Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Current Trucking Events (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/current-trucking-events-104/)
-   -   Fuel prices....thank a Republican. (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/current-trucking-events/16954-fuel-prices-thank-republican.html)

KRWOOD 04-30-2006 09:24 PM

Fuel prices....thank a Republican.

I would personally like to thank all of the people who voted for George Bush. Thank you for the high gas prices! Hopefully they double again before he leaves office. When gas finally reachs $8 to $10 a gal maybe then the american public will wake up and have an intervention for our addiction to foreign oil.

Theres many reasons why the price of oil is rising. There are two ways to begin to solve the problem.

1. An Apollo type project spearheaded by government leadership. It's a funny thought with this administration but might be possible in 2008.

2. Gas prices of $10 a gal within the next two years. Public leverage on private business and political leadership will spawn investment in alternatives.

Again...thank you George Bush and your oil cabinet! Were 1/3 of way to our goal! Keep up the great work in the New American Century!

Retirednavysnipe 04-30-2006 09:35 PM

KRWood I am sorry to say you are way off track on your estimates of high fuel prices.

There are many variables that cause hi oil prices but the First and Foremost is:

Supply and Demand.

If you look at who is buying the most oil you will find China is leading the charge is buying in massive bulk. That in turn raises demands and lowers Supply. China is willing to purchase at premium price and give it to their population at lower prices.

Having personal knowledge of the oil that is in the US we could pull enough oil out of the Williston Basin in North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana to keep us oil dependent for over 100 years. But with enviormental blockades put on by our own government and the taxes that are levyed it is no longer cost efficient.

We have enough oil and knowledge to keep prices low, but ask the Government to suspend all the silly EPA rules and give tax breaks for alternative fuels and our problem would be solved.

Aligator 04-30-2006 09:38 PM

Fact is, fuel was higher during the Carter years; 4.50/gal in 2006 dollars.

Your job - thank a Republican.

yoopr 04-30-2006 09:44 PM

why start another thread on Fuel when we already have one going?
You're dilusional
and has been stated China has gone from a Farming economy to an Industrialized Economy which has put a huge drain on Oil.
You list 2 ways to change things but I didn't see any ideas.

Ardmore Farms Forever 04-30-2006 09:55 PM

Re: Fuel prices....thank a Republican.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRWOOD
I would personally like to thank all of the people who voted for George Bush.

Your welcome...........I would have voted for Johnny "Four Months" Kerry (did you know, he served in Vietnam?).........but, I think more of my country and I am certainly NOT that stupid.

Quote:

Hopefully they double again before he leaves office.

I hope so to............then we can have a Congressional Investigation on these so-called "Enviormentalist Groups" who have kept us from drilling and exploration here at home.

Quote:

When gas finally reachs $8 to $10 a gal maybe then the american public will wake up and have an intervention for our addiction to foreign oil.

See above

Quote:

Theres many reasons why the price of oil is rising.

Since you have all the answers, how about giving us a brief explanation on WHY "Oil" prices have risen so drastically in the past few years.

Quote:

There are two ways to begin to solve the problem. Either on works.

1. An Apollo type project spearheaded by government leadership.

That in itself is a joke..........GOVERNMENT leadership.............what planet are you living on?

Quote:

Gas prices of $10 a gal within the next two years. Public leverage on private business and political leadership will spawn investment in alternatives.

I will agree 100% with the private sector solving the problem...........with the government on the side-lines.

So, I can assume, you DIDN'T vote or campaign for George W. Bush?:lol: :lol: :lol:

KRWOOD...............just to show you I'm an "Equal Opportunity" offender............I'm a LIFE-LONG Democrat.

Not bad, coming from a guy who is promoting a "get rich quick" business opportunity on his signature line. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

THIS "NO" QUOTE FEATURE........IS STARTING TO GET ON MY NERVES........... :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

mattocs 04-30-2006 10:07 PM

Gah...I don't think it is Bush's fault for high gas prices, as I don't think he was at fault durring the hurricanes. I am sure there is SOMETHING that he could do...but if it could only lower gas prices by a few cents per gallon it may not be worth it. We need to stop relying on fossil fuel...that is the only solution.

KRWOOD 04-30-2006 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retirednavysnipe
KRWood I am sorry to say you are way off track on your estimates of high fuel prices.

There are many variables that cause hi oil prices but the First and Foremost is:

Supply and Demand.

