Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Welcome to CAD ZDRIVER.

You have to practice, and it's best to have someone spot you, until you develop some skills.
One thing that will help you, is if you have a sliding tandem, slide your tandems all the way back.
That slows the rate of swing, and puts your pivot point closer to your back doors.

If you loose sight of where you are, get out and look at how you are doing.
When I first started out, I was jumping out of the truck a lot to spot myself, especially at night,
and you'd see me in the back lot of a Truck Stop, out where I was all alone, practicing.

If you can, have someone help you in the beginning, to get you started.
They can help talk you through a few times, offer you some tips as they see how you do, and where you are having problems.
Most truckers will always be happy to spot for you, and many will even offer their help, without you asking sometimes.

It's going to cause you some nerves in the beginning.
We all go through it, so be easy on yourself, and don't worry about making a mistake, that is how you learn and by practice.
Don't let anyone back your truck for you, help you yes, but don't give up the command of your ship.

Practice is the only way to get better at anything. When I first started I would hook up to an empty and practice in our terminal whenever I had a chance. I also found sliding the tandems helps. If you have access to a truck find a parking lot and practice.

There was a woman in my class that used her sons toy tractor trailer to figure out how to back. Everyone is different so figure out what works for you and put in the time. Best of luck.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin View Post
There was a woman in my class that used her sons toy tractor trailer to figure out how to back. Everyone is different so figure out what works for you and put in the time. Best of luck.
That's how I started.
I remember some wild crashes back then, and poo in my shorts.
Then there were all the excuses, of how it wasn't my fault.

You can imagine what my DAC looked like.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM

practice practice practice.....

and when I was a new driver I had no problem asking for a spotter.
most all of the truckers I approached were happy to spot for me and give me advice on where I needed improvement.

if you can find a vacant area in the far end of the truck stop practice whenever you can.
Just work on it until you are more comfortable with backing.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Board Icon

Okay, so we know that practice makes perfect. And GOAL is important and can save your azz.

Now... let's address the basics (that your school didn't bother with.)

1) Always attack your parking "spot" whether at a dock or in a truckstop at a 45% angle with a view of it out your left side window/mirror.

2) Specifically... your TRAILER should be at a 45% angle, with your cab turned a bit to the left of that (NEVER to the right.)

3) You do this by "swooping" in from the right (trucks on your left) and just after your cab passes the "hole" you turn sharply to the right (to "SET" your tandems) and then turn your cab back to the left BEFORE you get so close to the trucks facing you to have any room to maneuver. At THIS point, you should have your trailer at a 45% angle to the hole, and your cab to the left of that.

4) Though it helps, it is not necessary to set your tandems all the way back. But... (and this is important...) don't be so close to the "hole" that you don't have room for the trailer "swing" discussed above. Likewise, as I said, leave room in front of your cab to "swing it out" to move the trailer away from the "nearside" truck fender.

5) BEFORE moving backwards, (actually while setting this up) center your steer tires and make sure you have all the room I mentioned in front of your cab... and behind your back doors. Your tandems (if at normal setting for weight,) should be at least 1.5 times the "swing" of your trailer from the front fender of the nearest (left side) truck fender.

6) Use VERY small steering movements to "guide" your left tandems around the fender of said truck, and don't worry too much if you oversteer. You can always pull up and correct it. (but, make SURE you know it!)

7) As the tandems work their way past the fender, start turning OUT of the steer 'cut." I.O.W. steer AWAY from the side of the truck you are looking at to your left. [turn the wheel to the LEFT gently.]

8: If you get too close, or can't make it around the fender, pull forward and try again. If too far away... and threatening the truck on your blindside (right,) pull forward and reset your steers to get in a little closer.

Some say (and I agree) that you should consider it "driving" the trailer into the hole.

If you're "driving a nail" and it gets a bit skewed on you, you "angle" the attack of the hammer. You don't overdo it and flatten the nail out on the other side... you just "nuance" it.

IF you are bumping a dock that will REQUIRE YOU to slide your tandems to the back... you might as well do it before you start. As was said... it will make it easer.

But, if you're trying to park in a truckstop... consider my method.

It's just geometry! Set the trailer at a 45% angle. Then.... guide it to a 90% angle.

As you slide it into the hole... you should be able to see the driver directly across from you giving you the thumbs up! Which is why you need a fair amount of room IN FRONT of your cab!

Good luck.... and PRACTICE!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Board Icon

If you need to park at a Pilot, you will want to learn how to "wiggle" your trailer into a spot.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Board Icon

Pee-Lots ARE very "tight." I wouldn't want to "practice" parking in one!

Someone said earlier that reefer drivers are the best backers. Not sure why they came to that conclusion, but... I DID that for the first 3 years of my career.

But, I gotta tell ya.... my delivery at beer distributors (MUCH smaller lots) taught me more than the produce sheds did! [they were my backhauls.]
Old 12-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
If you need to park at a Pilot, you will want to learn how to "wiggle" your trailer into a spot.
If you NEED to park at a pilot? Nuff said!

Maybe we should talk "Trip management."

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
It takes practice to back a trailer. Don't be afraid to stop, set the brakes, walk back to check what is going on behind your trailer. A mistake a lot of inexperienced drivers make is over steering. If you can get a truck, find a parking lot or a industrial park where you can practice your backing. Drivers used to help one another more than today, but most will help you back into a tight spot if you ask.
This is great advice!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh

Take heart from this; when I first passed my test I was bloody awful at reversing, other drivers used to take the pish!
I eventually ended up driving STGO(Heavy Haul) all over Europe and driving and reversing on weeny little roads for built for horse and cart
Good advice above(especially from Gman)
Practice makes perfect mate, you'll get there in the end

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit