User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The Family Films of 2009

Of course, "family film" usually translates into "kiddie film," with the parents and older siblings left to grit their teeth and endure while the tykes laugh at the singing chipmunks. Rare is the film that is truly entertaining for the entire family -- which is why I'm always excited about a new Pixar project, since they're the only ones who pull it off regularly.

Pixar's Up (due May 29) is this year's entry, and there's no reason to suspect it will be any less admirable than the company's previous work. Coraline (Feb. 6), from the director of Nightmare Before Christmas, looks like it could be an imaginatively macabre treat for grown-ups and kids. There's also a Harry Potter movie due in July, though that series becomes darker and less kid-oriented as it progresses, so you might want to leave certain younger family members at home.

Here's as complete a list as I can muster for what family-oriented flicks are coming in 2009, including live-action, animation, and whatever the Jonas Brothers are.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:01 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Um...2009 is over in a couple of weeks. Did you try posting this back in May and your browser just now power through this posting? :rofl:

But on the subject...Harry Potter 6 was PG, not PG-13....it was the first PG movie of the franchise. It was an OK movie, but it was very tame compared to the others, even the first one. I truly believe that you cannot do Harry Potter justice with a PG movie and in no way will they be able to do the Deathly Hallows movies as PG fare and pull it off successfully.

Rowling wrote the first book for kids, but by the time she was into 5, 6, and 7, she was writing for adults. They are much more intensive and much darker. The movies have gotten that way, too, doing a good job of keeping with Rowling's vision. The fifth one was phenominal and while I liked #6, I think they took a step back on screen. I believe the same director that did #6 is doing the final two movies. I really hope he cranks it up a notch or two.

I took the whole family to see UP in theatres this year. By far, it's the best Pixar flick yet. But I have also seen the trailers to Toy Story 3, coming out next year and that looks positively hilarious. Pixar knows how to do it, no doubt.