User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default In Memory of my Brother

Army veteran James White poses with wife, Tamara, and 4-month-old son, James Layne. White has numerous decorations from his service in places like Somalia and Kosovo. (Charles W. Johnson photo)

My brother died March 13, 2004. He was 33 Years old. His widow died of an accidental overdose Feb. 2007. We haven't been allowed to see my nephew since then. He's now 5.

After two military stints, White faces fight of his life

By CHARLES W. JOHNSON / News Editor for the Southern Standard

Risking one’s life for ones country is something American soldiers accept as part of their job, even more, as their duty. They know full well when they are called into battle there is always the chance they will make the ultimate sacrifice.

McMinnville resident James White knows that first-hand after two stints in the military, where he was involved in several missions overseas. White says his military service has a special place in his heart, and he has the decorations to illustrate his dedication, including the Army Service Ribbon, National Defense Ribbon, Kosovo Campaign Ribbon, NATO Service Ribbon, Somalia Campaign Ribbon, the Bronze Star, and both U.S. and British Jump Wings.

”I’ve always felt being a soldier is probably one of the most honorable things you can do,” White said, though he admits there are sacrifices. “You give up a lot of your own freedoms for the citizens of the United States. A soldier has less freedom than probably any other citizen.”

White met his wife, Tamara, while he was stationed at Fort Campbell, and since her family lives here in Warren County, the couple settled here.

Tamara, who is ex-military as well, having served in the Navy, said the couple met shortly after she got out of the Navy. They now have a 4-month-old baby, James Layne.

Things seemed to be going along pretty well, until the couple was dealt a sudden and particularly hard blow when James found out this April he has a rare form of lung cancer, called adenocarcinoma with malignant pleural effusion. He feels it may have been a result of his deployment in Kosovo.

Much of the bombing that occurred in the region was done with depleted uranium, and the Whites discovered in their research that exposure to this material has been linked to this type of cancer.
“There have been several servicemen who have died from this exact same cancer,” White said. The couple advises any serviceman or woman who served in the area to have themselves checked for this disease, which usually occurs in the elderly. “Please include this in your story,” White said, ”If it just saved one life, that would be great.”

White is currently undergoing chemotherapy for his condition, and has good days and bad days, he said. One might think he would be bitter, considering his situation, but he says that’s not the case.

”When you go into the military,” he said, “whether you go for college money, whether you go out of patriotism, whatever your reason, you know there’s a chance it could cost you your life. You never think it could be like this, though, that you could end up with something like lung cancer because of a deployment. But it’s a risk you willingly take.”

”I don’t regret it at all,” he said. “I’m proud of my service and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

White also said, having been a soldier, Independence Day has special meaning for him. ”I think about all of the men and women who gave their lives for this country to be free and to be independent.”

White says he had always planned to serve in the armed forces, where he had intended to become a fifth-generation Marine. ”They couldn’t guarantee me jump school, so I signed up for the Army instead,” he said. “I got deployed to Somalia in 1993, then got out in 1994.”

After being out for over six years, White decided to go back in as a combat engineer in 2000.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Board Regular

Sorry to hear this Reb.........I'll keep your brother in my prayers.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks Jay.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Reb this breaks my heart to hear of your loss. At such a young age and with his wife not to long after ..... I know their both together in heaven, my concerns are with their baby now. I hope your family will be able to have visitation in the future. What a loss that would be for the baby not to know the love your family could give it. I'll keep you and yours in my thought and prayers for sure.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 03-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by for4roses
Reb this breaks my heart to hear of your loss. At such a young age and with his wife not to long after ..... I know their both together in heaven, my concerns are with their baby now. I hope your family will be able to have visitation in the future. What a loss that would be for the baby not to know the love your family could give it. I'll keep you and yours in my thought and prayers for sure.
Thank you Roses. I miss him so much sometimes. He was the baby and the only boy. I was 12 when he was born and took him with me when I got married and left home. He was very smart and a real practical joker. My nephew looks just like him and already had a lot of his personality traits last time I saw him. He's a clown, just like his Dad was.

Things happen for a reason, don't always know what the reason is at the time, but it will show itself eventually.

Reb

P.S. How's your hand doing?

Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Senior Board Member

hugs Reb ....
My hand is healing nicely thank you. There will be 2 more scares thou on that hand, but that's minor as long it helps me regain the strength I need. ... :wink: thanks for asking

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 03-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Prayers out to you Reb.

Glad to hear your doing better Roses.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
”When you go into the military,” he said, “whether you go for college money, whether you go out of patriotism, whatever your reason, you know there’s a chance it could cost you your life. You never think it could be like this, though, that you could end up with something like lung cancer because of a deployment. But it’s a risk you willingly take.”
Sage words by a brave young man! Bravery is often bestowed only on those who die in battle. But, of all the sacrifices made by our military these days, one that is often lost on us is the CHOICE that is made to even PUT oneself in harm's way.

A SALUTE to your brother, Reb!! He showed in MANY ways what it takes to be a MAN! [no offense intended to women! I might have said "patriot" but he was a male. His choice was to be what he was..... a MAN.]

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Sage words by a brave young man! Bravery is often bestowed only on those who die in battle. But, of all the sacrifices made by our military these days, one that is often lost on us is the CHOICE that is made to even PUT oneself in harm's way.

A SALUTE to your brother, Reb!! He showed in MANY ways what it takes to be a MAN! [no offense intended to women! I might have said "patriot" but he was a male. His choice was to be what he was..... a MAN.]
Thank you, that means a lot to me. He turned out pretty good for growing up in a house full of women. :lol:

Abraham Lincoln