User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2016, 01:30 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default "Junior Web Developer": New career move?

Hey Folks~
When I was driving, I was often amazed at how "tech-savvy" some of the drivers I met were. I'm hoping that's still the case (if it hasn't actually even increased!).
Question: I'm looking at re-training as a web developer/designer. I, for the life of me, cannot find "real people" who are willing to answer my (sometimes ridiculous) questions. I've been reading books, doing online bootcamps, and trying to practice what I've learned by applying it, but that'll never replace someone who could say, "Calm down. I've been there. Put your hair back on and let's take a look at it."
So, the idea is: Do any of you, or anyone you know, believe it's a good thing to help others learn? And, if so, would you be willing to answer questions and discuss theory with a person who is just now learning the language of coding?
I'm working, thus far, in HTML, CSS, XML, Javascript and Bootstrap. My eventual goal is to hire on as a Junior Web Developer or Designer (since I'm also a Creative/Artistic Type).
No, this has nothing to do with truck driving, I know. It's just that I met some really incredible, intelligent people, out there, and I was sort of hoping that those who had such knowledge would overlook the fact that I'm a lousy 4-wheeler, now!
Any help you can offer will be deeply, deeply appreciated! Just know, I can talk an arm and a leg off, so...just thought I'd throw that in there! lol
Jewels
P.S., I'm kind of "amped" about it because there are jobs available, in my area, that START at $37,000! So, I followed RoadHog's advice, cut way back on the coffee, and yes, I'm sleeping better! (Thanks, Hog!) However, I now CHOOSE to stay up, so I can read my books and practice typing commands into my code editor!
Let me know?

Last edited by JewelsnTools; 12-12-2016 at 01:32 AM. Reason: There. I fixed it!
Old 12-12-2016, 09:15 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Arrrrh m8,

01100010 01101001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001
00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4TPlwwHM8Q

Old 12-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Board Icon

I know little about coding and development, I do know a few things to be a bit dangerous to myself! BUT, it's an interesting move for you and so good luck! What is your plan to get there though? Are you going to 2 year it and get at least an Associate Degree? I would go after that, many only hire people with a degree, bit discriminatory in my book. Get yourself some certifications on the way will never hurt. Many places want certain certifications.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:32 PM
Board Regular

Don't know where that one went...anyway....
See how you do me, RH??
Mr. Ford,
I see the trucking industry benefiting hugely from adding more tech. I recognize how right you are about how companies value degrees and certifications, but I'd rather do self-study, for now. The idea is to learn enough to begin producing small projects (I know a mechanic who could benefit from a new website!), and build what amounts to a "project portfolio" that I could use to SHOW my work instead of discussing theory.
I've already got a 2-year degree, in another field, so I'm hoping that will be considered as proof of my ability/willingness to complete. What I was hoping for was a chance to ask questions of a real-live-person who's done some of this stuff. I'll keep them brief (choke, cough), and implement the answers given.
You're right about the degree, I know. If after I finish pulling out my hair, eyelashes, and fingernails trying to learn this stuff, I have to do it, the certification thing will be next in line! lol
Thanks for the suggestions and guidance!
Jewels
Old 12-13-2016, 03:47 PM
Board Icon

Unfortunately I don't know any coders but again, good luck with it. I may know of a company based in Cincy who should be looking for computer programmers or coders in the next few months if your near there.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Jewels, it's been quite some time!
I'm certainly not one to offer any computer type advice as I am firmly stuck in the past as evidenced by the fact that I'm still am doing the exact same gig and even have the same cell phone as I did 10 years ago! Would that be called a rut?
I do wish the best for you and hope find what you're looking for. If you still have my # and you what to shoot the breeze give me a call, I still work the same hours.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 12-15-2016, 04:31 AM
Board Regular

Mr. Ford,
PLEASE send me details on that company! I'm learning-fast and furiously- and that might just be the time frame I need to look at! It CERTAINLY offers a strong incentive to continue in this path!! Thanks, in advance!

Repete! Hi! It's good to "see" you! lol
In answer to your question, I'd say no, that's not a "rut"--that's being a dependable, stable human being who appreciates having stable, sane employment in a somewhat insane world. I can only wish I had that kind of stability in my personality...you know, my personality that's a lot like a walking tornado? lol
Life handed me a sheering, a few years back, and I'm only re-growing my fur now. Wish like HECK <that's really a cuss word.>I still had your number, I'd love to hear about everything that's happening in your fabulous Grandparent Experience, even if you don't have anything "code-y" to offer!
It's crazy--and wonderful--to me that jobs which pay such excellent wages are going unfilled because people aren't getting the skills they need early on. I've always been a secret Dilbert, so it would have been nice to find this earlier, you know? I've found free materials, online, and have a code editor built-in on my laptop, so I can practice what I'm learning. No theory-bound nonsense this time.. When I think of the hours I spent, sitting alone and bored in my truck--how AWESOME it would have been to have this as company!
Thanks for ringin' in! It's great to hear from you!
Jewels
P.S., PM me?