LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2016, 12:35 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default School Bus Crash Kills Six

A few days ago a school bus overturned in Chattanooga, TN killing 6 and injuring many others. Several are still in the hospital. The dead range from kindergarten to about 10 years old. The bus driver only had his CDL since April. He had a very poor driving record. He would have had a difficult time driving for a motor carrier with his record. I can't imagine how he could have found a job driving children around. He was no on his designated route and police estimate that he was doing at least 20 mph over the posted speed limit of 30 mph. He hit a telephone pole, went to the other side of the roadway and overturned twice landing on top of a tree which penetrated the bus. The driver was only 24 and had another job working for a nearby Amazon warehouse. He has been charge with vehicular homicide and other charges. More may be forthcoming. He is supposed to be in court today or tomorrow. He will be spending a long time in prison for his recklessness. His life and dozens of families lives are forever changed. I would ask everyone to be especially careful during this holiday season.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:11 PM
Board Icon

Some of the reports stated that he may have been on drugs or off his rocker. He made a statement as the kids were getting on about, "Yall ready to die?" I didn't realize that in TN, some areas subcontract to private bus companies instead of the locale doing it themselves. That may be part of the problem, private companies too lax?
Old 12-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There is some question whether he said something to the kids about being ready to die. His drug tests were negative. They are sending him for psychiatric evaluation. Authorities are trying to get his cell phone records and are really looking into his background. His employer has implemented new policies which will make it easier to report problem drivers. From what has been reported, this guy would never have been able to find a job with a carrier, yet he was able to get a position transporting children. Amazing.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:18 PM
Board Icon

I could be wrong but I thought I saw something about he had some prior driving issues. If true..........smh, and people come here wondering why they can't get hired after having a record that has driving issues, because of guys like this! Insurance says no friggin way!