User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2014, 04:53 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default RIP Robin Williams

This story hit me like a ton of bricks.

The Oscar-winning actor and comedian Robin Williams died this morning in California. He was 63.
"At this time, the Sheriff's Office Coroner Division suspects the death to be a suicide due to asphyxia, but a comprehensive investigation must be completed before a final determination is made," the Marin County Coroner said in a statement. "A forensic examination is currently scheduled for August 12, 2014 with subsequent toxicology testing to be conducted."

"Robin Williams passed away this morning," the actor's rep Mara Buxbaum added in a statement to ABC News. "He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss."
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

I'm shell shocked. I'm seldom at a loss for words, but I don't even know where to begin with this. Good Bye, Robin!! We'll miss you.

Last edited by Useless; 08-13-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is so tragic for someone to commit suicide when he brought so much joy to so many.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:45 AM
Senior Board Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ael2ojGGUok
Old 08-13-2014, 03:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
It is so tragic for someone to commit suicide when he brought so much joy to so many.
It leaves me quite perplexed, GMAN!!. With all of the joy that Robin Williams brought to so many, and with his illustrious records of accomplishments, WHAT in the world drove him to decide that life was no longer worth living??
Old 08-13-2014, 04:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless View Post
It leaves me quite perplexed, GMAN!!. With all of the joy that Robin Williams brought to so many, and with his illustrious records of accomplishments, WHAT in the world drove him to decide that life was no longer worth living??
with the amount of money he had you would think he only be happy
Old 08-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:

You never know what demons lurk within someone. They can appear to have everything, but be miserable. I think many of these comedians suffer from depression. According to the news reports, Robin had been suffering from addiction and depression for years. His house was on the market due to him no long being able to afford it. The price was reported to be $35 million. It goes to show you that money doesn't buy happiness. Those with a strong faith seem to be more able to deal with life's ups and downs. Seeking solace from a bottle or needle doesn't compare with a strong spiritual belief. There is no telling what finally pushed Robin to take his own life. The autopsy is not yet final so we don't know if suicide is the actual cause of his death, but circumstantial evidence does indicate that to be the case. Such a waste. His family must be devastated.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Not only did he commit suicide but HOW he did it! Slow strangulation with a belt tied to a door knob!
He could've stopped at any time just by standing up. He must've been a very tortured soul.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 08-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Not only did he commit suicide but HOW he did it! Slow strangulation with a belt tied to a door knob!
He could've stopped at any time just by standing up. He must've been a very tortured soul.
Now, methinks the pieces to the puzzle may be starting to fit together. Today, Robin's wife, Susan Schneider, disclosed that he was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease. I've seen what Parkinson's does to people.

I have a feeling that if Robin Williams couldn't live life to the fullest, then he'd rather not live at all. He always struck me as one who would rather go out full throttle, than to surrender to a disease that would slowly steal his body, mind, and Spirit, as Parkinson's does.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Now, methinks the pieces to the puzzle may be starting to fit together. Today, Robin's wife, Susan Schneider, disclosed that he was in the early stages of Parkinson's disease. I've seen what Parkinson's does to people.

I have a feeling that if Robin Williams couldn't live life to the fullest, then he'd rather not live at all. He always struck me as one who would rather go out full throttle, than to surrender to a disease that would slowly steal his body, mind, and Spirit, as Parkinson's does.

Michael J Fox has had Parkinson's for years and seems to get along pretty well, although I am sure that it is challenging, at times. I can see how it might have been difficult for Robin to be facing such a disease. His comedy has always been very physical. That could have been more difficult with Parkinson's. I would imagine that it would have made his depression much greater. Material wealth is no indicator of happiness or health. Poor health, depression or disease can strike anyone at any time.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Michael J Fox has had Parkinson's for years and seems to get along pretty well, although I am sure that it is challenging, at times. I can see how it might have been difficult for Robin to be facing such a disease. His comedy has always been very physical. That could have been more difficult with Parkinson's. I would imagine that it would have made his depression much greater. Material wealth is no indicator of happiness or health. Poor health, depression or disease can strike anyone at any time.
Hi, Gman;

You are correct in your observations of Michael J Fox, but the dynamics of MJF's and RW's personalities and projections were quite different. Michael J. Fox was a talented actor, to be sure; but Robin Williams was pure, unadulterated energy. He ad-libbed the vast majority of his script in "Good Morning, Vietnam". (I still maintain that he should have won the Oscar for Best Actor in GMV) His role in "Good Will Hunting" was partially borne of improv. His remarks of how his wife "farts in her sleep" were total improv. As much as I like Michael J. Fox, an applaud him for his courage in making his battle with Parkinson's Disease public, he could never match Robin Williams in those realms, nor within RW's realms of intensity.

Television hosts from Johnny Carson, to David Letterman, to Jay Leno, to Conan O'Brien, and Oprah Winfrey all noted that having Robin Williams as a guest was great for the ratings, but difficult for the producers and assistant (set) directors, due to the fact that Robin would immediately assume command of the stage and take control of the audiences. He did them in ways that, IMO, were unmatched by any other performer, past or present.

In television, timing is everything, and it is literally measured in fractions of seconds; otherwise, placing sponsor's commercials within allotted time frames (as per contractual stipulations) becomes much more difficult, and guests can wind up "stepping on" the time allotments for succeeding guests. Still, Robin, the assistant directors, and the producer's manged to get everything to mesh.

What many people don't understand is that the talents of many extraordinary performers flow from some very dark realms that exist within their mental frameworks. The comedic genius of many of the most successful comedians are often rooted in dark, menacing valleys of unresolved anger. George Carlin was an excellent example of a comedian who used his anger as a tool for inspiring his works. Look at comedians like Lenny Bruce, John Belushi, and Freddy Prinze. For all of their talents, they all lived in some very dark valleys.

One of the greatest singer/songwriters of the 1970's was John Denver. At the expense of showing our ages a bit, (Don't know about you, but I'm 29!!) I'm sure you remember the era of "Denvermania". John was so popular that his concerts often sold out in a matter of hours, not days. Frank Sinatra was willing to accept second billing when he and JD performed together in Las Vegas; yet, for all of his considerable talents, his former wife, Annie, said that even his most touching love songs came from very sad realms within his Spirit. "Annie's Song" was written after he and Annie had had a heated argument. "Perhaps Love" was written during their divorce proceedings. "Sweet Surrender" was written in the throes of a serious bout of depression.

While JD's death wasn't the result of suicide, Annie observed that in the weeks preceding his death, John had resolved some longstanding issues and internal conflicts, and he had mended some fences in his past relationships with others; most notably, with his former manager, Jerry Weintraub. Many of the wounds in their relationship with each other were in the processes of healing as well. She said that he seemed to have had a new found peace in his life. He also was one to live life to the fullest, and he also seemed to go out out full throttle.

For the life of me, I can't imaging Robin Williams being able to live his life any other way but to the fullest; pure, unadulterated energy, full throttle. Methinks that when he saw that slipping away, the depression took serious hold, and.........
........well, the rest is history.

Last edited by Useless; 08-15-2014 at 09:23 PM.