User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2016, 01:25 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Flashing your lights

This is a tradition started way back when roads were 2 Lane and there was no such thing as air ride suspension. The need for lights to be flashed so you do get back out of the oncoming traffic quickly was a huge help when the mirrors on the trucks of the day vibrated so drastically. It was next to impossible to see the end of your rig when driving.
Now jump ahead 30 years we have a vast interstate system where most of our driving is done on 4 Lane Divided Highway. We also have air ride cabs and suspensions. You can now look in your mirror and clearly see a mile behind you.
In this time and age the need for lights to be flashed at you as you pass a vehicle are so rare that we need to stop teaching young drivers to do this in the first place. Most drivers that do this don't know how to turn the lights off instead they flash their brights at you blinding you making the situation worse than the help that it was intended. Let's face it if you're still close enough to me to even question whether or not you have passed me and want to change lanes back into my lane then you're not far enough in front of me to provide a safe following distance. The only situation that this could be possibly desired would be in heavy traffic when a four wheeler is trying to sneak up and jump that gap as soon as you get by so they can pass you on the right. In this situation yes I do still flash my lights. Adverse weather might also be another situation to Flash your lights but then following distance is even more important. So let's start a new revolution leave your damn lights alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2016, 02:56 AM
Board Icon

I certainly wasn't taught to flash my lights, that was 2004 when I got my CDL. In fact, I was informed to NOT flash my lights. If I see a driver watching that right mirror as they are close to clearing me, I will flick my lights off real quick as soon as they are clear to be nice. If I don't see them peeking, I don't mess with the lights at all. Or, if I see a truck move over to let me on from an entrance ramp, I'll flick them as a courtesy to let them know they are good to come on back over once clear of me.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Board Icon

Ckrobin might be right about the historical beginnings of the practice... I don't know. But, here is my opinion. Even with air ride, my mirrors sometime shake. And yes, bad weather makes it worse.

Turning the lights off and then back on might be preferred, but... a QUICK flash of the high beams is not really a problem. It's the jerks who put them on high for more than a split second that are stoopid! Let's face it... it is easier to reach the high/low beam handle than to reach down to the light switch. Equally disturbing is the guy who turns them off and leaves them off for too long!

First thing is.... don't STARE at your mirror! Use your peripheral vision to see if the driver has flashed you. Your eyes should remain looking ahead of you.

Second thing is... IF you just blew past me at 5 or 10 mph more than me.... DON'T slow down right in front of my front bumper and expect me to "flash" you over! You have two miles of empty road ahead of you and (usually) no one pushing you! Get on down the road! Do NOT put me in a position of having to slow down to create a safe following distance!

IF I see a car tailgating you, I might flash you over sooner just to keep that idiot from getting between us, but... do not abuse my good nature. You should KNOW if you are being tailed! If not? Get your AZZ down the road before coming over! If you don't? I may turn on my brights and LEAVE them on to tell you you are NOT "welcome" to come over!

You don't like that? Sorry... not sorry! There is a LAW against "impeding" my right of way... and I consider you putting me in a "tailgating" position impeding my right of way! But... guess who will get the ticket if a cop sees us? ME! And I have the ticket to prove it! STOP DOING IT!

I drive mostly nights and, having a faster truck, I pass a LOT of trucks every night. I'm amazed at how many of them flash me over just as soon as I have cleared their bumper. IDIOTS! I usually stay in the passing lane until I am WELL clear of them and THEN move over and "thank them" with my interrupts.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Even with air ride, my mirrors sometime shake. And yes, bad weather makes it worse.
You still drive a Columbia, right? If so, I know what you mean.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPIDarkAngel View Post
You still drive a Columbia, right? If so, I know what you mean.
you flash something else gal I would hope lol
Old 06-19-2016, 09:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchno1 View Post
you flash something else gal I would hope lol
In 8 years of driving, nobody has ever flashed me while out on the road.
Also, contrary to my profile picture on here, I'm not female. So I doubt you'd want me to flash you.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
sorry to hear that!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 06-30-2016, 07:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Also, contrary to my profile picture on here, I'm not female. So I doubt you'd want me to flash you.
I can proudly say I have both flashed and have been flashed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk