Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   A Topic About Nothing (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/5801-topic-about-nothing.html)

Doctor Who 12-14-2004 11:58 PM

A Topic About Nothing

Have at it folks!!!!

Will this meager thread go as far as the "War Between The States" parody up the page...

A parody about nothing, yes nothing which most people start with and almost all still half of it left!

Don't forget NOTHING is the topic and nothing it shall remain with the exception of the Curmudgeonly ways of a dear friend and I'm not talking about Robert D. Raeford either...

Lady18wheels 12-15-2004 12:53 AM

curmudgeon = somebody who is irritable or stubborn: a bad-tempered, disagreeable, or stubborn person ( disapproving ).
Thank goodness for MSN Dictionary

Well now. I wonder who this could be????

Doctor Who 12-15-2004 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady18wheels
curmudgeon = somebody who is irritable or stubborn: a bad-tempered, disagreeable, or stubborn person ( disapproving ).
Thank goodness for MSN Dictionary

Well now. I wonder who this could be????

Yeah I wonder but it has nothing to do with the colour BLUE either!!!

Well, then again maybe it does...

Ah NOTHING what a great subject!!!

SPONGE BOB????

Ridge Runner 12-15-2004 02:37 AM

Robert D. "Halowed(sp) be thy name" Raeford. Yes, one of my favorite. Let's get him on board!!!! :D

bluebeetle 12-15-2004 12:13 PM

Gee Doc, I was wondering how long it was going to take before we had a posting that you would be an expert on.

ronnieman49 12-15-2004 12:39 PM

Me thinks the war between Doc and Blue is fixin to commence :shock:

Twilight Flyer 12-15-2004 12:52 PM

Nothing, you say?

WASHINGTON -- The latest New York Times/CBS News poll showed that Americans oppose posts about nothing by a 71-24 margin, while 5% indicated that they want the wardrobes in Desperate Housewives and for all football cheerleaders to consist of nothing.

However, within hours of the poll's publication, a 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel overturned the poll results and ordered Americans to change their minds about nothingness.

"This Court finds no reasonable precedent for the deeply-held beliefs of most Americans," according to the 13-page ruling. "Therefore, the survey results will forthwith demonstrate that 71 percent of Americans favor posts about nothing, and only 24 percent oppose the concept. That said, this Court rules in favor of nothing."

Lady18wheels 12-15-2004 01:48 PM

Quote:

Americans oppose posts about nothing by a 71-24 margin
The New York Times/CBS News article went on to say:
Quote:

Nothing is an awe-inspiring yet essentially undigested concept, highly esteemed by writers of an existentialist tendency, but by most others regarded with axiety, nausea, or panic. Nobody seems to know how to deal with it and plain persons generally are reported to have little difficulty in saying, seeing, hearing, and doing nothing.
Philosophers, however, have never felt easy on the matter, and are therefore filing an appeal to the court's decision.

bluebeetle 12-15-2004 01:52 PM

In related news the FCC Chairman Powell has announced that they will be appealing this decision based on the fact that people can't think of nothing that they must be thinking something and his agency must be the one that is telling us what to think so therefore this forum will be reviewed on a daily basis to make sure that those that are doing nothing are doing something that they have approved and those that are thinking of nothing must immediately begin thinking of things that are pertinent to the issue which is nothing.

ronnieman49 12-15-2004 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebeetle
In related news the FCC Chairman Powell has announced that they will be appealing this decision based on the fact that people can't think of nothing that they must be thinking something and his agency must be the one that is telling us what to think so therefore this forum will be reviewed on a daily basis to make sure that those that are doing nothing are doing something that they have approved and those that are thinking of nothing must immediately begin thinking of things that are pertinent to the issue which is nothing.

That makes my head hurt! I am sooo confused :roll:

Twilight Flyer 12-15-2004 02:36 PM

Quote:

I am sooo confused
Yet in the overall grand scheme of the universe, that's nothing.

Lady18wheels 12-15-2004 04:05 PM

And - the friends of nothing (wonder who this might be?) may be divided into two distinct though not exclusive classes: the know-nothings, who claim a phenomenological acquaintance with nothing in particular, and the fear-nothings, who, believing, with Macbeth, that "nothing is but what is not," are thereby launched into dialectical encounter with nullity in general.

Nothing, in short, is given only in relation to what is, and even the idea of nothing requires a thinker to sustain it.