If you look at who is buying the most oil you will find China is leading the charge is buying in massive bulk. That in turn raises demands and lowers Supply. China is willing to purchase at premium price and give it to their population at lower prices.

Having personal knowledge of the oil that is in the US we could pull enough oil out of the Williston Basin in North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana to keep us oil dependent for over 100 years. But with enviormental blockades put on by our own government and the taxes that are levyed it is no longer cost efficient.

We have enough oil and knowledge to keep prices low, but ask the Government to suspend all the silly EPA rules and give tax breaks for alternative fuels and our problem would be solved.

I never stated what I think causes high gas prices! "Theres many reasons why the price of oil is rising."

If your right and there is enough oil in the US to supply 100 years. What would be the price of this oil? Market price? Where is the savings?

If the government suspended all regulations....why would oil companys floud the market with all of this oil only to lower the price? Sounds like bad business if I was a stock holder.

We are addicted to oil! The oil companys are the pusher and the government is a cop taking a skim for looking the other way.

The road to change is admiting we have a problem or an external event to force us to change. So I applaud the Republicans that run our government for creating an enironment for $4 gal gas. You know the Republicans that pass and keep all of these environmental laws on the books.

By the way I did not vote for these God Dam....tree hugging, earth loving hippie, Republicans! But I will next time! Hecka of a job boys!

Ardmore Farms Forever 04-30-2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

By the way I did not vote for these God Dam....tree hugging, earth loving hippie, Republicans! But I will next time! Hecka of a job boys!

KRWOOD...........I have too admit......you have a way with words. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Instead of driving those EVIL "Fossil Fuel" tractor-trailers.......maybe we can all become "Rickshaw Coolies"and FINALLY get off the dependence on "Big Bad Oil".http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...x-Rickshaw.jpg
Nevermind.......I think the "Republicans" are involved in the "Rickshaw Coolie" industry........and just waiting to exploit the "WORKING MAN" (Union word, they love using that word)...........and George W. Bush and family are in charge of the "Big Rickshaw Coolie" industry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless
First, we could begin with hemp ........there are plenty of places to grow it,

Yea..........I use to grow it years ago...........those "Hippies" still talk about how good it was..........sold it for over $100.00 per oz or as we called it, a "LID"............but, never made any "Oil" out of it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Useless 04-30-2006 10:27 PM

Hempoline??

The answers are not nearly as dificult as people make them out to be.

First, we could begin with hemp oil, which was used before. It's clean, it's replenishable, there are plenty of places to grow it, there are no environmental consequences to developing it, and no, you won't get high off of the fumes!! 8)

Of course, there would be no cartel to control it, and Bush's Buddies wouldn't get rich, so thee is probebly no chance in hell of it happening!! BTW, if you think the Democrats are any more trustworthy when it comes to energy policy, (as if we even HAVE an energy policy!!), then you have probably been breathing too many diesel fumes!!

Useless

greenhornpeon 04-30-2006 10:28 PM

Oil

Maybe it's bigger than political differences-
could be geological:
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/Index.html
Scary stuff- even if only a little true

Bisquit 04-30-2006 10:32 PM

I shudder to think what this country would be like if we let the DEMS do everything they wanna do. Socialization is what they want basically. I think this next Presidential election will be a golden opportunity for some independent candidate to really get his message accross. Start with shutting down the borders, Authorize the building of new refineries, get the US out of the UN, quit pussyfooting around in the middle east and turn the whole sumbitch into a huge parking lot, I could go on and if anyone runs on this kind of platform he?she will definately get my vote.

I see Newt Ginrich(sp) starting to feel his way around and expect to see him on the ballot, John Mcain is also gonna be there anyone else come to mind...
I don't think Hillary can even run...

She's already served 2 terms LOL.................Don

KRWOOD 04-30-2006 10:33 PM

The problem is not the price of oil or supply and demand. I really do appreciate high gas prices. I look forward to the coming increases.

The problem is our how vulnerable we are by our economy being dependent on oil.

Occasionally there's a post about lot lizards. Many of us judge them for their lifestyle and what they do to feed their addictions. How are we any different when it comes to our addiction to oil?

Somebody has to stop the GOP with their environmental agenda before this country is owned by china.

Useless 04-30-2006 10:33 PM

Re: Oil

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhornpeon

Maybe it's bigger than political differences-
could be geological:
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/Index.html
Scary stuff- even if only a little true

A good point raised here. It is important to understand that there is no real "shortage" of oil. When I was a child, we were supposed to run out of oil in the mid 1970's. By 1970, it was the year 2000. Having said that, the demand for it will continue to increase as China continues to develop, and there will always be political forces, both foreign and domestic, that will affect the price.

