User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2021, 03:32 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wot i life View Post
Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy, come in, over!

I say, rather, well hello old bean. Frightfully good of you to invite us all here today .

I haven't driven a truck now for over 12 years. Lord only knows how I would get on with an old Eton twin split gearbox now ha ha ...
And I'd probably drop trailer off for swap-over and not put landing legs down...Oh, hold on, that's WHAT I used to do anyway :-) ...."Whadya mean, the legs aint down? Just put them on slow wind and put your back into it, yer lazy bastard. What's that? Is this in revenge for watching me put those tarpaulin sheets on that load last Winter when it was blowing a gale? Now ask yourself, would I do that?"...

Great to hear from you, Hog.

Get the kettle on, let's have a brew of TEA old boy
Got a pot of water on, and coffee.... New flavor though. Toffee.... English Toffee, that is.
Can you match that with your tea?

Good to know, COVID hasn't gotten you. I sincerely hope you and yours are all well.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:35 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Got a pot of water on, and coffee.... New flavor though. Toffee.... English Toffee, that is.
Can you match that with your tea?

Good to know, COVID hasn't gotten you. I sincerely hope you and yours are all well.
Arrrrrrh! settle down now me Mate's... lets not start another Brew War!
Garrrrrrrrh... Narrrrrrh Narrrrrh! .... Harrrrrrh Harrrrrh!

Brace yourself Windy.... and I hope your chair has arm rests.... Wot has had a come to Jesus moment, and now drinks coffee over tea.
........... Wot?

I say..... old bean.... yes Java .... Covfefe ........... He told me right out of the blue, and my face hit the waste basket, as my jaw dropped.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:53 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
I was just wondering about you,
FREDOG!! ... no need to worry about me, yer SAFE.

Howdy old pard! So glad you stopped by to say hello! I often think about you and was hoping you are doing good.
Got ahold of our friend Robertt, and was hoping he would stop by too! He just went through covid and finally is coming out of it, but it was tough.
I hope when he feels better he comes by too.

I have Twilights first novel "Book 1 of The Krypteia Conspiracy: Hade's Gambit" sits on my shelf, and every time I see it, I'm reminded of him.... almost daily.
He is the only one here who has very good reason to worry about me. Long as my unnatural insane obsession with Shania continues, I simply don't have the time to chase him.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Board Icon

I should be spanked with a small wooden paddle.

Last edited by Roadhog; 10-13-2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:25 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
One of the things I've been curious about is, how has COVID affected the industry. And how many drivers did it remove? I'm quite sure there have been victims, but I've seen no stats.
Having been in the industry for 20+ years now on the other side of the wall, I can tell you that no one has seen anything like what we are dealing with today. It wasn't so much COVID itself that did it, although I'm sure there were some permanent losses because of it. However, it was our government's response to it. That extra unemployment bonus drove a lot of drivers out of the industry. Hard to argue with a guy that says he's getting $1500 to $1800+ per week from the government to do nothing, so why work?

Pay has skyrocketed and even that's not enough to draw drivers in. $.60 CPM is low now. Lots of companies are over $.70 CPM for regional company driver runs; more for long haul. Local company runs that used to pay $40K to $50K a year are paying upwards of $80K or better. Regional and OTR; many are well over $100K. O/O's on pct. pay are grossing $500K or better a year. The old guard is retiring and the new guard...well, they're not much of a guard. Companies are desperate. I was at a conference a couple weeks ago and at that point, there were almost 8 loads available PER truck in North America. And that's not including all the cargo ships sitting off the ports everywhere because of the lack of crane operators and longshoreman. This is literally the time to build retirements in the industry, especially if you have or can get your own truck; problem is, the younger generation doesn't see that.

So Windy, right now the industry is in shambles. Personally, I think the only thing that is going to ultimately save it is automated fleets, reducing most driving to local LTL. But that'll be past my expiration date.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:28 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I have Twilights first novel "Book 1 of The Krypteia Conspiracy: Hade's Gambit" sits on my shelf, and every time I see it, I'm reminded of him.... almost daily.
He is the only one here who has very good reason to worry about me. Long as my unnatural insane obsession with Shania continues, I simply don't have the time to chase him.
I saw an article about Shania's latest concert. She was looking mighty fine.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:50 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
In May of 2020, I ran a hundred yard dash (No, I did not break any records.) I crossed the finish line 4th out of 5, but my oldest competitor was 42, and I turn 76 the beginning of next year. August of 2020, I beat COVID. But it did do some damage. No, I'm not ready for a rematch on that hundred yard dash. Working on it though.
You are doing fantastic Windy!
If I get to your neck of the woods, I'd race you, if we can do that 100, 10 yards at a time, and take a little breather.

I'm still a little frisky... I'm sure I could chase after Shania like a Mt. Gorilla on all fours, and pounding my chest for attention, if she refuses to look my way.
But outside of that, I try not to get out of a chair too fast.

I don't know how William Shatner at age 90, was able to ride a rocket into space today! God Bless him, eh?
What about George Takei? Well, I'm sure he was Up for it. They just didn't think he would ride the rocket from inside.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:19 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm the happy owner of Streetglide myself, my son finished his stint in the Marines and bought a house 4 miles from us. he has VTX1300, so I have somebody to ride with, also have a 5 year old Grandson who is lot of fun
Old 10-14-2021, 10:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Golf Hobo

forgot to tell you guys, Golf Hobo passed a while back.. he had a lot of medical issues
Old 10-15-2021, 12:00 AM
Board Icon

Thanks for remembering Hobo!
He died on my birthday, so I'm going to have to ask him next time I see him, if it was something I said?

We were close friends, and I wept at the news, and learned it from you, through a post you made here. I was just about to email him at that time, and I miss him a lot, to this day.

We were kinda the odd couple here. I was the unkempt obnoxious but smarter one. He would only disagree with the last part.
I think I called him every name in the book over the years, but I think more good names than bad. Oddly I don't remember many of the bad names,
but when I see him again, I'm sure it will all come back to me.