And I'd like to add that these people
Quote:

while 5% indicated that they want the wardrobes in Desperate Housewives and for all football cheerleaders to consist of nothing
belong to the latter class.

Doctor Who 12-15-2004 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebeetle
Gee Doc, I was wondering how long it was going to take before we had a posting that you would be an expert on.

Yup and I consider the above as a compliment from the BLUE guy!!!

NOTHING got to love it....

More to come as this unfolds, kinda like the sheets on the line!!!!

Doctor Who 12-15-2004 11:45 PM

Re: Nothing, you say?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
WASHINGTON -- The latest New York Times/CBS News poll showed that Americans oppose posts about nothing by a 71-24 margin, while 5% indicated that they want the wardrobes in Desperate Housewives and for all football cheerleaders to consist of nothing.

However, within hours of the poll's publication, a 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel overturned the poll results and ordered Americans to change their minds about nothingness.

"This Court finds no reasonable precedent for the deeply-held beliefs of most Americans," according to the 13-page ruling. "Therefore, the survey results will forthwith demonstrate that 71 percent of Americans favor posts about nothing, and only 24 percent oppose the concept. That said, this Court rules in favor of nothing."

Yeah what he said!!!

Quote:

Me thinks the war between Doc and Blue is fixin to commence
Naw, ain't gonna happen.. He tried some time back to get the Peoples Republic of Ohio to declare war on North Carolina or some nonsense like that all over the Wright Brothers... How original!!!

Now back to NOTHING and the space in between

lexmark 12-16-2004 12:02 AM

by "nothing", do you mean useless information?

If so, then this topic is almost but not quite, entirely unlike something.

yoopr 12-16-2004 12:25 AM

Speed Kills :P

Doctor Who 12-16-2004 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexmark
by "nothing", do you mean useless information?

If so, then this topic is almost but not quite, entirely unlike something.

Not really... No useless information either!! Just look at it like the topic where no matter what happens the information may be useful but no one will get lost while the topic gets turned from side to side and still NOTHING comes out of it, except what ever information is gleaned from all the other stuff buried within the NOTHING topic!!!

All information is useful in at least one form or another all depending on the person searching for a clue to some information which may or may not contain NOTHING within the original piece of information...

SPELL CHECK aisle 5

skyraider 12-16-2004 01:15 PM

Nothing

Everything I have ever done, and every red light that I have run, still got me here, oh what have I done.

ronnieman49 12-16-2004 03:43 PM

Re: Nothing

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyraider
Everything I have ever done, and every red light that I have run, still got me here, oh what have I done.

NOTHING? :D

Malaki86 12-16-2004 03:44 PM

Ummmm - I can't thing of anything to say about nothing

Twilight Flyer 12-16-2004 07:08 PM

Well you know what they say.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

classicxl 12-16-2004 08:57 PM

the sun shines and water is wet

macdoogle 12-16-2004 09:00 PM

Re: A Topic About Nothing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Who
...Will this meager thread go as far as the "War Between The States" parody up the page......

I see nothing "up the page" to which you refer.
I can't believe you've made this a sticky topic.
Just gets in the way, additional clutter.
First truly inane thing I've seen any admin do here.

That's my "something" comment on "nothing".

Mac

Malaki86 12-16-2004 11:47 PM

[whisper] I'm not wearing any panties [/whisper]

:mrgreen:

Doctor Who 12-17-2004 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macdoogle
Quote:

...Will this meager thread go as far as the "War Between The States" parody up the page......

I see nothing "up the page" to which you refer.
I can't believe you've made this a sticky topic.
Just gets in the way, additional clutter.
First truly inane thing I've seen any admin do here.

That's my "something" comment on "nothing".

Mac

OK it was made a sticky because it may get lost in the realm of apathy and besides it makes it all the more fun.
Plus, it's a "hijackers" paradise!!!

Are you sure it's "INANE" not "INSANE" Trust me for the amount of money you spent on checking in to the forum it's good entertainment.

Oh for further review the "page" in question is in reference to the forum page under the above title...

NOTHING for NOTHING....

macdoogle 12-17-2004 12:31 AM

Quote:

...Are you sure it's "INANE" not "INSANE"

Well, if you think "insane" is more accurately descriptive, Doc, okey dokey !

Quote:

...Trust me for the amount of money you spent on checking in to the forum ....