The truth be told, fossil fuels could well be on their way to general obsolescence if we began developing alternative fuel sources.

yoopr 04-30-2006 10:40 PM

GOP and "Their" Environmental Policies? what the hell are you smoking?

KRWOOD 04-30-2006 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr

The other thread "Fuel prices...thank a environmentalist" inspired me to start this one. If high fuel prices are caused by environmental policy then the republicans that control the house and senate are to blame.

Republicans=environmental policy=high fuel prices.

Sorry for the edit .....I had to clarify.

ben45750 04-30-2006 10:55 PM

KRWOOD..... are you that stupid???

Tree hugging, earth loving hippie Republicans????? Thats the other party there, the Democrats.

Thank Bill Clinton for sending all the jobs over seas, Thank bill Clinton for China owning everything not Bush.

I'm sorry but you just showed your stupidity to every educated person on this board and I thinks it "hillarious"!!!!!

ben45750 04-30-2006 10:57 PM

Quote:

Fuel Prices...thank a environmentalist= thank a rebublican.
:withstupid:

yoopr 04-30-2006 10:57 PM

Kinda dumfounded myself :P

One 04-30-2006 10:58 PM

First of all, blaming it on one group alone is not right and most certainly not the most correct. BUT I have to agree with the thread title just because it contradicts another thread that equally blames just one group!

There are a lot of factors involved and the White house's poilcy is to let market forces dictate the push for alternate fuels. The white house thinks that we are stupid enough not to realize that they (all oil- men) had no idea it would come to this and that they do not profit. :lol:
A lot of things could have been done, and most lof them should have been done YEARS ago.
Public transportation including high speed trains are not an option for commuters...e.g a 'bullet' train going from houston to austin and San Antone, Tx ( i believe) were discussed some years ago and struck down due to resistance from the oil and airline industry. travel times would have been greatly reduced between the cities...
Alternate fuels- the technology is available, and has been for years! Why is it not used widely in this country??? LOTS of reasons, mostly related to cost- gas was still the cheaper option.
Demand- E.G CHINA- Traditional mode of transportation: Buses, trains, bikes and feet! Then someone realized: Doode, what a market for cars! and there we go. IRRESPONSIBLE GREED of big corportations and lack of oversight and planning by Govts. is THE big reason why we now pay what we pay :!:

Theres no magic bullet, no drilling in places we had sought to spare will solve the problem, just defer it!!! the habits of consumers must be changed, with the help of the Govt. :!: :!:

Useless 04-30-2006 11:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr

Exactly! Environmental policy=government=rebuplicans! Thank a Republican for their environmental policy that causd these high fuel prices.

Fuel Prices...thank a environmentalist= thank a rebublican.

When gasoline shot up from about $.80 cents per gallon to about $1.25 per gallon in the late 90's no one "Thanked Bill Clinton"!! Go back to the late 70's when Jimmy Carter was in office, and we had the long gas lines!!
Was that also the Republican's fault!! Don't get me wrong, I don't like Bush or the Republicans anymore than you do, but taking political pot shots isn't going to solve anything, and thinking that the Democrats are any more trustworthy is to live in a Fool's Paradise!!

Adam9315 04-30-2006 11:05 PM

You all need to learn how to quote properly. It is annoying.

Useless 04-30-2006 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam9315

You all need to learn how to quote properly. It is annoying.

On that last one, Adam, I really wasn't too concerned with who was quoting whom!! The argument itself is so fallacious that it should implode due to it's inadequacy!! Pointing fingers isn't going to solve anything... there is more than enough dirt on the hands of leaders from both political parties!!

KRWOOD 04-30-2006 11:12 PM

I edited my post. I had to more better clarify.

By the way...I don't like the Democrats. I don't think they would be as effecient of raising fuel prices as the Republicans have.

I don't get it. The same people who blame environmental policy for high fuel prices support the republicans. The republicans are in power and control the environmental policy that is supposable causing high fuel prices.

GMAN 04-30-2006 11:13 PM

KRWOOD, from what I have seen, to put government and leadership in the same sentence is a contradiction in terms. :P

We do not have an oil shortage. A couple of year ago I heard an interview with the CEO of BP (I believe) and he stated that the largest oil reserves on earth were thought to be off the Gulf of Mexico. It isn't a problem of shortage. It is a matter of governmental interference. Environmental regulations and requirements have virtually crippled a number of industries. There comes a time when the cost of doing business in the U.S. is simply not worth it. It becomes less costly and much less of a hassle to import oil than drill more wells. Of course, companies are drilling new wells as quickly as they can in parts of Oklahoma and Texas. Government just needs to get out of the way.

There has never been innovation in our government. Innovation comes from industry. Government doesn't produce anything but more regulations. One man cannot control every event that happens in the world. George Bush has done some things in which I disagree, but he is not responsible for the global rise in fuel prices. And since he is also not omnipotent, he didn't cause Katrina, either. :P You have a number of elected officials in both parties who don't want to deal with reality and put a comprehensive energy policy into effect. There is a lot of rhetoric by those in government, but I have yet to see any leadership. A leader doesn't need to take a poll to see what he should do. He already knows and leads by example. He knows what is right and follows through on what he knows he should do regardless of polls or critics. 8)

I think that there is collusion and price fixing going on. The primary reason for the existance for OPEC is to manipulate world oil prices.

KRWOOD 04-30-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
It isn't a problem of shortage. It is a matter of governmental interference. Environmental regulations and requirements have virtually crippled a number of industries. There comes a time when the cost of doing business in the U.S. is simply not worth it. It becomes less costly and much less of a hassle to import oil than drill more wells.

Environmental regulations=republicans. The republicans have majority in government.

Duh! Thats why I thanked them!

One 04-30-2006 11:18 PM

A report in the news said oil companies were asking gas stations to sell as cheap as they could to keep the volume up :!: :!: :!:

Useless 04-30-2006 11:23 PM

Quote:

We do not have an oil shortage. A couple of year ago I heard an interview with the CEO of BP (I believe) and he stated that the largest oil reserves on earth were thought to be off the Gulf of Mexico.

There really is no "Thought to be" about it!! Satellite imagery and technology indicates that It IS the largest known reserve. The problem is the depth that we will have to drill to get to it; it isn't that we lack the technology, it is a matter of economic viability due to the depth that it would have to be drilled, and our lack of refinery capacity. Crude oil supply is only half the equation, Refining it is quite another.

It isn't a problem of shortage.

I think that there is collusion and price fixing going on. The primary reason for the existence for OPEC is to manipulate world oil prices.

Agree 100% here!!

ben45750 04-30-2006 11:24 PM

Quote:

I think that there is collusion and price fixing going on. The primary reason for the existance for OPEC is to manipulate world oil prices.
100% accurate, hit it right on the nose!!!!!

ben45750 04-30-2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Environmental regulations=republicans. The republicans have majority in government.

Name some republican besides Jeb Bush that is opposed to drilling new wells in the United States?

(Jeb Bush is opposed to drilling new well off the Flordia gulf becasue he thinks it will hurt the tourism in Flordia, has nothing to do with enviromental concerns)

GMAN 05-01-2006 12:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It isn't a problem of shortage. It is a matter of governmental interference. Environmental regulations and requirements have virtually crippled a number of industries. There comes a time when the cost of doing business in the U.S. is simply not worth it. It becomes less costly and much less of a hassle to import oil than drill more wells.

You seem confused, KRWOOD. Most of the environmental regulations we have in place today have been with us for decades. These started under Democratic rule with a Democratic majority. They have used environmental policy to have their way for many years. However, I will agree with you to some extent. There are some so called Republicans who are more liberal than the most liberal Democrats. The Republicans didn't put most of the environmental regulations on the books, but the fact that they have done little, if anything to ease or eliminate some of the inane regulations does make them culpable. Having a majority has done conservatives little good. To be effective, you have to use power. They haven't done a very effective job of using power since they have been in office. Of course, the Democrats only want to rant, rave and blame. They seem to be the party of nothingness. They stand for nothing while opposing everything. :shock:

One 05-01-2006 12:44 AM

How about instaead of ranting, blaming and raving, how about putting our heads together and having a smrt discussion on how to break our dependence on oil? No?....figures

yoopr 05-01-2006 12:45 AM

They seem to be the party of nothingness. They stand for nothing while opposing everything.

