LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2015, 09:37 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The Slaves War
Andrew Ward, Richard Allen
Public library, digital audio

From the start the narrative of this book makes you wonder where it is going; revisionism or some other axe to grind? Obsessive expounding on the horrors of slavery? As it turns out, the story is a delight to read (or listen to). The authors take actual accounts from former slaves using their own words and descriptions. We find them salt-of-the-earth people; funny, honest, with interesting opinions on a variety of topics. You hear not only what many thought about slavery, but what they thought about the political and military leaders, their ’masters’ and ’mistress’, military service for freed slaves, clothes, food, etc. Wonderful stuff and enlightening even for those who feel they are well-versed in history.

The authors organize the chapters into chronological order which is logical but also really adds depth to the whole work, and the narrator uses some ‘slang from the day’ with inflections of improperly pronounced grammar that actually is endearing, not insulting. You discover that some slave’s actually thought John Brown a fool, that his actions hurt their cause (freedom). You hear of the loyalty and concern many slaves had for the welfare of their owners. You hear of the anger many slaves had toward Union soldiers for pillaging and destroying property as they marched through the South; this property was theirs (the slaves), what they had worked hard to maintain. You find that the aristocratic slave owners didn’t want their slaves to associate with poor whites because they would be a bad influence. (Decades later, one former slave felt that the teaching of slaves to ‘hate’ poor whites caused the poor whites in turn to hate the slaves, and this resulted in the animosity of southern whites and blacks to this day.)

Other interesting tidbits: *After the South lost and word spread that the slaves were free, slaves began to leave the plantation, some staying because they simply could not believe they were free so stayed on the plantation for days-weeks-months until they felt that freedom was real. *The Union army had to go into some rural areas to free the slaves because plantation owners didn’t tell them or even forced slaves to continue working. *At the start of the Civil War many slaves thought well of Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee, and thought little of Lincoln.

Summary: I highly recommend this book, I even found myself telling my family about it because some of the slaves opinions were so different from what revisionist history has said for generations. The opinions are from people who were there, and well selected to tantalize and offer a well-rounded record. Though humorous in places, the book in no way detracts from the inhumanity of slavery, it succeeds in introducing us to the PEOPLE who suffered through a terrible period of history. This book is on my reference list to listen to again and again…a rarity.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Rookie

The Training Ground
Martin Dugard

This story is primarily about some of the military leaders in the Civil War. This is not a Civil War history, but of decades prior where the main antagonist was Santa Anna and the war with Mexico. The story concept is that many of the leaders had spent time at the same military academy or serving together in battle long before the Civil War (i.e. Indian War, Mexican-American War.) Those experiences were shared serving as one country, undivided. Only later did these men have to choose whom they would fight for; the North or the South.

Dugard takes us through character background and development, relationships and trials. We see how friendships were solidified only to find themselves on opposite side’s decades later, and how men were molded into great leaders through harsh conditions. You don’t have to be a Civil War buff to enjoy this book, the stories are compelling enough. Only a few of the many battles are outlined in detail, and these alone are fascinating studies.

Some of the particular details leapt out: *Robert E. Lee was a bit of a ‘dandy’, always clean and well groomed, he didn’t smoke, swear, or drink and was a straight ‘A’ student. *Grant, on the other hand, hated school, liked the western/action novels, and was an accomplished horseman who had almost a ’spiritual’ connection with the animal. Grant was also the opposite of Lee in that he was usually in a filthy uniform, unshaven and mistaken for a regular soldier. *Braxton Bragg was tyrannical to the point of receiving death threats, yet also a military genius. *The volunteer army (non-conscripted) was always trouble, undisciplined, rowdy, even bringing their own slaves to the field to serve them. Grant described them as feeling “entitled” to better treatment than the regular soldier. *In one of the battle formations pursuing Santa Anna, Taylors units captured Mexican officers with what would be a major intelligence coup; maps! The US Army was in a war with no maps of the region, lol. *This was also a time period when new rifles were being developed yet many military commanders didn’t want them, preferring muskets. The officers who did use them found them superior to muskets and the newer repeating rifles decided many engagements.

The book flows well, entertaining and well researched supported by many documented histories during the period and supported by later biographies. A highly recommended book
Old 04-19-2015, 09:01 PM
Rookie

The Wrecking Crew
Hartman, Kent

Many of the hit songs during the 60’s and 70’s were performed by the same studio musicians, this book is about those gifted artists. In various configurations they were selected and given the ‘gig’ because in their day, they could play like no one else. Some went on to become big names on their own, some were just participants in a number of the one-hit songs. The author also gives bits of the history of many producers that later were hugely successful in the popular music of the time.

