User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Parenting

Well a milestone was passed Sat. my middle boy 15, who I had when I was 19, went on an over night trip with a group of people (girls). It hurt, I was sick over it, but my husband was all ..... you went on over night trips.... blah blah. Duh I ended up a mom at 16 (my oldest).

My only assurance was that I spoke to the families that were going, praying my son comes home, safe and childless. First I'm too young to be a grandma and second and most important I don't want the hard life I had for my kids.

I almost freaked out when they arrived to pick him up it was carvan of teenagers. Hopefully I scared the sh!!t out of them. I took pictures of them all and their cars, stop short of threatening the kids but I threatened my own son," Don't make me go to prison for hurting you, behave!"

My oldest is 18 lives at home, decent for the most part well behaved, works hard but has one foot out the door. I hurts bad that my middle baby is soon to follow. I have my youngest 11 almost 12... I love them, they've been my life for majority of my life.

No responses are needed just sharing. Parenting is a blessing of extremes with so many emotions. My husband says I'm being dramatic, I can't help it, they're my boys!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 AM
Board Icon
Default An unsolicited (not needed) response...

Wow. I knew you were young, but not 34 young! It takes a brave woman to admit (or relate) that she had her first son at 16. You have always earned/deserved my respect here on CAD, but... even more so now.

Like you said... that must have been a hard life (so far.) But, it sounds like it has been rewarding. Your love of family has shown thru in every post you've made. Your love of God has been just as evident, and I respect you for it.

If you've brought your sons up well... as I'm SURE you have... you may not have so much to fear. I was a 15 yr old boy once. I can assure you that they are not ALL "sexual animals." Many of us (at that age) are awkward, insecure, and shy. Sex is not so much on our minds. Acceptance is. I'm pretty sure that young boys today know MORE than I did back then about the consequences of "getting ahead of yourself."

At 16, I went on a two week (church) youth group choir trip. I had my eye on one of the young ladies, but... I wouldn't have known what to do if I had BEEN alone with her in a motel room. Oh, wait... I WAS! And nothing happened!

The best check on raging hormones is an under-developed mind!

But, you have to accept that things will happen as they will... by God's plan or not. And we all have to deal with it.

YOU seem to have dealt really well with the life you were "dealt." You can't live your son's lives for them. Your job is to "accept" their lives as THEY choose to live them.

I just got off the phone with my mother. I still remember the night I told her (and my Dad) that they had been grandparents for nearly a year. Of course... I was about 24 at the time. They immediately adapted better than I did!

You are a good person/woman/mother Sharlie. I can't believe that your sons are not armed with intelligence and parental guidance. Nothing "I" say will keep you from being worried... but, I believe things will be okay.

I remember the first night I took the wheel of my 18 wheeler, in the mountains of Tennessee, and the "white knuckle" response as 80k pounds of freight pushed me around the curves on a downhill. Somehow, I feel that is what you are feeling right now.

Good news is that I didn't lose control, or wreck the truck. In a very short time, I got the FEEL of it.

I'm pretty sure your son(s) will do the same.

Thank you for sharing... and letting ME share (even if unsolicited.)

I really don't know much about parenting. I guess I was "spared" that part of life. But, I can just about guarantee you that, when you are an old woman and a grandmother, You won't care as much about how you GOT there... as you will that you "GOT" there!

I suppose you are right. Parenting IS a blessing. In most cases... the positives outweigh the negatives.

Count your blessings... and relax.

You don't want to KNOW the alternative.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.