Bravo GMAN(That is until I go down to the Next thread on Fuel Costs) :P

One 05-01-2006 12:46 AM

How about insteaad of ranting, blaming and raving, how about putting our heads together and having a smart discussion on how to break our dependence on oil? No?....figures

Useless 05-01-2006 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One

How about instaead of ranting, blaming and raving, how about putting our heads together and having a smrt discussion on how to break our dependence on oil? No?....figures

I already suggested developing alternative fuel sources; that seemed to go over like a smelly fart in a crowded church !! :P

One 05-01-2006 01:06 AM

YUP, its the american way, blame everyone else for your problems, throw some bombs at 'em and never do anything to actually help your situation in the long run...A lot of bitching and moaning and not doing anything about it... Blame yourself for your own screwups!

GMAN 05-01-2006 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One
How about instead of ranting, blaming and raving, how about putting our heads together and having a smart discussion on how to break our dependence on oil? No?....figures

Well, lets discuss things that could be done. If I previously mentioned this just consider this a senior moment but may move things in a more positive direction.

A few months ago I stopped at a Love's in Midlothian, TX. I have been wanting to talk to some drivers who have been running bio-diesel. I got to talking to this driver who told me that his company has a small fleet and are refining their own fuel. According to him, it wasn't that difficult or expensive to do. A couple of years ago I read about a guy in Atlanta who had some trucks. No, they weren't class 8 but were 1/2 ton trucks with utility beds. I don't recall the business he was in or number of trucks. He is apparently refining his own fuel for his trucks in his kitchen.

Now, if these people can do this in a cost effective manner, why can't others. Imagine if some of the major trucking companies would start refining their own fuel. They might save millions. :shock: If they could just cut their fuel costs by $1/gallon they would greatly improve their bottom line and help the environment at the same time. If fuel could be refined more locally, it would not be necessary to have a huge distribution network or pipeline established. Distribution costs would be virtually eliminated. :wink: If these refineries could use corn and other renewable sources we would no longer need to worry about foreign oil supplies. If we could use some of the things we normally throw into landfills, that would solve another problem.

I read the other day that there were approximately 5MM trucks across the nation. If we could only supply 10% of these with an alternate fuel source that would save approximately 5MM gallons of fuel a day. (5MM x 10% = 500M trucks.) 500,000 trucks x 100 gallons per day = 50,000,000 gallons of fuel. At $3/gallon that is $150MM (That's million) If you could save $1/gallon on 50MM gallons of diesel you would save $50 million per day.

I could like that.......A LOT!!! :D

rjt030 05-01-2006 05:25 AM

Land+Seed+Good Growing Conditions+Fertilizer+herbicide+pesticide= Corn

large amount of energy must be spent in the process of getting seeds turned into more seeds. Then more energy must be spent getting these seeds to a facility that can turn them into biodiesel

I would like to know if biodiesel is really as efficient as diesel

One 05-01-2006 01:34 PM

Biodiesel has been used in Europe successfully for a lot of years. The research has been done long ago. Biodiesel can be made out of all kinds of stuff...Think of it like 'Back to the future III' where they throw a beercan and banana-peel into a 'Mr.Fusion' :lol:
At a trucking show, I saw a Biodiesel refinery!! A functional refinery that fits into my little office- maybe 12 ft. tall and 6 ft. wide.

Why the US is the only Industrialized nation that resists alternate fuels is suspect...But things can be done. It wont be cheap, but if we spent what we spend to kidnapp suspected terrorists in Europe, we could surely build a small Bio-refinery.

GMAN 05-01-2006 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjt030
Land+Seed+Good Growing Conditions+Fertilizer+herbicide+pesticide= Corn

large amount of energy must be spent in the process of getting seeds turned into more seeds. Then more energy must be spent getting these seeds to a facility that can turn them into biodiesel

I would like to know if biodiesel is really as efficient as diesel

From what I understand in reading and talking to some who have used biodiesel is that it burns much more efficiently and cleaner than regular diesel. I have been cautioned a couple of times to keep a couple of extra fuel filters, because biodiesel will clean everything out of your tanks and fuel lines. I have also be told that fuel mileage is somewhat better running biodiesel. I would like to try it myself. I prefer first hand knowledge concerning this type of thing. Even if mileage is the same as we now get, it would be better to use because of the reduction in use of standard fossil fuels. The only negative I have read or heard is the fuel filter thing. :D

ben45750 05-01-2006 02:16 PM

I had read an article about that, the amount of energy it takes to make bio-diesel. To grow and plant the seeds, harvest the product, create more seeds, then refine the product to make bio-diesel.

The article said it takes more energy to make bio-diesel than what energy can be created from the bio-diesel its self. If that is the case and demand is high on bio-diesel would'nt we see the prices just as high as standard diesel? And then what affect will that have on the price of gasoline?