Covers mostly pop music but also some of the country and rock stars. If you are over 30 you will be able to identity a LOT of the hits and/or stars covered in the book. Nothing sinister but a positive look at the creative music geniuses of the era. Very entertaining, flows well and moves from one artist and hit song to another. Also gives the ‘behind the music’ stories for songs, artists, producers and some of their tragic ends.

A great book that leads you to YouTube or other online resources to listen to the songs and see video from the music greats of history. Easy to listen to, good narration and you might find yourself disappointed when you are done. I will listen to this book again and have a pen & paper so handy to list some of the songs and artists to look up later. Loved it!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Rookie

Killing Lincoln
Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard

This book is by design a simple, brief history of persons, events, and context leading up to the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. It smoothly gleans various documented histories that tie into a known conspiracy that led up to Booth killing Lincoln then escaping into the surrounding area for a short time. As O’Reilly’s other books, this one flows well and doesn’t elaborate too long on any one part but has a fast pace, easy to listen to. Well rounded and uses modern research findings which include updates regarding some of the mysteries related to the Lincoln assassination.

Interesting tidbits:
-During the latter part of war Lincoln often went out with no bodyguard, even after premonitions of his death. Only after it became clear the South would lose and Lincoln was receiving death threats did congress insist on a bodyguard. But even then, they were poorly trained and not reliable.
-Booth had a lot going on at this time; acting onstage, engaged to a socialite with politician father, had ongoing affairs with other women, visits with prostitutes, organizing a conspiracy to kidnap (or kill) Lincoln, meetings with numerous high level politicians, and meetings with still unknown funding sources, etc.

The story of Lincoln’s death is not all that complicated, it could be a long magazine article. The book builds this up along with added details of the war, the generals, the conspirators, and other details of the time that either had significant ties or just put the period into perspective. Overall a great book.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:04 PM
Rookie

Detroit: An American Autopsy
Charlie LeDuff
Public Library, digital audio

Unbelievable book if it wasn’t true! Leduff tells the story of his experiences in Detroit with bits of history included for context. He takes shots at all parties involved in the decline but also gives credit to those who have stayed on in spite of the corruption. An amazing account of the turmoil, crime, horror and chaos that is Detroit, you might think it was a bad movie (’Escape From New York”) but it’s real!
I do confess a bias, I spent the first 24 years of my life in Detroit and share many of the same experiences as Leduff. It would be funny if not so sad.

I’ve listened to this book 3 times and still am not done with it, it’s a great book, well told, about an ongoing tragedy.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:06 PM
Rookie

Hard Driving: The Wendell Scott Story
Brian Donovan
Print edition

I can’t get this out of my mind: Wendell Scott drove as contender against the best NASCAR drivers of his time, yet until this book Scott was selling scrap metal for income. He was a raw, tough, tenacious and GREAT driver, not very different from the other heroes of this sport (other than the color of his skin.) This book is a must-read for every NASCAR fan, young or old. If you think you have had tough times, read this book.

Tidbits:
-Scott’s first race was in a borrowed family member’s car! The track was dirt and rough, the seat came loose, the throttle broke, trans was jumping out of gear, Scott said he was being beaten to death and had to stop a few laps from the finish BUT, he was hooked.
-Scott did have some supporters within the NASCAR and the racing community that stood up for him even to the point of physical altercations. Even so, he still faced strong opposition within the racing community even as he won races. Imagine winning a race only to be denied your prize money, or those you beat crashing into your car after the race and getting away with it. His tenacity, quality of character, and refusal to let it get to him is something we sorely miss today.
-Only much later was Scott officially recognized as being the first black NASACR racer, it was wrongly attributed to another driver for decades.

A great story, includes names of many NASCAR greats who you may have a different view of after reading (and research), both good and bad. Well told, flows well and is well documented, reveals how far NASCAR has come and just how far it has drifted away from its hard-core racing past.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Rookie

from Roadhog:

We have a resident author Michael Koogler who has a couple books out. aka. Twilight Flyer.

Hade's Gambit: The Krypteia Conspiracy Book 1
Amazon.com: Hade's Gambit: Book One of the Krypteia Conspiracy (9780984984213): Michael Koogler, Jed Q. Peterson, Jaren Riley: Books

Rise of Cain: The Krypteia Conspiracy Book 2
The Rise of Cain: The Krypteia Conspiracy, Book Two: Mike Koogler, Jed Q. Peterson, Jaren Riley: 9780989612906: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks Roadhog, they are now on my list! Can't say when I'll get to them but I am definitely interested.

Steve
Old 06-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Rookie

Well, it was an interesting attempt but I'm ending this effort, I'm going back to local runs so my audiobook reviews are going to either cut way back or cease. Thanks for all who checked out my input, see you guys around.

Steve