driver. While I don't know if I got this job yet, I'm trying to figure out costs and everything, which is where I need some help from owner/operators who know their pricing pretty well.

1. I am willing to move when a o/o driver is going that way anyway, or is going nearby anyway.
2. I am happy to wait for my items, should the driver need to make a few stops before getting to Cali. I would be willing to put in a "wall" behind my stuff so a shipper does not accidentally unload my stuff.
3. I will be super-packing everything and none of my stuff that will be going on the truck, is worth so much money that insurance is needing to cover it. If it breaks, oh well, I'll fix it. I'm the handy sort.
4. I am loading/unloading everything. All I need is the truck and driver. I will be driving behind you the entire way, stopping where you do, etc. I have a CB radio for communication.

Okay...it's around 2100 miles from here to Cali. I can pay up to $800 for everything, but cannot do anything more than that and it would help me out greatly if it was less than that. My storage needs have been calculated around 8 linear feet of truck space (from the back wall).

WITH a driver loading other stuff onto his truck after mine, and the amount of feet I need, and no extra work necessary on the driver's part (loading, going far out of the way...), would this cargo of mine be able to get to California from here for less than $800?
And THEORETICALLY, should the opportunity come up for you o/o's out there, the price is okay and you have another smaller load going there anyway, would you be willing to do it?
Old 11-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Senior Board Member

You might have to bump the rate a little. $800 is a little low for what you describe as 2,000-4,000 lbs. I'd need to know exactly what you have to give advice on a good deal. Despite your labor, the driver is most likely going to load it once it gets to the truck to save space. Also, finding a driver to take a load from a stranger "under the radar" poses a risk in itself :wink:

I'm a HHG owner opertor, and that is My .02. The Rev and Teal95KW may have additional insight. If I were to do this speaking 100% (theoretically) I wouldn't touch it for $800. The extra stop alone for a paying customer pays me $200.

List what ya got, when ya need to go. Also, check out U-ship. but remember, you get what you pay for, so buyer beware :x :wink:
Old 11-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Board Icon

I've got a 2000 lb shipment on my trailer right now that is going from Oregon to Indianapolis, and it is paying me around $1700 (my cut after my company takes theirs). That was a sofa, a chair, a TV, and a bunch of boxes.

Good luck finding someone with moving pads to do it for $800. I doubt you will. Just sayin'.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Senior Board Member

They're right, that wouldn't even pay for fuel. Have you tried contacting U-haul? That might be a good option. I still don't think you could do it for that cheap.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Uhaul will be in excess of $1500 for the rental. My buddy was quoted $1000 for Chicago-KC (500 miles).

The truck will get tied up and possibly lose a day in CA, thats why it has to be a slightly higher rate.

Does this load/unload in an easy spot for a 53ft van to access?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:52 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
I've got a 2000 lb shipment on my trailer right now that is going from Oregon to Indianapolis, and it is paying me around $1700 (my cut after my company takes theirs). That was a sofa, a chair, a TV, and a bunch of boxes.

Good luck finding someone with moving pads to do it for $800. I doubt you will. Just sayin'.
damn-Where do you come up with those Avatars? :P
Old 11-26-2006, 03:16 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
damn-Where do you come up with those Avatars? :P
I have an extensive photo collection on my computer. Some are stolen, some are made by me. Here's another one I am using on a different message board right now:

Old 11-26-2006, 04:26 AM

The list of stuff I need to take was listed in the first paragrah, actually...

but yeah, you at least gave me an answer: that being "probably not". Which is okay, I'm just exploring EVERY OPTION available, as I want to be ready to move if the company hires me on and says "We need you in 1 month". I want to explore every option, get the best price, etc. I'm also looking at rooms and things as well, to be knowledgeable and knowing what I'm getting into!
Well, this is what I get for working at Lowe's....no savings, no money. I've been doing odd jobs on the side, painting and the like, but if I get this job and they need me soon, I'm gonna be borrowing quite a pretty penny from my parents...

But anyway, thanks for the info! Looks like that rental truck is the way to go. Either that or seeing how much my Saturn can tow!
Old 11-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Might be worthwhile to sell all the big stuff. I'm sure you can find similar stuff for similar prices wherever you're going.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:33 PM

Fraid that's not an option.
I built my desk, my couch was cheap but great quality so I want to keep it cause I'll never find a deal like that, and my bed was the same way. Most of the stuff i own is good quality and I got it for super cheap, and it was clearance stuff so I will not be able to get it again.
Thankfully a lot of stuff breaks down for easy storage and transport (another plus of the stuff I have).
I'm thinking of getting a uhaul hitch and renting a 4x8 for the back of my car, and towing only the furniture and my necessities, then flying back from time to time to get more stuff.