User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2016, 03:22 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I can garage the vehicle in the most advantageous state. I don't need a CDL if the vehicle is titled as an RV so yeah. The class 8 truck thing is irrelevant, once its titled as an RV. Its purely a matter of finding a reasonable insurance carrier
Old 03-14-2016, 03:56 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I didn't get where I am in life by simply giving up on a plan simply because someone else suggests its difficult.
I'm sure you didn't, but, if the plan is not working out I'm giving you an idea that could end up being better in the long run AND cheaper. Just trying to offer an alternative but I can see your so heck bent on having your cake and eating it too.......I see a lot of trucking companies that register/tag their trucks in Oklahoma or Maine. I believe the reason for that is tax purposes though and not insurance purposes.........so..........sounds like your answering your own question(s) though.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:13 AM
Senior Board Member

I wonder how that BIG camper got from IN. to the dealer that sold it. Think one of those camper haulers did it with a one ton truck? Maybe something a little bigger like a F550?
Some people get an idea in their head and it's literally a one track mind.
I wonder how much it would cost to just have someone with a truck and insurance haul the thing 2X a year. Probably a LOT less than buying a truck paying for ins. even when the truck sits for 350 or so days out of the year and we all know that maintenance doesn't cost much, right?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Rookie

The camper is being built, it hasn't gotten anywhere yet. ;--) I haven't bought the truck yet, I'm just lining up some ducks, which is going fine except for insurance, which is ridiculously expensive. Problem / solution, its just a matter of finding the solution.

I just thought you guys might have solved/answered some of these questions already.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It seems to me that your current auto insurance agent should be able to write insurance on an RV. What type of insurance are you wanting? Liability? Comprehensive? Both? Motor carriers require a $750,000 minimum auto liability insurance. Some states only require as little as $25,000 for auto liability on cars or personal vehicles. Have you checked your state to find out the minimum coverage required for an RV? It is probably the same as for a 4 wheeler. If your auto insurance agent cannot help you, then I would look for an agent that represents several insurance companies, such as Travelers that write different types of insurance.