LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2015, 11:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Road Conditions

There are a number of hazards in various parts of the country. In Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama, there has been a lot of flooding. Interstates appear to be clear in most of those states, but if you get on some of the side roads, you could run into flooded streets and even some streets that have been washed away due to the fast moving currents. I have received notifications from the Missouri DOT and some of their interstates have been closed due to icy road conditions. It could be somewhat hazardous for a few days if you are in the Dallas area due to the tornado's. Garland was especially hit hard. One of the worst hit was Garland, Rowlett near the George Bush tollway and I-30. I think I-30 was closed for a short time due to debris. I would expect the road has since been cleared, but other roads could still have debris. It is my understanding that several hundred homes were destroyed. Bad time of year to lose your home and belongings. I have heard different reports on damage and number of tornado's. One figure was for 14 tornado's. Even one could cause a lot of damage. The panhandle of Texas around Amarillo has had a lot of ice. El Paso also has a lot of ice and snow. Someone mentioned as much as a foot of snow in El Paso. I don't know if that is correct. In any case, I would urge everyone to be careful as you navigate the roads. Slow down. It is better to be late than not get to your destination. Many people are traveling back to their homes after the Christmas holiday. That can also make it more difficult to void an accident. We want everyone to start the new year without any accidents. If anyone knows of any other hazardous road conditions, please post them. Be safe!
Old 12-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Stay out of Chiraq Chicago and Dearbornistan… its a NO-GO zone, even on a nice sunni day.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:33 PM
Senior Board Member

I heard about the flooding and snow down south and I think they said blowing snow and drifts up to 3 feet in OKLAHOMA!!!
We had warnings of severe weather here in NY and the plows and salters were out in force. Yup they're prepared to bad at shift change they all went home before the storm hit! I can't believe this state. Last night was the first plow run of the year, about six weeks later than normal and they still screwed it up. We had freezing rain for hours and accumulated about 4" of real thick heavy slush on the road ways. I saw so many accidents that I lost count. One big truck lost it on a downhill and slide around and went over one guardrail and blocked all of the SB lanes, another (local truck) jacked hard to the right and completely off the road and in the ding weeds. GEEZ PEOPLE! SLOW IT DOWN!!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 01-01-2016, 03:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have been keeping an eye on the flooding and snow. St. Louis is under water. I-44 has several feet of water that would bury any 18 wheeler. I-55 has also been closed. Memphis is flooding. I hope it floods to close that scale as you cross over into Arkansas on I-40. That did happen a few years ago. It was nice to have it closed for a while. That is the only time I can recall that scale closing. Several people have been killed in this weather. Water is beginning to go down in north Georgia and southeast Tennessee. The meteorologists are predicting that we could see flooding down to the Gulf on the Mississippi for as long as the next couple of weeks. Just be careful. I guess this will continue to impact freight for a little while.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:38 AM
Board Icon

Yep, STL is deep underwater in places. Its slowly moving South...........parts of 55 and 44 had water up to overpass bridges for an exit. So the exit was under 20 ft of water.........ugly situation on par with '93. The good news is that its happening now and not in about 4 months! Or that its happening further South than '93 saw. 2011 is the closest comparison BUT the Army Corp up at the levee in Illinois is not planning to open the gates this time, thousands of farmers are counting their blessings for that call. 2011 they were ready to hang'em!
Old 01-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I received an email this morning that said that all interstates in Missouri are now open. Flooding is now moving to the southern part of the state. I think that I will try to avoid Missouri for the next couple of weeks.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Board Icon

And just a friendly reminder.......it is wintertime! Uncle was coming outta Indy just before Xmas and caught a huge gust of wind that moved him into the wrong lane. He was talking with my grandma on the phone at the time, said "GOTTA GO" and hung up on her! So stay on your toes folks, in those open areas the wind can sneak attack you with little warning during the winter. Throw in a slick road and it gets REAL interesting quickly, it's never a good thing to be drifting a 53'er at speed!
Old 01-19-2016, 04:05 AM
Board Regular

Brrrrrrrrr...It's FREEZING IN OHIO, right through now. Single digits...but the roads are pretty clear. Still, it's been wet, so watch for the usual slick spots.
Be careful out there!
Jewels
Old 01-19-2016, 06:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It has been in the low teens and even into single digit in parts of Tennessee this week. Snow and freezing rain is in the forecast and temps are supposed to rise. That could spell some nasty roads once this starts tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Board Icon

Big storm on the east coast.
You would think Godzilla is destroying the cities by the reports, but hopefully those libtards will have to pull their pants up, for a few days.