LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2017, 10:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The "Frozen Trucker" and the Supreme Court

The case of Alphonse Maddin and the "frozen trucker" is back in the news. What would you have done if you were in Maddin's shoes?

Quote:
Alphonse Maddin was a truck driver for TransAm. Late on a January night in temperatures below zero, he discovered that his trailer’s brakes had locked up due to the cold weather. (The truck itself could drive but not when attached to the trailer). He called TransAm’s road service for help at 11:17 p.m., and then discovered that the truck cabin’s heat was broken. He fell asleep and woke up two hours later with a numb torso. Maddin also could not feel his feet. He called the road service again, and they told him to “hang in there” despite the life-threatening conditions. He waited about 30 more minutes before unhitching the broken trailer. Although his supervisor ordered him to stay, Maddin decided to drive off with the truck after almost three hours in the subzero cold. A service truck did arrive 15 minutes after he left, but it’s hard to blame him for deciding not to risk his life.

And here is a video of Al Franken scolding Judge Neil Gorsuch, and calling his decision "absurd".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcjRBNXyoGA
Old 03-22-2017, 11:47 PM
Board Icon

First off, he won his case against TransAm.

Secondly, who's fault is it that he discovered his heater was busted AFTER he left? At SNI, we were informed to ALWAYS check that BEFORE leaving out of anywhere as part of our pre trip.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:38 AM
Board Icon

To expand on my previous, I don't blame the driver at all for finally driving off in the position he found himself in. I do blame him for not being better prepared though. It's the frigging middle of winter in the upper Midwest for Christ's sake! I didn't show up in Minnesota 2 months ago with shorts and a t-shirt. I went prepared for the worst cold I've ever experienced and had no problems standing out in temps below 0 with wind chills at -20 to -30 for several hours.

Maybe he should have asked for updates on how close help was. The worst thing he did was go to sleep, you must keep moving off and on regularly to keep the blood flowing and slow the onset of hypothermia.

This should be a lesson to all drivers, check your heaters in the winter BEFORE you leave out from wherever you are. And be prepared, clothing, emergency food supplies, sleeping bags rated for below zero temps.......
Old 03-23-2017, 06:56 PM
Senior Board Member

What would I have done? Simple, I would've crawled into my nice warm sleeping bag that I have for just such a case. I've never used it in the truck except it being unrolled and under the bed sheet to add extra cushion and it saves space. It pays to be prepared!
You never know how long road service will take, on a busy night taking the calls in order it may take quite awhile. Just last night I saw a truck on the shoulder of I90 near where I get on 11 hours later I passed it again coming home! Me, I'm an impatient sob and burn up the phone with breakdown and dispatch I'll call every number I have in my phone till something happens. Many time's I wonder why I still have a job but I do

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-25-2017, 02:34 PM

i can't ever remember having anything BUT a sleeping bag with me. no white sheets, no blankets...a very good below zero sleeping bag.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:29 AM
Board Icon

I keep 2 sleeping bags with me and 2 winter jackets. Also have my heavy duty winter gear that I took up North with me. Overkill...........nope!
Old 03-30-2017, 08:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Better to have and not need than to need it and not have it! I'd list what I carry for emergencies but you'd probably think I'm nuts.
Yeah, I'm a prepper type guy.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Pocket knife here. I never want to run out of toothpicks.