Touch?. Ya got a valid point there I reckon :)

Mac

littleman2 12-17-2004 03:15 AM

well maybe we need to have a post about something how can one know when they have nothing if they never had something?

yoopr 12-17-2004 03:27 AM

Everything is Nothing and Nothing is Everything

skyraider 12-17-2004 10:33 AM

Nothing

Newsflash: We are all born at a very early age with nothing and we take nothing with us when we leave. So tell the kids and wife u love them before u start that diesel this morning, it doesn't cost nothing and your day will go alot better, you ain't got nothing to loose, make it a part of your Pre-Trip,,,,,,,,,,, :D

Lady18wheels 12-17-2004 01:36 PM

Meanwhile:
Previously mentioned 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel who
Quote:

overturned the poll results and ordered Americans to change their minds about nothingness
is reconsidering it's decision based on the appeal files by the philosophers.

The Logician's Union, Local #97, from FirstLastAndMiddlesex NC, has also filed an appeal to the Court's decision. Nothing, they say,
Quote:

is not a thing, nor is it the name of anything, being merely a short way of saying of anything that it is not something else. "Nothing" means "not-anything"; appearances to the contrary are due merely to the error of supposing that a grammatical subject must necessarily be a name.
Asked, however, to prove that nothing is not the name of anything, they fall back on the claim that nothing is the name of anything (since according to them there are no names anyway).

Those who can make nothing of such an argument are welcome to the attempt.

Previously mentioned 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is also awaiting further comments from FCC Chairman Powell.

Lady18wheels 12-17-2004 02:39 PM

And everyone needs to remember that old song:
"Nothing from nothing leaves nothing.
You gotta have something
if you wanna be with me."

la la la la de da da.....

Doctor Who 12-17-2004 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady18wheels
And everyone needs to remember that old song:
"Nothing from nothing leaves nothing.
You gotta have something
if you wanna be with me."

la la la la de da da.....

Yeah but I'm Jumping Jack Flash and it's a gas, gas, gas....

I was born in a crossfire hurricane and I howled at my ma in the driving rain but it's all right now, in fact it's a gas... cos I'm....see above

littleman2 12-18-2004 12:02 AM

I am a rollin thunder driving rain Comming down like a hurrican.

damnyankee1987 12-18-2004 06:26 AM

I can hear the winds a blowing from a hurricane but I'm just a rock and thinking that nothings going to bother me.

Lady18wheels 12-18-2004 03:48 PM

Since CAD wouldn't let us talk about Twilight Flyer's libido in that other place, can we talk about it here?
http://www.lady18wheels.com/cad/an_smilie_shocked.gif

12-19-2004 12:15 AM

Wel cette vraiment marque de coutume beaucoup de sens ? n'importe qui mais ? moi quand m?me. :shock:

L18 - post only 12-19-2004 04:45 AM

Il y a mon homme Sanchez! Me dites-vous allez-vous toujours dans la direction du sexe, ou dites-vous le sexe ne signifie-t-vous rien?
:?: :?: :?:

Rambler 12-19-2004 05:08 AM

Nothing is undefined. In mathematical terms one can not prove nothing it is a concept such as infinite. One cannot divide any amount into zero, nor can zero be added. Only in theory can nothing exist All else coexists in the realm of probabilities and possibilities. There is no such magnitude to equate or quantify
NOTHING

L18 - post only 12-19-2004 05:16 AM

A hole is always a hole in something: take away the thing, and the hole goes too; more precisely, it is replaced by a bigger if not better hole, itself relative to its surroundings, and so tributary to something else. Nothing, in short, is given only in relation to what is.

Rambler 12-19-2004 02:59 PM

noth?ing
]
pron
1. No thing; not anything: The box contained nothing. I've heard nothing about it.
2. No part; no portion: Nothing remains of the old house but the cellar hole.
3. One of no consequence, significance, or interest: The new nonsmoking policy is nothing to me.

n.

1. Something that has no existence.
2. Something that has no quantitative value; zero: a score of two to nothing.
3. One that has no substance or importance; a nonentity: ?A nothing is a dreadful thing to hold onto? (Edna O'Brien).

adj.

Insignificant or worthless: ?the utterly nothing role of a wealthy suitor? (Bosley Crowther).

adv.

In no way or degree; not at all: She looks nothing like her sister.

Idioms:
for nothing

1. Free of charge.
2. To no avail: all that trouble for nothing.
3. For no reason: fired him for nothing.

in nothing flat: In very little time; very quickly.

nothing doing Informal: Certainly not.